Fiction emulation: Warging\Skinchanging

TranquiloUno

I've got a player interested in, "like, maybe, warging?", and so I ask: How would you build that in Hero?

Buying your special animal friends as followers and then buy limited mind control? Multiform with "leaves human body behind when assuming other forms"?

I did a quick search of the forums and warg\warging\skinchanging didn't seem to come up besides in reference to large wolves.

How would you write up an ability to mentally possess animals while leaving your physical body behind?

There is a Possession Power in one of the APG-which I don’t have. But I think the absolutely easiest way to Warge would be to buy multiforms with proper limits-such as only available animals. Also have a Side Effect on this that the Warger leaves Body behind.  I am debating though that maybe instead of multiform, perhaps Varible Power Pool would be better.

This would be the the G. R. R. Martin definition of the word, rather than the J. R. R. Tolkien  definition, yes?  If so, how are the " animal companions" described? Assuming they have their own character sheets, the main character would need mind link with each of his animal companions and a mind control power with limitations like only works on mind linked targets, user is 0DCV and treated as asleep as per the rules when using the mind control,, isn't effective if targets EGO and INT are above 8 so that the automatic targeting over mindlink slides off  normal humans and above. Something like that?

20 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

This would be the the G. R. R. Martin definition of the word, rather than the J. R. R. Tolkien  definition, yes?  If so, how are the " animal companions" described? Assuming they have their own character sheets, the main character would need mind link with each of his animal companions and a mind control power with limitations like only works on mind linked targets, user is 0DCV and treated as asleep as per the rules when using the mind control,, isn't effective if targets EGO and INT are above 8 so that the automatic targeting over mindlink slides off  normal humans and above. Something like that?

Si, the GRRM\ASOIAF version.

Good question. How would you do that?

I'm thinking he'll likely have 1-3 stable animal buddies that more or less travel with him AND (ideally, see how the points go) also the opportunistic ability to warg to other animals that are present in the area.

Mind Control does seem right and I like the mind control not working Int\Ego above 8, that's nice.

36 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

There is a Possession Power in one of the APG-which I don’t have. But I think the absolutely easiest way to Warge would be to buy multiforms with proper limits-such as only available animals. Also have a Side Effect on this that the Warger leaves Body behind.  I am debating though that maybe instead of multiform, perhaps Varible Power Pool would be better.

Ooh, Side Effects for "leaves body behind", that's an interesting one. I like it!

VPP would seem easier than MF but I should probs reread MF too.

I would say INT >AND< EGO above 8, so that there might be edge cases, like particularly willful horses like INT6, but EGO 14, "No one can tame that stallion, but he's friendly around Ol' John. "   It would also serve in cases like high INT, but low ego humanoids/monsters allowing our Hero to perhaps poach individuals from a hive mind, or people under certain spells or potions?

If you really want that added GRTM effect, give it a limitation that certain monsters or flavors of undead can detect the mindlink and fen determine the direction and range of the faster. XD

I do recall one of the older editions examples of Mind Link being used by the Hero and his Bird companion. So maybe for a follower  that’s bought just Mind Link and the follower is completely loyal and still has leaves body behind SE. Since you’ve paid pointsfor specific followers you shouldn’t need Mind Control.

37 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I do recall one of the older editions examples of Mind Link being used by the Hero and his Bird companion. So maybe for a follower  that’s bought just Mind Link and the follower is completely loyal and still has leaves body behind SE. Since you’ve paid pointsfor specific followers you shouldn’t need Mind Control.

Yah, I was torn on that. Paying to Mind Control the Follower you already paid points for that already does your bidding (for the most part) seems like a heavy tax.

Mind Link to control an animal you already paid points for seems more reasonable, but then it also seems like...wouldn't Mink Link alone work and be cheaper?

1 hour ago, Ninja-Bear said:

23 minutes ago, TranquiloUno said:

Yah, I was torn on that. Paying to Mind Control the Follower you already paid points for that already does your bidding (for the most part) seems like a heavy tax.

Mind Link to control an animal you already paid points for seems more reasonable, but then it also seems like...wouldn't Mink Link alone work and be cheaper?

The problem is compulsion and degree of control. The caster in the GRRM version has total control, in that he could see through the senses of the target, and command it to  his will completely. The targets will and desires are subsumed completely. However, this also makes a compelling argument for Multiform with limitations. In any case the animal companions are their own agents when not controlled, and therefore are their own character sheets.  (No, they are not stretching at range with Clairyoyance)

x

6 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Scott I can see the point that if you pay points for the animals as followers and give them the psy lim: slavishly loyal as a legal build.

In Fantasy games, there is a variety  in the ways GMs handle animals, and I have found, the more experience the GMs have with Real animals, the harder it becomes to keep animals "loyal".   To a point, they will remain loyal, but the closer to an animals "Disads" the more fractious they can become.  In the  ASOI&F books the amount of control was total. THe more this is discussed though and the more thinking back on the books, where there is more detail on how it works, the moreit may be a multiform. I tried to do it on the "cheap" point wise for the power, but to be "accurate", it may be necessary to look at Multiform...

****SPOILERS FOR THE BOOKS:****

There is some supposition that John Snow may have avoided permanent Death by Warging into Ghost, until the Red Lady dragged him back with his resurrection.  In the Books, the longer you stay with the animal, you become the animal, reduction in INT, and EGO, and your body dies of starvation or dehydration, while what's left of your mind lives on as the animal. (and the other animal companions eat the body and run away>)

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:52 PM, Ninja-Bear said:

Didn't see where anyone else had mentioned this, but the power you're referring to is on pages 74-77 of the Advanced Players' Guide (APG1, not APG2).