Leech Seed

whitekeys

Comin' at you with more Pokemon stuff. If it gets annoying, let me know ;)

How would you build Leech Seed?

Leech seed, a damaging grass-type attack, is an attack that plants a seed in the opponent pokemon, and each turn drains 1/16 of the Pokemon's health. The HP drained is then absorbed by the attacking pokemon, to heal it. Other details are not necessarily relevant.

This seems to me to be a Unified Drain and Heal. However, the Drain is technically temporary, right? I had been modelling a lot of the Drain-based powers (Status moves, in the video game) with a Delayed Return Rate (Lasts until the end of battel; +1). Blast is perhaps more appropriate (STUN only campaign).

Absorption seems the most appropriate for "absorbing" things, but it requires damage to be dealt to the seeder, not damage being dealt to the seedee.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Since it is only about HP (STUN in Hero terms most likely):

Attack, AVAD/NND, Damage over Time

Wich a linked or triggered heal/self aid, Effect over Time

Edit 1:

It could help if you just give us a game ability description, like this one:

http://pokemondb.net/move/leech-seed

Especially the connection to Rapid Spin is relevant. It appears to remove a whole host of "Trap" moves:

http://pokemondb.net/move/rapid-spin

Maybe you should ask how Rapid Spin does that. And then build each of those power to be negated by Rapid Spin (and in this case being gras type or tapping out).

Edit 2:

Those power negated by "Rapid Spin" seem to follow one of these two patterns:
"[Power Name] inflicts damage on the first turn then traps the opponent, causing them to lose 116 of their maximum HP after each turn, for 4-5 turns. If the user holds a Grip Claw then it is always 5 turns."

The second pattern deters switching pokemon out:
"[Power Name] lays a trap of [special effect] around the foe, which [damage] Pokémon switching in to the opposing field."

Damage Over Time is a great idea. 

I'm not attempting to replicate each aspect of how the attack works in the Pokemon video game. That's why I said "Other details are irrelevant." In fact, I should have left out 1/16 of the HP, because that's also not what I wanted to do. I have no problem buying d6's of damage for any damage the Leech Seed attack would do in a HERO Power. I simply wanted to build an attack power that healed the attacker at equal proportions to the damage dealt over time. 

One of my problems is that I'm not quite sure the difference between Unified and Linked, or what are the best ways to get two different effects to occur at the same time. I always hear about Linked. I'm not surprised it was the first suggestion. I rarely hear anything about Unified, though. 

One of my problems is that I'm not quite sure the difference between Unified and Linked, or what are the best ways to get two different effects to occur at the same time. I always hear about Linked. I'm not surprised it was the first suggestion. I rarely hear anything about Unified, though. 

Unified means two powers are drained as if they were one.

It replaces the 5E and earlier construct of "Elemental Controls" (wich were a Framework wit hte same effect, but much more difficult balance).

Common examples include "Unified (Fire Powers; -1/4)". Another example I can think of is: "Unified (Kryptonian Powers under a Yellow or Blue Sun; -1/4)"

It is primarily a metagame Limitation, however. Each of those builds is as viable as without Unified.

Linked means you can not use one Power (the lesser; the linked power) without also using the higher (the power the lesser power is "linked too").

Lesser and higher is usually identified by AP cost of either power (higher AP = higher), but you can override that for a lessened limitation. The only place Linked and Unified overlap for me is "Proportional use", wich is something you have to choose.

In this case I would link the healing/Aid to the attack, regardless of AP.

Interesting. I suppose I hadn't understood what Steve meant what he said "over-arching 'meta-power'" in the rule book, although it does then go on at length about negative adjustment powers. 

Oops! So it's not necessarily the case that a two Unified attack powers can be used at the same time? They have to be linked? I was actually waiting on a response from Steve on this, but maybe he's taking a really long time to retract his hand after slamming it hard against him forehead ..  :stupid: lol

Interesting. I suppose I hadn't understood what Steve meant what he said "over-arching 'meta-power'" in the rule book, although it does then go on at length about negative adjustment powers. 

Oops! So it's not necessarily the case that a two Unified attack powers can be used at the same time? They have to be Linked? I was actually waiting on a response from Steve on this, but maybe he's taking a really long time to retract his hand after slamming it hard against him forehead ..  :stupid: lol

Oops! So it's not necessarily the case that a two Unified attack powers can be used at the same time? They have to be linked? I was actually waiting on a response from Steve on this, but maybe he's taking a really long time to retract his hand after slamming it hard against him forehead ..  :stupid: lol

Linked means two powers must be used together.

You can always use two independant powers together in one Attack. That is considered a Combined Attack (6E2 74). While listed under Multiple attack, it counts like a form of Strike.

Only real requirement is that you can use both powers at the same time. i.e., having two Pistols and/or having both powers assigned in your Multipower at teh same time.

"For example, suppose a military robot in a Science Fiction campaign has a pulson blaster (Blast 8d6) built into its right hand and a laser (RKA 2d6, Armor Piercing) built into its lef. If it fres each of them once against a single target, that’s a Combined Attack, performed as a standard Attack Action with +0 OCV, +0 DCV modifers"

Right. Now that you mention this in conjunction with Multiple Attack, I think I knew that, but it never came to mind. I'm not sure if it's much different, but here I'm thinking of two very different effects coming from one attack. Maybe that's overcomplicating it, but Linked seems to suffice for the purpose.