Costing Naked Adders

mrjamesbond

Hail Heroes!

I have a quick question:

Could someone please explain to me how to cost a naked adder?

More specifically, I am thinking of a magic item that would enhance all of my teleport spells (yes, I have more than one and from more than one source!) p302. The adders: increased mass (x4 mass = 10pts), no relative velocity (10pts), position shift (5pts) and safe aquatic teleport (5pts). Total = 30pts.

I have selected these adders and want to create a magic item that I will carry with me.

I am also assuming that adders ADD? For example: If I already have a mass multiplier (5pts) on one of my teleport spells, another 10 points in this adder would make that mass multiplier for that spell only, x8?

I have created a magic item that applied the delayed effect advantage, and understand how the costing for that works, as per the rules on page 314. I'm just a bit stumped with this adder thingy! :)

Any help would be most appreciated!

Regards,

Re: Costing Naked Adders

Given the phrasing I think this is a "how to" rather than a rules question, so I've moved it to the Discussion board where anyone can offer advice, suggestions, information, or frosty beverages. If an actual rules question arises, you're welcome to bring it back here for dissection. ;)

On first glace I am not certain if buying "Naked Adders" is even allowed. What certainly works, is buying each one as compund power:

One Part is the normal,specific Teleport.

The other part are the Adders with a Focus Limitation.

I wonder just how many Teleport power does your character have?

The most I could think of would be:

Normal Teleport (for Combat), Megascale Teleport (Travel), Triggered Teleport (to use in Dive for Cover).

Hmm. I would presume that, if Steve was happy for it to be discussed as a 'how to' that he is happy with the naked adder concept. Even if the core rules do not allow it, there is nothing that says you cannot try it to see how it works out balance wise for you.

Anyway - Christopher's approach is a decent one, if you are thinking just about effecting the concept for a single character. However, that does not answer how you would, as a GM, build a magic item that provided a bonus to the teleportation effects of any character that happened to own it at the time.

The concept of naked adders would appear to be the most obvious way to manage this. As for costing, I would do it exactly the same way as a naked advantage - you are effectively building points that will add to the value of the character. What you have though is the fact that you want an adder that would normally apply only to a single power to apply to several.

I think that I would charge a x1/2 advantage on your naked adder to make it a generic adder rather than specific to any individual power. Other than that it would be a matter of working out the point cost (30*1.5=45) and then applying the limitations you have decided upon (including I presume a focus limitation of some sort).

That's how I would do it....

Doc

How about a Persistant Aid, with "Can Add Adders"? It would preserve the balance (advantaged powers recive less effect) but might need some expanded effect to hit more than one Teleport at once.

When all the Teleports are in a Teleport Multipower, there should be little wrong with just buying the adders for the Multipower.

You could use Aid.

edit: Christopher posted while I was composing the Power!

Amulet of the Seventh Agent: Aid Teleport 10d6 (standard effect: 30 points), Can Apply Adders (+1) (120 Active Points); Limited Power Only for these specific Adders: increased mass (x4 mass = 10pts), no relative velocity (10pts), position shift (5pts) and safe aquatic teleport (5pts). (-1 1/2), Only to Aid Self (-1), One Use At A Time (-1), 3 Recoverable Charges (-3/4), IIF (-1/4), Limited Special Effect Very Common SFX (Magical Teleportation; -1/4) Real Cost:21

Lucius Alexander

Aid Palindromedary

How about a Persistant Aid, with "Can Add Adders"? It would preserve the balance (advantaged powers recive less effect) but might need some expanded effect to hit more than one Teleport at once.

When all the Teleports are in a Teleport Multipower, there should be little wrong with just buying the adders for the Multipower.

I don't think it needs to hit more than one Teleport at once. The character may have several Teleport spells, but I doubt they would be using them all simultaneously.

Nor do I see a need for it to be Persistant. In fact,

Amulet of the Seventh Agent: Aid Teleport 10d6 (standard effect: 30 points), Can Apply Adders (+1) (120 Active Points); Limited Power Only for these specific Adders: increased mass (x4 mass = 10pts), no relative velocity (10pts), position shift (5pts) and safe aquatic teleport (5pts). (-1 1/2), Only to Aid Self (-1), One Use At A Time (-1), Limited Power Points fade after one Teleport (Each teleport uses one charge; -1), 3 Recoverable Charges (-3/4), IIF (-1/4), Limited Special Effect Very Common SFX (Magical Teleportation; -1/4) Real Cost: 18

Since Teleport is an instant effect, you can let the points fade after each use.

Lucius Alexander

Insert palindromedary tagline

Nice build Lucius!

I have a blind spot as far as adjustment powers go and I need to get around it because they are dashed useful in getting effects like this - specially when you use standard effect...

My one query about this would be whether it requires two actions to teleport using the increased effect? Aid the teleport and then use the teleport??

Would it be better with a trigger, "any time teleport power used"??

Doc

I don't think it needs to hit more than one Teleport at once. The character may have several Teleport spells' date=' but I doubt they would be using them all simultaneously.[/quote']

By default an Aid only affects one Siecifc Power on the Sheet, no matter how many teleports you have.

Doc Democrazy noted the most common ways:

Actively "using" the Artifact (counts as attack action, so you end your phase)

Trigger

Or buy it to affect more than power at once and be persistent (so it won't fade).