replacing the 3d6

dsatow

1 minute ago, dsatow said:

Because, if I use it to help newbies acclimate to the system and I change genres or power levels, changing the system to hit would cause more confusion to the newbie.  If a mechanic is too unbalanced, then gain a significant edge is too cheap in a point based game.  If one CV can cost only 2-3 points (a skill level) or a martial maneuver can give you +2-5 for only 4-5 points, who wouldn't want to escalate this for their character.  +5 to DCV for a dodge, to drop someone's chance to hit to way less than 10%?  I'd be in.

+5 DCV already DOES drop the chance to be hit to less than 10% on average in a neutral match up...to 9.3% in fact.

2 minutes ago, Killer Shrike said:

+5 DCV already DOES drop the chance to be hit to less than 10% on average in a neutral match up...to 9.3% in fact.

LOL, it never seems to work for me.  Thus came about our house gaming quote "Aborting to dodge is useless."

55 minutes ago, dsatow said:

Because, if I use it to help newbies acclimate to the system and I change genres or power levels, changing the system to hit would cause more confusion to the newbie. 

I'd assume that by that point they wouldn't be newbies anymore, though I don't know how fast the players you interact with learn nor how frequently you switch things up in your games. 

56 minutes ago, dsatow said:

If a mechanic is too unbalanced, then gain a significant edge is too cheap in a point based game.  If one CV can cost only 2-3 points (a skill level) or a martial maneuver can give you +2-5 for only 4-5 points, who wouldn't want to escalate this for their character.  +5 to DCV for a dodge, to drop someone's chance to hit to way less than 10%?  I'd be in.

As opposed to +5 DCV doing basically that already?  +5 on a 3d6 is huge. 

If the OP were to switch out the to-hit method for their campaigns, other secondary consequences / implications would be expected.

Keep in mind that I'm not personally interested in switching out the to-hit method for my own games, I was just trying to help the OP work out their mechanical challenge. I'm not advocating for a change. I personally like the existing to-hit model.

However, in the interests of exactitude, in 6e a normal character can't normally have a base OCV of less than 1. Presumably if GM's permission were attained to sell back base OCV to 0 it would be with the understanding that the character cannot make OCV based attacks.

Calculated OCV on the other hand can be reduced to 0 and below 0; negative OCV  turns into +DCV for the defender. Ultimately, in the worst case scenario a "3" will still hit, which is only a .5% chance. 

Having slept on the topic and rethinking what I was last arguing I think I agree with Killer Shrike comment, that ultimately its a challenge mechanic rather than what type of dice are rolled.  I still think NDB doesn't vary enough but the main crux of the thread is whether a dice pool challenge mechanic would work.

At some point, I think I''ll just have to run an experiment and see how the results would turn out.