Ballistic Armor in modern or near future campaigns

JesseBFox

On August 23, 2019 at 5:36 PM, Duke Bushido said:

Fair enough, Sir. ;)

This being the first time I've ever heard of Pheonix Command, I'll have to take your word for it.

Phoenx Command was an early 90s slick, tactical, very well illustrated, near future, combat heavy RPG. looked great. Then you would read the rules. Obsessively detailed with trademarked terms lots of them, broken down into dozens of three letter acronyms. Dave Friedland, who was one of my coworkers at the time when working for R. Talsorian games referred to it as "Spam in A Can", because of the amount of physical impact damage one could take past the fancy powered arm our, when hit by some of the high end infantry weapons. A non armored human would be a red mist and a pair of smoking boots. The system was indecipherable. And Yes Inplayed Aftermath, quite a bit back before I discovered Champions. 

Reminds me that "battle fatigue/PTSD" is not really modeled in Hero System.  I suppose if you wanted to do it, it would be something like 1 pip cumulative per firefight, +1 per point of BODY taken, +1 for suffering a disabling or impairing wound, +1 for seeing a comrade seriously injured, +3 for seeing one killed, combat stress is healed by rest, inactive time, R&R, or even therapy.  That's if you really want "gritty realism" in a game.  Of course, in practice it might be as much "fun" as introducing CTE into a supers campaign..."Let's see, Captain Punchout, you've been stunned and/or knocked out 35 times in the past 5 years...you're starting to have persistent headaches, memory loss, difficulty concentrating and wild mood swings..."

• 2 weeks later...