How does decapitation work?

If you are using the impairing/disabling rules it is suggested that an unimportant NPC that takes a disabling wound be considered dead.  If the disabling wound is a head shot count it as a decapitation.  For an important NPC or PC if a head shot does enough damage to kill the character when at full BODY in a single attack count it as being decapitated. These only apply to decapitating in combat.   

Out of combat you just have to figure out the defense and body of a corpse, which is likely different from that of the character.  For the most part a human sized target body can probably use 10 BODY for this.  A character’s powers may modify this.  Given enough time and a weapon capable of damaging the corpse you can hack the head off anything.          

14 hours ago, Ockham's Spoon said:

I have never assigned a specific mechanic to decapitation, it is just a description used in combat.  If a player does a butt-load of damage and their opponent is killed by the blow, I might describe it as decapitation.  Or getting cut in two, or some other colorful demise.  The only time it is really important is if you are trying to kill something that can only be killed with decapitation, in which case they would have to declare a head shot before doing the butt-load of damage.

I definitely have to agree with you. You don't need rules to state that the killing attack cut someone's head off from a head shot, or pierced their heart from a chest shot, or caused their intestines to slip out from a vitals/stomach shot. That's all just part of the role-playing. When someone dies the GM should give a good description, especially if that person is an enemy leader or a powerhouse. It should be part of the role-playing, not part of the rules.

If a creature or character has a weakness to decapitation then having some rules for said decapitation is probably a good idea.   Vampires in fiction are often killed permanently if they are decapitated.  If this is not a factor than using the narrative approach is fine. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/6/2024 at 5:45 PM, LoneWolf said:

If a creature or character has a weakness to decapitation then having some rules for said decapitation is probably a good idea.   Vampires in fiction are often killed permanently if they are decapitated.  If this is not a factor than using the narrative approach is fine. 

Then I would say the best way would to state that the damage would need to be double the total body of the target to the head with attacks that are stating that they are to decapitate. 

I suggested basically the same thing in an earlier post.   The book suggested that an impairing hit to the head kills an unimportant NPC or creature.   Any hit to the head that instantly kills the creature could be considered a decapitation hit if the has any specific weakness vs decapitation.