Cracking the whip

Syberdwarf2

My wife has recently been working with me on her first character. The campaign is a Dark Champions game set in our hometown and her PC is a Catwoman-style character with a whip, brass knuckles, and a black belt in kickboxing.

Anyhoo, I've just finished helping her write up her PCs Whip.

Lemme know watcha think:

55 Taser-Whip: Multipower (125 point reserve, All OAF (-1), All Limited Range:3" (-1/4))

1u Whiplash: HKA 1d6, Ranged (+1/2), Limited Range: 3" (-1/4), Str Min 8 (-1/2), Str Min Doesn't Add/Subtract To Damage (-1/2), OAF (-1), Reduced Endurance: 0 END (+1/2)

5u Taser: Drain STUN 5d6, Ranged (+1/2), Limted Range: 3" (-1/4), OAF (-1), NND (defense is any resistant ED, or target is insulated) (+1)

1u Tie 'Em Up: Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF, OAF (-1), Limited Range: 3" (-1/4)

any advice/suggestions/commentary would be appreciated.

Thanx.

If this is a game where heros pay for equipment you don't put str minimums on the weapons. It is assumed you can use any gear you can pay for and you don't get a limit for a disad that doesn't apply to you.

If this is just a standard whip that anybody can carry without spending points on it, then carry on.

Originally posted by Jhamin

If this is a game where heros pay for equipment you don't put str minimums on the weapons. It is assumed you can use any gear you can pay for and you don't get a limit for a disad that doesn't apply to you.

If this is just a standard whip that anybody can carry without spending points on it, then carry on.

Good point, although I guess that would depend on the GM. However, in retrospect, I agree. " A Disadvantage that isn't..." and all that.

Also, I was thinking of upping the dice of the Entangle. Perhaps with a limitation placed on the 'whiplash': "not when Entangle is in effect"?

Re: Cracking the whip

Originally posted by Syberdwarf2

55 Taser-Whip: Multipower (125 point reserve, All OAF (-1), All Limited Range:3" (-1/4))

1u Whiplash: HKA 1d6, Ranged (+1/2), Limited Range: 3" (-1/4), Str Min 8 (-1/2), Str Min Doesn't Add/Subtract To Damage (-1/2), OAF (-1), Reduced Endurance: 0 END (+1/2)

5u Taser: Drain STUN 5d6, Ranged (+1/2), Limted Range: 3" (-1/4), OAF (-1), NND (defense is any resistant ED, or target is insulated) (+1)

Couple more comments.

You have a really high point reserve here. None of your powers hit it if you change the writeup of the drain, which brings us to my next point:

Do you really need to buy a drain with NND? The only defense against a drain is power defense and unless Power Defense is really common then NND is not needed. If you just leave it as a ranged drain you drop the active cost quite a bit.

You probably want a "lockout" type limit on the entangle. As written she can entangle someone in her whip and then continue to whip others.

Also, many of these powers are bought "ranged". While this is valid, have you considered buying a limited form of stretching linked to the multipower? That way you save alot of points and you also reflect all the advantages and disadvantages of having a rope between you and the guy you hit.

Re: Cracking the whip

My wife has recently been working with me on her first character. The campaign is a Dark Champions game set in our hometown and her PC is a Catwoman-style character with a whip, brass knuckles, and a black belt in kickboxing.

Anyhoo, I've just finished helping her write up her PCs Whip.

Lemme know watcha think:

any advice/suggestions/commentary would be appreciated.

Thanx.

You might also consider adding just some stretching, so that grabs, trips and slaps can be done through the whip.

Remove the entangle, remove the range based modifiers, lower Active points, add 3" streatching

Remember with streatching you can use your HtH attacks at a range equal to your streatching, you can also use it for grabs

Consider making a MA for the character to use the whip with as well...

Originally posted by JmOz

Remove the entangle, remove the range based modifiers, lower Active points, add 3" streatching

Remember with streatching you can use your HtH attacks at a range equal to your streatching, you can also use it for grabs

Consider making a MA for the character to use the whip with as well...

Exactly my thoughts. Just like "Whip" from Eurostar (4th Ed.)

Here's a neat effect. Use teleport usable on other linked to a teleport on the character to "switch places" with the other guy who has been grabbed by pulling them around with the whip. Hopefully, you will use this tactic just in time for the opponent's "bestest" buddy to do a move through on him/her instead of you.:D

Revised Multipower

First off, thanks to all of you that have responded. Here's my current take (still in progress) on the Taser-whip.

19 Taser-Whip: Multipower [44 Point Reserve, All OAF (-1), All Limited Range 3" (-1/4)]

2u Whiplash: HKA 1d6, Ranged (+1/2), Limited Range 3" (-1/4)

4u Taser: Drain STUN 5d6, Ranged (+1/2), Limited Range 3" (-1/4), OAF (-1), Reduced Endurance: 0 END (+1/2)

1u Tie 'Em Up: Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF, Limited Range 3" (-1/4), OAF (-1)

I've removed the STR min from the 1st slot, since as noted in FREd and from your suggestions; STR Min is an optional rule and really only appropos for Heroic campaigns. I also dropped the NND from the Taser, and REALLY reduced the point cost. I figured that the Defenses for such a thing were pretty common after all, so it got cut.

I'm still struggling with stretching, and I may or may not use it. I've never really liked Stretching. It's just a personal, irrational dislike for something (such as if someone can't stand the color green, for example). However, recognizing this has gotten me to thinking that perhaps I should sit down and learn that power, because of that dislike, nad not in spite of it.

As far as dropping the Entangle, I really think it should stay. This is one of the main things she wanted to do was, as the power title implies, "Tie 'Em Up". Stretching seems like it would be good if you wanted to Grab things, but would that do the trick of immobilizing the target/villain?

As for general comments;

It's not a normal whip, hence the reason for the full 1d6 HKA. It's a much sturdier, tougher whip. This serves both as an effective attack and works well as a PRE attack SFX.

Imagine; You're in the lower east side of town, in an abandoned alley way. In the midst of your attempted robbery, you see; a tall, skin-tight-leather-clad woman staring you down as you exit the building. She cracks a HUGE whip which cuts down a steel streetlight pole. "what're you doin?" she says coldly......heh heh heh. :eek:

more powers

I started working up the PCs other powers;

11 Brass Knuckles: HA +3d6, HTH Attack (-1/2), OIF (-1/2), Reduced Endurance: Half END (-1/4)

These brass knuckles are built into the character's gloves, which are ornamented with spikes.

There's also another multipower. The character has latent mental abilities that manifested after an attack on her DNPC sister. I have yet to finish the writeup, but here's what I have so far;

Multipower: X point reserve

(slot 1): Stray Thoughts: Telepathy 5d6, Receive Only (-1/2), Always On (-1/2)

(slot 2): Fate Seeing: Clairestiensce (Sight Group), Precognition Only (-1), Only Works When Family or Loved Ones Are In Mortal Danger (-1/4)

Re: Revised Multipower

First off, thanks to all of you that have responded. Here's my current take (still in progress) on the Taser-whip.

19 Taser-Whip: Multipower [44 Point Reserve, All OAF (-1), All Limited Range 3" (-1/4)]

2u Whiplash: HKA 1d6, Ranged (+1/2), Limited Range 3" (-1/4)

4u Taser: Drain STUN 5d6, Ranged (+1/2), Limited Range 3" (-1/4), OAF (-1), Reduced Endurance: 0 END (+1/2)

1u Tie 'Em Up: Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF, Limited Range 3" (-1/4), OAF (-1)

I've removed the STR min from the 1st slot, since as noted in FREd and from your suggestions; STR Min is an optional rule and really only appropos for Heroic campaigns. I also dropped the NND from the Taser, and REALLY reduced the point cost. I figured that the Defenses for such a thing were pretty common after all, so it got cut.

I'm still struggling with stretching, and I may or may not use it. I've never really liked Stretching. It's just a personal, irrational dislike for something (such as if someone can't stand the color green, for example). However, recognizing this has gotten me to thinking that perhaps I should sit down and learn that power, because of that dislike, nad not in spite of it.

As far as dropping the Entangle, I really think it should stay. This is one of the main things she wanted to do was, as the power title implies, "Tie 'Em Up". Stretching seems like it would be good if you wanted to Grab things, but would that do the trick of immobilizing the target/villain?

As for general comments;

It's not a normal whip, hence the reason for the full 1d6 HKA. It's a much sturdier, tougher whip. This serves both as an effective attack and works well as a PRE attack SFX.

Imagine; You're in the lower east side of town, in an abandoned alley way. In the midst of your attempted robbery, you see; a tall, skin-tight-leather-clad woman staring you down as you exit the building. She cracks a HUGE whip which cuts down a steel streetlight pole. "what're you doin?" she says coldly......heh heh heh. :eek:

So I says to her, "Just Cattin' Around."

A couple of thing s to consider:

Okay, first why I said drop the entangle, it has to do with using streatching, then you use it as a grab at range (oppose to an entangle) if you relax your grip the whip will not stay taugnt and they get out

I assume it will have a battery for the Drain (End Reserve)

Why not drop the drain, have an EB (Linked to the HKA) with either Penetrating or NND, OR EVEN BETTER, use a No range RKA, it already has the effect of no defence without rED, but you will still do damage if they have some (not all or nothing)

So instead of what you do have have:

11 1d6 HKA (OAF, 0 End)

18 3d6+ 1 RKA (OAF, No range, Linked -1/4)

9 Stretching 3", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); OAF (-1), Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4)

38 Total points

Kickboxing

The final peice of the characters powers/abilities that I'm having trouble with is her martial arts. How would you do this? Her style is kickboxing (professional, not Thai Kickboxing). I have yet to accquire my copy of UMA. Incidentally, just to make things gel with my sense of ethics, I'm NOT asking for 'what does the book say?' or anything like that. That wouldn't be fair to my favorite game company, IMO.

Anyway, I figure I'd take bits from Boxing and Karate (as defined in FREd). But, how would y'all do it? My biggest hangup is that there's a variety of kicking styles in kickboxing. Any or all of which could be defined as Martial Strike. Should the Misses and I just give the PC martial strike, do some handwaving, and call it whatever type of kick she wants to do at the time?

Re: Revised Multipower

Sorry to be a math-nit, but the Taser slot is 100 AP. Kinda hard to fit in a 44 point Multipower.

Re: Re: Revised Multipower

Originally posted by Dynamo

Sorry to be a math-nit, but the Taser slot is 100 AP. Kinda hard to fit in a 44 point Multipower.

OOPS.

You're right. Sorry, too many late nights, I guess. And just where did that 44 point reserve come from? Oh yeah....

Taser slot; 100 active points.(and therefore the most expensive power in the MP)

therefore, 100 points in the reserve, right?

uh-oh, the syberdwarf lost track, and wrote the power down as a 44 point reserve. as a 44 pt-res, it comes to 19 points. but the Real Cost should've been 44 after the MP limitations.

My bad.