Trying to build an attack whose damage is delayed until a specific event.

Yamatokage

I am trying to build a power where the character attacks a target normally, but the damage from the attack does not effect the target until a specified event occurs. The power itself is an EGO and PRE Drain that is modified to function as a Mental Attack. The concept is a power for a vigilante who wants to target and attack an unsuspecting evildoer without a direct confrontation. Then, the next time the evildoer falls asleep, he suffers from horrifying nightmares that sap his willpower and courage and weaken his resistance to further mental or presence attacks.

I've looked at Damage Over Time, Delayed Effect, and Trigger, but none of them really match up with the concept. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may work? Or would it be better to get with the GM and work out a homebrew solution? 

Or you can make it a conditional power (limitation).  Not saying I don't think trigger isn't the best call (I think it is), but its another option.

Best bet would be to work it out with your GM, as they are the last arbiter.  But hey, having a handful of ideas from this board on how to do it couldn't hurt.

Seven Nights of Bad Dreams Makes One Weak:  (Total: 95 Active Cost, 16 Real Cost) Drain PRE and EGO 2d6, Expanded Effect (x2 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (+1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Day; +2 1/4) (95 Active Points); Damage Over Time, Target's defenses only apply once, Lock out (cannot be applied multiple times) (7-8 damage increments, damage occurs every 1 Day, -2 1/2), One Use At A Time (-1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Conditional Power Cannot afflict those who have done no major wrong (-1/4) (Real Cost: 16)

Lucius Alexander

Seven palindromedaries makes a crowded tagline

Lucius' build is cheaper and straighter to the point though again a trigger might be even better.  But here is an alternative.  I made it invisible and indirect so the character can use it surreptitiously.  At 20d6 of Mental Illusions, 70 Active can have the illusions do a pretty good drain.  

Mental Illusions 20d6, Invisible Power Effects (Invisible to Mental Group; +1/4), Indirect (Source Point can vary from use to use, path is from Source Point to target; +1/2) (175 Active Points); Mandatory Effect EGO +30 or Greater (Must Always Achieve [Particular Effect]; Must inflich body and stun; -1), Conditional Power Power does not work in Very Common Circumstances (Only when target is asleep do the illusions affect the character; -1) Real Cost 58

17 hours ago, Yamatokage said:

I've looked at Damage Over Time, Delayed Effect, and Trigger, but none of them really match up with the concept.

Can you explain why they don't "really match up?" What is it they don't do that you need done, or that they do that you wish to avoid doing?

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Over Time.

If you want something that more clearly works along the structure of the description you might want a couple of things to happen.

1 - you use clairsentience when you see a victim.  You fix the perception point on the potential victim (so you should buy the mobile perception point).  This is slightly stretching the rules but I would allow it along with a 0 limitation (only to shadow a victim).  It is essentially keeping an eye on the victim.

2 - you have a detect (those with whom I have an eye on that have gone to sleep)

3 - triggered attack - when a watched victim goes to sleep, automatic re-set of power.

There are a number of different ways you can advantage or limit these powers to make them more effective or save you points...

Doc

Thanks to everyone for your responses and great suggestions! You've given my some things to chew on and I think a workable power will emerge.

6 hours ago, Lucius said:

Can you explain why they don't "really match up?" What is it they don't do that you need done, or that they do that you wish to avoid doing?

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Over Time.

It may be a matter of rule semantics or me just overthinking things, but my reasoning was as follows:

Trigger is used to activate a power when a defined circumstance occurs. In my concept the power is activated when the character makes the initial attack, but the target does not suffer any damage from the attack until the defined circumstance occurs. Trigger seemed to be the best fit, however if a strict reading of the rule is applied it doesn't "match up".

Damage Over Time delays the first application of damage from an attack for a specified time period, but I wanted the damage to begin based on an event rather than a time period.

Delayed Effect lets you prepare and store a power for future use while I wanted to delay the effect of damage on a target.

This is actually a compound power instead of a single power.  The best way to build it is to purchase the initial attack however you want.  Link a triggered power to the initial attack and this will do everything you are asking.  If the initial attack can be different attacks each time you simply increase the value of the trigger, and do not link it to another power. 

1 hour ago, Yamatokage said:

Thanks to everyone for your responses and great suggestions! You've given my some things to chew on and I think a workable power will emerge.

It may be a matter of rule semantics or me just overthinking things, but my reasoning was as follows:

Trigger is used to activate a power when a defined circumstance occurs. In my concept the power is activated when the character makes the initial attack, but the target does not suffer any damage from the attack until the defined circumstance occurs. Trigger seemed to be the best fit, however if a strict reading of the rule is applied it doesn't "match up".

Damage Over Time delays the first application of damage from an attack for a specified time period, but I wanted the damage to begin based on an event rather than a time period.

Delayed Effect lets you prepare and store a power for future use while I wanted to delay the effect of damage on a target.

OKaayyy....maybe you can be more clear about just what, exactly, your character is actually doing?

I'm not sure I understand the distinction you are making between "activate a power" that does damage, and "the target suffers damage from the attack."

As for Damage Over Time, I think it would be a pretty anal retentive Game Operations Director who wouldn't let you redefine "per day" as "each time the target sleeps."  But you might want to add a Limitation that it only works if the target DOES sleep - a character who never or seldom sleeps might be immune.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary sleeps one head at a time.