Discussion of Hero System's "Health" on rpg.net

• Please log in to reply
912 replies to this topic

#901 Ninja-Bear

Ninja-Bear

Millennial Master

• 3,632 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:50 PM

One question is what campaign level is it to be set at? CC mentions standard level but that's referring to starring points not DCs, SPD, DEX and such. I can't believe that Blaster rifle in CC is 12D6 😳
The main object of the game is for the players and the GM to have fun. Champions 3rd ed. Pg 130

#902 Cantriped

Cantriped

Heroic Magicat

• 1,263 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:21 PM

Yeah that Blaster Rifle is kinda OP: 12d6 Blast, Autofire (5), +1 OCV, +2 vs. Range, and 64 Charges.

It is a full step beyond what VIPER, PRIMUS, or UNTIL agents are using in the Champions Universe (unless you count Viper's V-12 Cannon, which is a 20d6 crew-served blaster with 30 Charges). Even Doctor Destroyer's agents aren't quite that will equipped (they have 12d6 Blasters with 32 Charges, and an 8d6 Autofire (5) Mode). I blame Power Creep...

#903 Ninja-Bear

Ninja-Bear

Millennial Master

• 3,632 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:57 PM

I was thinking that if this product gets together, I would encourage to use stuff that's listed in CC as much as possible. The pistol is 9D6-high but not too overwhelming so I would suggest in playbook that the pistol be referred to as a regular rifle and the 12D6 a Heavy Assault version.

Also by choosing 9D6, you can start to flesh out benchmarks for the characters and also inform the reader why PD/ED, CON and Resistent Defenses are set where they are at and not in a vacuum.
The main object of the game is for the players and the GM to have fun. Champions 3rd ed. Pg 130

#904 Ninja-Bear

Ninja-Bear

Millennial Master

• 3,632 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:08 PM

Btw is there a list somewhere of villains (& perhaps heroes) that didn't make it into 6th but Hero owns?

#905 IndianaJoe3

IndianaJoe3

Mad Hero System Genius

• 2,720 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:11 PM

One question is what campaign level is it to be set at? CC mentions standard level but that's referring to starring points not DCs, SPD, DEX and such. I can't believe that Blaster rifle in CC is 12D6

There's the table on 6e1 pg 35 but the guidelines are so broad that they're almost useless (SPD 3-8, for example). They would definitely need tightening up.

#906 Cantriped

Cantriped

Heroic Magicat

• 1,263 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:32 PM

One question is what campaign level is it to be set at? CC mentions standard level but that's referring to starring points not DCs, SPD, DEX and such.

In the back, CC gives some vague suggestions in the chapter "Champions - Superhero Roleplaying" (CC 167-190), but those suggestions would have been much more useful if CC had included the Character Ability Guidelines Table (mentioned above, 6e1 35). I use a slightly revised version of that table when I am building characters to make sure I hit the general benchmarks for that level of play (such as a Low-Powered Superhero being expected to dish out 6 to 12 DCs).

#907 Ninja-Bear

Ninja-Bear

Millennial Master

• 3,632 posts

Posted Today, 01:00 AM

I just read in European Enemies editors notes that the day of one page villains is over.

#908 Doc Democracy

Doc Democracy

Freedom Fighter

• 4,506 posts

Posted Today, 01:11 AM

Because European Enemies was the epitome of good writing, huh? :-)

There were some truly awful builds and characters in there...but I think it is right to seek to give villains lots of background to help the GM make them more than a cipher. I think in a villains book, or a source book, then that is right. In what we are talking about then much of the text and fluff just contributes to bloat ware style books.
  • assault likes this

"A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a sh**house wall
But before I die I'll add my regal scrawl
To show the world I'm left with sweet f*** all"
- Shane McGowan, Sea Shanty

#909 Ninja-Bear

Ninja-Bear

Millennial Master

• 3,632 posts

Posted Today, 05:35 AM

Doc let me just say that I know on the boards people complain about European Enemies but I don't get it. (Note that that should be its own topic).

#910 Ninja-Bear

Ninja-Bear

Millennial Master

• 3,632 posts

Posted Today, 07:09 AM

CC has really tight backgrounds for the Heroes and Villains. Just what I'm looking for as an example.

#911 Spence

Spence

Anime...the other genre

• 6,292 posts

Posted Today, 10:32 AM

I just read in European Enemies editors notes that the day of one page villains is over.

Great as an opinion, but I still see plenty of well thought out villains described on one page.

And for me a major "not really thought out and maybe I don't want to buy this" point is the idiotic practice of splitting the stat block across multiple pages when 40 to 50 percent of each page is non-statblock text. I can understand if the statblock completely fills a page, the need to flow to another page. But when the statblock fills only one column and is still finished off on another page, that is pure F-You to you supporters and any GM trying to use it.

just say'en....

To Assume, To make an A$$ out of U and Me.

No I didn't deliberately make a moronic statement designed to start a flame war. I'm just BBS Challenged.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." ~John Wayne

#912 Ninja-Bear

Ninja-Bear

Millennial Master

• 3,632 posts

Posted Today, 10:45 AM

Like I said Spence i found it interesting and people can't blame Steve Long on character write up creep either!

#913 Spence

Spence

Anime...the other genre

• 6,292 posts

Posted Today, 11:05 AM

Like I said Spence i found it interesting and people can't blame Steve Long on character write up creep either!

oh, I fully acknowledge the creep. But I don't necessarily object. My big sticking point is game authors, across the industry, seem to have completely blown off any consideration of how their product is used at the table. Having to continuously flip pages, not on just one PC/NPC, but every single one just to run the session is assinine.

Put the entire character, beast, what have you statblock on one side of a page.

To Assume, To make an A$$ out of U and Me.

No I didn't deliberately make a moronic statement designed to start a flame war. I'm just BBS Challenged.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." ~John Wayne