Help with campeign

JmOz

I need help...I want to do a campeign around a hero going missing and a team of replacements searching for him.

Basic set up is that the hero's  "grandfather" will assemble the team, provide a base, run support, etc...

I already kind of know what happened to the hero, what I don't know is how to run an investigation based campaign...usually it has been fight the bad guys type of thing, which I plan on having a lot of (As the city has gone to hell without the hero).

Any suggestions?

Hero Background is well flushed out: He is an ancestrial hero (Think the Phantom) named the Fox.  He has two (or four depending on how you count a couple of them) partners, both of his primary are also missing (Cub and Vixen).  He was not a killer but has probably put the hurt on ALOT of people.  I also know who the killer is (Don't have a name but have a very good idea about him, his motives, etc,,,).  The city is extremly corupt

Is the killer going to try to take advantage of the hero's absence? Is he one of the major players in the power struggle?

If so, the PCs will run into him quickly enough. That's not the same as realizing he did it, of course.

Who are his (or her) rivals? Do they know, or reasonably suspect, that he did it? If so, they might eventually find it worthwhile to finger him to the PCs, so they will take him down.

Failing that, who witnessed the crime? Or at least, who saw the hero before it? Knowing where or at least when it happened is a big clue. Witnesses tend to become potential victims for the PCs to protect. They may have criminal ties of their own, or they might be genuinely innocent bystanders.

A good dose of coincidence doesn't hurt.

Obviously you don't need to rush things. The PCs can run around doing a lot of "fire brigade" work before they make any real headway. That gives them a chance to get to know who the power players in the city are. Just be careful your (real) players don't get frustrated.