Your opinion, what species in the Terran Empire Universe needs more defining?

Hermit

While, as far as I know, Hero doesn't do "race books" or such ("The complete guide to the Malvan" ;)), it does seem quite a few species in the Terran Empire that already exist could use some fleshing out. A few because they're so fascinating, and a few, well, because they seem rather 'so so' with what little we have on them.

Do you think Hero/DoJ should try to flesh some of them out more? If so, which ones? And how (entire books, DH articles, etc?)?

Well, when I do an alien race, I try and do at least a few examples of them. A few sample members of each race would be nice, to give a feel for them.

I would also like more races added that are lower in technology. Our own world does not have iniform technology (as Afghanistan, Haiti, Mozambique, and Singapore demonstrate). Why should the universe?

Some races may join these interstellar empires simply because the empire promises to restict technology importation (which will probably keep whatever power structure is in place on the planet in power.)

Some more information about the governments would also be nice. Is anyone allied to each other? If so, why?

In a way, I'm with Ben -- though I'd really like to see them expanded in groups.

I have an expanding set of notes on the Mon'dabi Federation, for example, including expansions on the Kadathari and other Federation species, and more on the Mon'dabi themselves. I wouldn't mind seeing (read: I would purchase) others' work on other major Galactic powers -- Ackalians, Thorgons, Varanyi, Mandaarians, and so forth -- and the species contained therein.

Originally posted by Kristopher

I know there are lots of species detailed in the Terran Empire book. Still, I don't think it would hurt to see an entire book dedicated to detailing the species in more depth, especially those that only have little blurbs and sidebars in TE.

I think we can expect to find a lot of this ground covered in World Of Empire next year. :)

Originally posted by Hermit

Will that cover just the Terran Empire? or the other empires and their races as well?

We'll probably have to wait and see... though I personally am hoping for the latter. I'd like to see a full write-up (similar to what's been given to the Fex and Koljiak) for every species so much as mentioned in the Terran Empire book but not given such a write-up.

Originally posted by Hermit

I would love to see what the Powers that Be have to say on that :)

Well, my idea originally came from many discussions I've had with Darren about that very concept. There are a few things keeping us from doing something like this:

- Our production schedule is tight enough as it is, and adding more books to it would require that time be taken away from our other products.

- Shades of Black kind of showed us how well PDFs would sell... and that answer was "not very". So to dedicate more resources to a series of books that won't make us any money is determental to say the least.

I mean, if we had 50 million dollars then it would be a different story. But I haven't hit the lotto yet, so nothing doing.

What I'd do, Ben, is see how Worlds of Empire sells next year, and then if it does well, consider starting print books on the other major Galactic powers -- I'm speaking here of actually putting them on the schedule, not squeezing in PDF books as time allows. The Mon'dabi and the Se'ecra (in that order) seem to have the favored status out of this group; personally, given that (as revealed in another thread) about half of the active TE campaigns touch on space piracy at one level or another, the Drago's Reach or (more likely) the Vorsan Expanse would be a good choice for further testing the waters.

Just my tuppence. :D

Oh, absolutely. If we discover that Worlds of Empire sells really well, that will definitely be taken into consideration... but given the lack of popularity compared to Champions on Fantasy Hero supplements, it'll take some impressive numbers to get more SH supplements added to the schedule.

But time will tell. :)

Originally posted by Ben Seeman

Oh, absolutely. If we discover that Worlds of Empire sells really well, that will definitely be taken into consideration... but given the lack of popularity compared to Champions on Fantasy Hero supplements, it'll take some impressive numbers to get more SH supplements added to the schedule.

That's too bad. I guess it's no suprise that Champions is king of the heap. But all the Star Hero material has been top notch. I've certainly picked up all of it. It would be a shame if no more were to come out.

Yeah, I figured that the trouble SoB had selling (though, I'm glad I finally took a chance, well worth it) might nix much focus on future PDF Ebooks. Nothing beats having it in your hands though.

Hope Worlds of Empire (And I'll be looking forward to any more details on just what that covers) sells well :)

EDIT: I almost think that if "Alien Species Expansion" books were done, it might be a good idea to have a focus on a main race, and a minor one in the same book... both in the same region of space.