Warhammer 40K

Grond

I'll hook to the previous request for a Cyberpunk conversion... has anybody ever worked on a conversion between Warhammer 40k and Hero? I really think it's one of the best setting ever created, and it would be lots of fun to play it with the best system :), besides can anybody point me to a good source of WH40K background? I ponly have a scattering of books but I'd like to have more infos about power players, personalities, planets etc....

I've run an on-again/off-again WH40K game - usually short one or two evening games or pick up games at Cons. It's very well suited for Con games: take a bunch of marines - send them into a ship filled with Orks/Necrons/Genestealers: finish by congratulating any survivors :-)

Anyway, the weapons and gear conversions are listed here:

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/markdoc/Inquisitor/inquistor_index.htm

Warning: I tried to stay as close to the feel and relative power of WH40K, so some of the weaponry is just ridiculously lethal.

As for source material, if you are planning on running games in the WH40K universe, I'd recommend the inquisitor rulesbook. It's for their large scale skirmish wargame and as usual for GW has some nifty art, plenty of background fluff and a smattering of badly-thought-out rules. But it's a perfect starting place for a Hero system game since it gives background and motivation for really diverse characters.

cheers, Mark

the four choas gods

I tried working up a War hammer 40K campaign for a champions setting: what if the four gods, using their warp powers found a way to contact a mage to construct a chaos gate to eventually teleport a large choas host containing the four major choas dieties : Korn, Nurgle, Slaneesh and Tzeenth. I'm still stuck making power levels which can quickly get out of control with these guys. Also it seems to me that any mortal who comes in contact with the choas gods begin themselves to be possesed. I'm not really sure how to construct all this and keep it, well, not overwhelming. I'll try to post the campaign or what I have of it very soon if anyone is interested...

e

Re: the four choas gods

Originally posted by bloomann

I tried working up a War hammer 40K campaign for a champions setting: what if the four gods, using their warp powers found a way to contact a mage to construct a chaos gate to eventually teleport a large choas host containing the four major choas dieties : Korn, Nurgle, Slaneesh and Tzeenth. I'm still stuck making power levels which can quickly get out of control with these guys. Also it seems to me that any mortal who comes in contact with the choas gods begin themselves to be possesed. I'm not really sure how to construct all this and keep it, well, not overwhelming. I'll try to post the campaign or what I have of it very soon if anyone is interested...

e

Er...considered getting a copy of the WHFRPG and modding it to scifi by adding in the 40k weapons and a few tropes?

The main issue I ran into wasnt converting 40k mechanically -- that was very easy actually -- but rater coming up with a plausible campaign without heavily forcing the players into straightjackets on what they could play.

Basically everything in the 40k Universe has a background which is nothing more than a list of half-ass reasons to fight every other race if the whim arises, and everyone is very xenophobic/ethnocentristic.

There are a few bits where you get disparate entities teaming up (like the Inquisitor angle), but they are rare and kind of been-there-done-that thanx to the novels.

I ended up planning to base everything in an outskirt system with 3 settled bodies not claimed by any of the major powers/races, where a sort of lawless free trading zone has arisen. Most of the races/factions other than 'Nids either had a colony, an outpost, or an interest there. It allowed for most character concepts, and a variety of adventures.

It never even got past conception bcs i was the only 40k-er (or wargamer period) in the play group at that time, and I couldnt find any 40k players interested in RPing.

• 3 months later...

the best recomendation i have is to try an track down a copy of teh old ROUGE TRDAER MANUAL which was teh original 40K rule book way back when its got a more roleplay sensetive style with plot tables and sociological information as well as the constant war stuff they brought in to sell more minitures. its actually a lot like teh WFRP hand book but without the definate roleplaying rules that that book has.