'Sleeper Agents'

clsage

I'm toying with working up some agents for one of my NPC villains and, while I know I could just design them under a GM fiat saying 'That's just how they are..." the hard core gamer part of me wonders about how to accomplish the following effect:

Simply put, these agents would be much akin to (in fact they are inspired by) the 'sleeper' type of Cylons we see in the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica. At the basic level, they would have no memory of serving their controller and might even have their mind fabricate 'false memories' to explain missing time, etc. I would presume that they would, in the main, be somewhat immune to being exposed by a hero mind scanning them because they would fully believe that any 'excuse memories' created are real.

So....That is, at its most basic, the effect I want to emulate. Any suggestions on builds?

Thanks.

-Carl-

If I wanted to create a more exact duplicate of the Cylon Sleepers I would look at powers like posession (from APG), Mind Control with the Invisible Modifier, etc. I would also probably have their two "personalities" as two seperate characters each with their own sheets (which looks similar to death tribble's multiform im sure). The "Cylon" form would have the posession or mind control or mental transform powers, the "Cover" form would be built more like a normal person.

Hmmmmm.

BTW I forgot to mention, this build (like all my builds really) is in 5th Edition.....

Back to the subject at hand - Multiform. I kind of like that path. A multiform with potentially mind control. And the 'normal' would have the disad 'no conscious control' effecting the multiform.....Yes. I see possibilities.

Thanks!

If you need some further inspiration you might want to check out the movie Telefon which covers the "brainwashed sleeper with false memories" in greater detail than Galactica did.

I've seen Telefon. Very enjoyable. Though the 'sleepers' in that film were only 'one shot' situations. The NPC's I am considering have more of an 'on/off' situation available (eg: working day to day in cover persona, copy a few sensitive files to a flash drive without realizing or recalling it, then reporting in to their controller and delivering the item (again, with no recollection of the event) and returning to day to day function till they get their next assignment....)

There is also a slight correlation with the sleeper placed by the Psi Corps in the SF television series Babylon 5, Talia Winters. Though again that iteration of the concept (see the notation in this link for details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talia_Winters ) is not precisely what I am shooting for.....