Grab vs. Gestures and Incantations

Toxxus

14 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Right, its the classic "area of silence shuts off incantations" ruling which never has made sense to me.  The only way that makes sense is if someone must hear the incantations in order for an effect to go off (like a prayer to a lesser god). Otherwise, you're still incanting, its just not audible.

Words of power is pretty common magical theme.  I would personally rule that using incantations in a darkness vs. sound effect would result in the incantations being nullified.

Without sound - there are no words and they have no power.

This might possibly be altered by special effects.  The bard on my Wednesday night group had a darkness vs sound that was defined as deafening applause coming from his magical instrument.  In that case - since the sound is being drowned out - not prevented - I could see letting the spells work.

8 hours ago, archer said:

My sibling's favorite maneuver was a headlock. I don't recall having difficulty speaking when I wanted to. I couldn't speak continuously. But when I wanted to and took a breath first, I could say complete and understandable sentences. And quite loudly when I chose to.

If you're being Choked by someone who is paying to have a Choke maneuver, that's different than a simple grab.

Just to clarify, Choke is a standard maneuver, no need to pay for it (see 6e2, 84). Although there is an equivalent Martial component as well.

- E

FYI, Steve answered the Trigger thread, but left it in GM territory, although provided some good guidelines. I think I would allow either the Skill vs Skill he proposed for damaging attacks or the Change Environment. I can see if either of these became common, casters would adapt by possibly buying skill levels or by buying rPD or DCV to defend against the interruption. 

- E