Cyber Hero

ShadowRaptor

I was wondering if there are any plans on a release for an upcoming Cyber Hero sourcebook, or if anybody knows if any of the older versions can be found, where at?

Or, has anybody designed their own custom cybernetics and is there a good website where some can be found?

Any help would be great and I thank you in advance.

Re: Cyber Hero

Originally posted by ShadowRaptor

I was wondering if there are any plans on a release for an upcoming Cyber Hero sourcebook, or if anybody knows if any of the older versions can be found, where at?

Or, has anybody designed their own custom cybernetics and is there a good website where some can be found?

Any help would be great and I thank you in advance.

I put a lot of cybernetics stuff into the KAZEI 5 sourcebook, which HERO sells as a e-book in the website store. Feedback has been very positive on it.

I was wondering if there are any plans on a release for an upcoming Cyber Hero sourcebook

Yes, but not for some time -- 2006 at the earliest, I'd say. There are too many more popular or important products to do first. That's why I included more cyberpunk info in SH than I otherwise would have -- to sort of tide people over and give them ideas in the interim. ;)

I haven't checked out Kazei-5, but it sounds like I should.

Just a caution, if you are thinking about digging up the original Cyber Hero.

While it has some great ideas... and I used it to death a decade ago... it is horribly flawed in it's use of the Hero System to build cybernetics, guns, etc. It is kind of the poster child, IMO, of how the flexibility of Hero can go horibbly, horibbly, wrong.

I'm a KISS kind of guy (Keep It Simple Stupid) and Cyber Hero complicates things to a degree I found unneccesary.

Again... you can get some great ideas from the book... but I'd caution against using it as the "bible" for Hero System cybernetics, etc. I'd really stay away from their deck building and net running concepts, and find something more simple and straight forward.

(Example, what we did, was use a modified multi-form to exemplify your persona on the web. The points you spent on Multi-form were basically your deck, and then you built a skill/power character that existed only on the web, and functioned in that world, ala Snow Crash. Simple and intuitive, and allows the GM to create an entire fictional universe inside the "net", which can be a campaign all to itself.)

Good luck with your game, however you end up running it.

Originally posted by RDU Neil

I'm a KISS kind of guy (Keep It Simple Stupid) and Cyber Hero complicates things to a degree I found unneccesary.

KAZEI 5 reduced all the cybernetics limitations from CYBER HERO down to one simple limitation "Cyberware" for -1/4.

That was it. It sort of lumped all sorts of minor effects into one set value. Worked pretty well (and still does, IMO).

Yes!

RE: the -1/4 limitation

We did something similar... but I added on an extra limitation for "removable" in the case of folks who could have their limbs taken away/off. Almost a focus limitation... since we did have one character end up in a room, with both his legs removed, and was stuck until he could get rescued.

Still, it was -1/4 for everyone's cybernetics... and if they wanted something to further limit them... it was optional, rather than required.

Too many limitations, and folks were walking around with pocket tactical nukes for 1pt a piece! :D

Originally posted by ShadowRaptor

That sounds interesting. I don't plan on getting the old Cyber HERO book, planning on getting the official one when it gets released. 2006, that is a long time to wait, so Kazei 5 sounds like a good book to get right now.

And I hope to be able to produce a 5th Edition version of the book one day (after the offical CYBER HERO is released).

• 4 years later...