Underwater Combat

TechnoViking

Funny you should mention this. In the Environmental Conditions section of 5E, it says you have a -2DCV and -2DC in combat under water. This is related to the Talent: Aquatic Movement which buys off these penalties, and which I just a few minutes ago asked a question about the cost in the 5E questions section to Steve Long.

Originally posted by Blue

Was there something else used in earlier versions? I'm just curious. I'm trying to remember if there was something in Scourge from the Deep, because I've been thinking about digging up that ol' chestnut to torture my newer players with.

Scourge was the only 3rd ed product with any kind of complete information. I always thought it was somewhat clunky, fiddly and arbitrary. I also wasn't very interested in the villians. So I wouldn't recomend it.

Target: Hero and V.O.I.C.E. of Doom both had some basic underwater rules as well for their underwater scenes. And I believe Super Agents also had some info with the bit about the UNTIL submarines.

Atlantis is the only 4th ed product that I can think of that had any underwater bits in it. And it seemed a lot cleaner and consistant than Scourge. But much of it was the same.

Atlantis had fairly extensive and detailed rules and options for underwater combat, diving and the hazards thereof, effect on Perception, Skill and Talent use, and optional modifications to various Powers based on their SFX. The section is indeed based on the comparable portion of Scourge from the Deep, but covers more and is almost totally 5E compatible. The book also included writeups for common diving gear, weapons, and sample submersibles.

It is also a well-written and generally :cool: book. Interestingly enough, a lot of the background and history of the 5E Atlantis given in Champions Universe is very similar to this book; much of Atlantis could readily be used as a sourcebook for the new CU.