What TE alien species had magic?

Hermit

That's right, after all, officially magic is taking a holiday during the times of the Terran Empire; a long one. Surely, however, the Earth isn't alone in once having been strong in it (The Thane are proof of that). So what races do you think were once more mystical than scientific before the big drop of mana/juice/whatever you want to call it?

My own guesses include the Elpadens, on the planet Osiris. I mean, when you think about it:

1. Seemed to have 'tech' as high as Earth's at one time... but then, the Earthlings don't know the magical side of history, so that would be a fair guess at magic right?

2. They have strange artifacts laying around.

3. No one knows WHY their 'civilization ' vanished. Maybe it was held together magically? We have a variation of the sinking of Atlantis kind of thing , only with sand

Who knows, during the 20th century HEROverse, Osathri sorcerers could be swimming the "Etheral Ocean" while Fex Shamans chanted.

Yeah, I know this isn't exactly Sci Fi (quite the opposite in fact) but as it might have shaped the cultures of the races, I can't help but wonder.

A friend of mine once built a fantasy world where magic was so strong that the most powerful sorcerers could travel through space and move planets. I'd like to think that, just perhaps, at the peak of the Turakian Age magic is like this (and I hope Steve sees this and takes it as a suggestion). :)

I could certainly see some high magic among the Fassai and Mon'dabi during that same period, and I think the Kalishari would have their own magical forms.

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

I could certainly see some high magic among the Fassai and Mon'dabi during that same period, and I think the Kalishari would have their own magical forms.

Since no one else is biting at this topic, let me ask why you pictured those particular races? :)

Originally posted by Hermit

Since no one else is biting at this topic, let me ask why you pictured those particular races? :)

Fassai -- Everything about this species just screams "Klingon" -- and if there was magic in the Star Trek universe, they'd be the first to have it. They are a highly traditional people, a characteristic typical of a culture with long-standing roots in the supernatural. I can definitely picture them having many enchanted artifacts, learning high-powered combat spells, and basically being good Turakian Age orcs. ;)

Mon'dabi -- Though nothing's ever been said in this manner, I imagine the Mon'dabi as having a strong connection with nature. Most of the Mon'dabi one would encounter off the homeworld are less traditional in their thoughts, but the common mode of dress suggests to me something between druidism and ancient Arabian mysticism.

Kalishari -- Again, the suggestion of mysticism is something intangible or inexpressible, probably having more to do with their clothing, general appearance, and deeply-rooted traditions than anything more concrete. I imagine their magic as having resembled a mixture of Arabian and Chinese traditions.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

I get the distinct impression that the Malvans were once strong in the mystic arts, just from some of the descriptions in Firewing's history in Conquerors, Killers and Crooks: the "Wisdom Stones," the "Furnace of the First Ones" resemble magical artifacts far more than products of technology.

And the fact that the "Golden Hunters of Malva" and their 'war' with a certain 'elder' species is just screaming for story seeds :D

Fassai -- Everything about this species just screams "Klingon" -- and if there was magic in the Star Trek universe, they'd be the first to have it. They are a highly traditional people, a characteristic typical of a culture with long-standing roots in the supernatural. I can definitely picture them having many enchanted artifacts, learning high-powered combat spells, and basically being good Turakian Age orcs. ;)

Hmm, they do strike me as sort of Celtish (in a mythological way) at times. That and their birthing process is probably highly ritualized, and during times of magic would be a likely source of power. I'm personaly trying to pull them (and the Perseid) away from the Klingon image, but I confess it's not easy.

Mon'dabi -- Though nothing's ever been said in this manner, I imagine the Mon'dabi as having a strong connection with nature. Most of the Mon'dabi one would encounter off the homeworld are less traditional in their thoughts, but the common mode of dress suggests to me something between druidism and ancient Arabian mysticism.

I'd say you're just biased ;) But nope, I agree. The whole fireworship thing reminds me of Zorrastionism and other old Persian views.

Kalishari -- Again, the suggestion of mysticism is something intangible or inexpressible, probably having more to do with their clothing, general appearance, and deeply-rooted traditions than anything more concrete. I imagine their magic as having resembled a mixture of Arabian and Chinese traditions.

Those I don't see as much, but I have a player who adores the race and she'd probably agree totally. Then again, I know zip about chinese mysticism (Barring what one sees in really bad movies). There might also be some alchemy expertise during magic periods.

Generally though, I think the less technologically advanced races might have been the most mystical ones at one time. Their reliance on magic helping to explain why they are behind others during the time of TE.

That's just my thought on it though, YMMV.

Hmm, they do strike me as sort of Celtish (in a mythological way) at times. That and their birthing process is probably highly ritualized, and during times of magic would be a likely source of power. I'm personaly trying to pull them (and the Perseid) away from the Klingon image, but I confess it's not easy.

Actually, I don't see Klingons in the Perseids. I do see them in the Ackalians, but with a lot of different flavoring.
Those I don't see as much, but I have a player who adores the race and she'd probably agree totally. Then again, I know zip about chinese mysticism (Barring what one sees in really bad movies). There might also be some alchemy expertise during magic periods.
If you can find a copy, check Steve Long's Watchers of the Dragon (the last printed 4th Ed supplement). It has a decent selection of Chinese sorcery.

(Incidentally, on the topic of Kalishari, you might pass this idea on to your GM, or use it yourself if you're the GM: in my ongoing write-up of the Mon'dabi Federation, the Ingaladi has taken up residence in a secret enclave in the Nine Worlds Kingdom -- so secret even his hosts don't know about it....)

Well, with the Perseid it's mostly that face thing, and when Ironclad first appeared in the Champions, a lot of fans seemed to dismiss him as a "Worf Wanna Be" hence my concern they've got klingons on the mind when thinking of Dorvalans.

As for the Ingaldi ;) Funny you should mention them. I am GM for my campaign, and I portray the nobles in exile as being on the move with several 'outpost' planets they keep secret, so your idea works perfectly. Cahira, the Kalshari PC, is actually of the Ingaldi (but no real chance of getting the throne). I think I might incorporate your suggestion :)

Thanks.

And the fact that the "Golden Hunters of Malva" and their 'war' with a certain 'elder' species is just screaming for story seeds :D

You got it, Hermit. In my own game, there's a 'mystic artifact' one hero uses, specially useful against demons/undead, that turned out to be from Malva circa 50,000 BC or so.

And I was thinking of maybe doing something special with a group of heroes going up against the Elder Wyrm and their Thane flunkies again and again through history -- though I've yet to decide if they'll be the same heroes or just their souls/minds (a la' Robert E. Howard's reincarnation stories)