Induce A Berzerk State In Others?

zakueins

Here's a character conception problem that I'm having.

The character I'm creating is a "True Immortal"-and if a Vampire detects them, the Vampire will do ANYTHING to get ahold of them, to drain them of blood. The smell of them, in the words of one particular British vampire-"Is a drug that is nearly impossible to not take." Do I buy this as a very odd, limited, No Consious Control Mind Control or some other means?

The value of the disadvantage would depend on how much it actually impairs the character. Are there a lot of vampires? How much of a threat are they? How much worse of a threat are they when they are berserk? That's a disadvantage for them, so I wouldn't expect you to get points for it. Whether it costs you points depends on some of the factors I mentioned above.

I see no reason it is not a Distinctive Feature...

It is no more point mongering than Distinctive Feature Mutant, and detectable by the same kind of restriced sub-group. simply Vampyres instead of Radical Anti-Mutant Crusaders.

Distinctive Feature: True Immortal

It would apply to mystical detectors other than vamps I'm sure. Sorcerors and the like.

Are there a lot of vampires?

Apparently enough to qualify for consideration :)

How much of a threat are they?

They're vampires... as long as they don't dust when staked instantly, it should (Sorry Buffy fans)

How much worse of a threat are they when they are berserk?

Well, if the immortal is trying to lay low, or blend they sure threaten his secrecy (or even secret ID)

Also, what function do the vampires have in the game? If they're just monsters (like John Carpenter's movie), then all above comments apply - in fact, it's not so much a dsiadvantage as it is a vampire detector. But if stealth or social interaction with any are important, then this is a disadvantage.

My thought is to go with the oddball Mind Control; it doesn't even have to be all that many dice, since drinking blood is something most vampires wouldn't mind doing anyway. Rather than a full Berserk state (which might go so far as to require a full-blown mental Transform or much bigger MC), you could link in a Suppress INT to represent the clouding of their minds by bloodlust. Y'know how hard it is to think straight when you're that close to someone/something you realllllly want...

It would make sense for this to be a DF, as they would also elicit reaction from normal humans as well- fear and jealousy at the very least, most likely at the extreme level.

I can see 2 constructs

1)

the character has a DF and the vampire has a corresponding pysch lim (just built in)

2)

build it as a heavily limited mind control with one command "go berserk" and use the breakout roll as the ability to come out of the frenzied state

I like the DF model because there are other "things" which should easily detect the immortality. Perhaps even a blood test.

I remember Corwyn of Amber telling a doctor something like, "I can take any blood, but mines a real rare type, treat it as AB- if you need to give it to someone else."

I've often wondered if that was the blood type least likely to be saved and used in a transfusion according to Corwyn's education...

The Highlander models for Mage (and White Wolf in general)also lend themselves to the DF approach, since most of the mystical sources can identify there is something decidedly different about Highlanders. Mageblood is liked by vampyres for richness of flavor, but wereblood is powerful, intoxicating and produces addictive desires along with berserker tendencies.

I can't remember if Highlander blood is strange in the movie or TV mythos.

In a HERO universe I would want those markers percievable. Maybe not to an average blood test. But I WOULD wan't educated sorcerors, vampires, and even weretypes to find the blood unusual. Maybe DF: Blood of Power would be a more appropriate descriptor, but True Immortal covers that and a few other things.

I just wonder how much of a disadvantage it is for the character. It's a construct that causes *other* characters to function at a disadvantage, and one they may not possess.

So how, exactly, does having vampires go berserk around you count as a disadvantage *for you*? How often does it occur? (Hence the question about how common vampires actually are.) Would others (besides vampires and the character) understand the significance of the attacks? (In order for this to pose a threat of outing a secret identity, there would need to be a few folks around capable of understanding what they see.)

I'm very carefull what disadvantages I allow, because all too often they amount to free points. The GM has a tendency to forget about them (or, at least, I do), especially if they are low point value (perhaps because they come into play infrequently).

I apply two tests: if I can't envision how the disadvantage is going to cause problems (the standard test) and if I think I'm liable to let it drop through the cracks (an extra test of my own), it gets disallowed.

Originally posted by Balok

Would others (besides vampires and the character) understand the significance of the attacks? (In order for this to pose a threat of outing a secret identity, there would need to be a few folks around capable of understanding what they see.)

I don't think understanding is totally required.

For example, a man walks down the street. Suddenly he is attacked by a nother man, who is baring his fangs and seeking to kill him for no apparent reason. The first man defends himself, possibly using powers beyond mere human...

Yup, that could be a threat to Secret Identity, even if anyone watching doesn't believe or understand vampires.

Admitedly, a lot does depend on what powers might be displayed (Quick healing? Super Strength?) and yeah, if the GM is going to forget it, it does limit it's worth as a disad.

But on the flip side, how big an advantage is it to make vampires beserk against you every time, even if you're laying there unconcious? Should a player be forced to pay points for a power that's actually self destructive? Now, a creative player could use it cunningly, leading vamps in ambushes etc...

Perhaps it should be both a disad AND power.

He's a "True Immortal"-one of the few remaining. Standard four-colors Champions! w/a semi-anime influence (think a mixture of Hellsing and Witch Hunter Robin for the influences), vampires come in one of three kinds-weak and dumb, average and pretty tough, and ancient and powerful.

True Immortal blood is probably THE most potent form of blood in existance fot a vampire-drinking it is akin to doing crystal meth, while drinking a double shot espresso, and gargling Red Bull. To mages, True Immortal material is also useful for a LOT of spells. The bones, for example, are perfect for immortality potions.

Originally posted by Hermit

Hey zakueins, any more details on this character and, more importantly, the vampires in the setting? It does seem to boil down to the details.

Okay, it sounds like Hermit's original take, Distinctive Features, is the right way to go. There are people interested in learning who the character is, and there is a mechanism that threatens his secret. The drawbacks to the vampires, I'd think, are offset by their usefulness as "immortal detectors" by other interested parties.