Limitations on 0 phase actions

eepjr24

Question

If I put a limitation on a 0 phase action, how long does the limitation stay in effect? Put another way, how do I make sure that the limitation is worth the points it saves for a given action?

Example1: I have a multipower that is 80 points and I select Incantations for changing the slots, per 6e1, 405. Per 6e1, 381:

"If he takes damage or is adversely affected by any power that requires an Attack Roll or MCV Attack Roll while he’s Incanting, the power doesn’t turn on or immediately turns off."

Is there a time period someone could interrupt the incantations per that rule, or is it enough that silence fields or removing her ability to speak would stop her from shifting slots?

Example 2: Concentration. Is it sufficient that he will be 1/2 DCV until his next phase or is there a period when someone could interrupt his concentration? I am guessing something like a continuing effect or drowning would also prevent the slot switching.

Example 3: Delayed Phase (-1/4). Slightly different case. Just would like to confirm that putting this on the MP would only cause the player to act at 1/2 dex for the phases when they wanted to switch slots, not every phase?

- E

1 answer to this question

The “duration” of Limitations like Concentration, Gestures, and Incantations depends on a couple of things.

The first, of course, is common sense:  as long as the circumstances that “activate” the Limitation remain in effect, so does the Limitation. For example, as long as a character’s hands are tied, he can’t make Gestures; as long as he’s in a Darkness to Hearing Group field he can’t speak Incantations; and so on. Once the situation changes so that the Limitation no longer applies, the character can then use that power.

The second is the GM’s judgment, based on how he wants his campaign to work, his game balance sense, and other factors. In many cases, such as some circumstances involving Concentration, it’s probably enough for a character to suffer the hindrance/penalty/drawback imposed by the Limitation for a Phase. But in other cases, the GM may prefer a shorter or longer duration. There are so many possible situations in which this issue might come up that I’d rather leave it up to the GM’s sage wisdom than try to establish a series of hard and fast rules.

Re: your third example, you are correct — if the Delayed Phase Limitation is taken only on the reserve, rather than the slots, it only affects the character when he changes the allocation of the Multipower reserve. If it were taken on both the reserve and the slots, then it would apply to any use of the Multipower.