Using the Champions Creation Card Decks with HD

The Shade

So I got my CCCC decks in the mail today, and I was able to track down what I believe are the required files in the dropbox from the Kickstarter, but I honestly have no idea how to import the card numbers into HD to generate a character. Are there any instructions available on how to do this? I tried starting a new character and loading the files as prefabs, but it doesn't actually add anything to the character, and it also doesn't feel as straightforward as the description with the cards of just uploading numbers into HD. Plus the Characteristic cards don't actually have files in the Prefab format, just the .hdc files. I feel like I'm missing a lot in terms of this integration.

I agree, there really ought to be instructions on how to use the cards and files together.

Here's what I've figured out so far:

• When you open Hero Designer, select File: Open Character .... and then select the folder (wherever you saved it) called Character Templates. They aren't really templates, they're simple pre-saved character files. They could probably be re-saved as templates for future reference. 
  • After you've opened a character, select Prefabs: Load Prefab ... and then select the folder for the complications, and/or the 3 differently priced abilities. Choose whichever prefabs you applied.

This is all I've figured out so far. I'm not experienced with Hero Designer, so there may be more that I'm missing. But this will at least get you started.

First, I tried to import the hdc file directly using HD...  but they didn't show up when the folder they were located in was selected.

2nd step was to go directly to the folder and I selected and tried to open the hdc file with HD, and that's when I got the notice.

Thanks for the quick response.

I just updated Java and finished downloading the Aug 2018 HD file, and preparing to reinstall it.  Maybe that will help.

Thanks again, Simon

1. You don't import files into HD.  You just open them.

2. If you're looking to open a character, the only filter that HD uses is the extension on the file (looking for .hdc files).  That's it.  If the files are not showing up when you browse to the directory that they're in, then they are not .hdc files.  The same is true for all other file types in HD (loading a prefab will look for .hdp files, etc.)

Here's how I created an HD Character using the CCC Cards:

To start the Character build, I chose Open Character and picked the Characteristic Card I wanted to use.  In this case #4 - Dexterous.

To add the other cards, I just chose Load Prefabs and chose the card file I wanted to use, then went to the appropriate tab, clicked on Prefab sub-tab, chose the now-loaded prefab and selected it to add it to the build.

It wasn't exactly intuitive, but it seems to work, and I had a rough build of my desired character in just a few minutes.

I hope this helps everyone who is as confused as I was.

Edited by Takaholic
instruction changes

• 1 month later...

I have read the prefab documentation. So what's happening is that I have a character file for characteristics open (Determined, for example) and I open one of the prefabs. When I go to the tab for what that prefab is (Complications or Powers, whatever it is), the Prefabs tab on the right is grayed out and nothing happens when I click on it. If I'm reading the manual correctly, that Prefabs tab is where I'm supposed to be able to add the prefab to the character file that I have open?

One of two possibilities:

1. You're using File -> Open Prefab... rather than Prefabs -> Load Prefab.  The former opens a prefab file for editing.  The latter loads the prefab for use.

2. You're loading a prefab that doesn't have any abilities/items defined for the tab you're looking at.