TRYING TO BUILD A VEHICLE FOR MY PLAYERS

rytchb42

Under the section "COOL DIGS AND HOT WHEELS" (pgs. 167-169) the chart for spending points are set up pretty simply IF you your players want to get themselves a base/HQ/etc. HOWEVER, very early in the campaign they have "acquired" a VIPER transport (of course this will lead to them getting a modified UNTIL transport that the group will pay for...) As a good GM I went to the Champions Now book to build it so when the current campaign is over (I am taking them through the original Campaign Book from the early 80's- the really hard part is trying to convert the villains to Champs Now- ugh!, but I digres!), the charts in there are cut and dry for building a base, which they will be doing in about a month or so, but for now I figured the transport would be a nice touch. However, there really isn't much in the book about vehicle building UNLESS i am missing something(?) any help woul be really appreciated. Thanks.

I’m not familiar with the Viper Transport. How big a vehicle are we talking about?  And what may be more important what role do you as GM see for this thing.  
1) Just a way to get from place A to place B? 
2) A mobile headquarters with team logos, flashing lights and a laser turret?

3) Something nondescript you can use for surveillance and tailing of suspects?

If you can point to an example like the Batmobile, the A-Team van, a Quinjet from the Avengers movies, the tour bus from Buckaroo Banzai (World Watch One, I’m such a geek) something to give us an idea what your going for we can give you much better advice.

Well the vehicle will be a modified UNTIL transport actually. So I guess the finished product will be:

something Like World Watch One BUT aerodynamic AND Hydrodynamic! eventually it will be upgraded to fly AND go underwater. so ground movement and then upgraded with air and water movement.

computers, armor,

extra ablative plating (down the road) and the following add-ons later:

stealth, a laser tuerret mounted on the top, missile capability, (maybe not going crazy with the weaponry..definitely beds of some kind for long travelling)

Team Logos on the vehicle definitely.

But for now just te basic how doesone make a standard vehicle is a great start. thanks.

Tjack's point was also, what is its use?  Because a lot of what you're saying there is really fluff, if the intent is only to provide justifcation for them to go from Point A to Point B.  is it anything more than a plot device?  

The rules say you're just paying for the Powers...Flight and Swimming with Expanded Scope, attacks, armor, Awareness.  I'd probably give some things for free...especially the movement, as that's 99% plot device...and consider what I"d require them to pay for.  Self-defense in flight?  I'm not worried about that very much, as that feels like a plot device most of the time.

EDIT:  OP may have mistyped the page numbers, at least in my version;  it's 158-160 in my (original) PDF.  

Your basic flying car, getting the team from one scene to the next might be

5 Vehicle with passengers space for all contributors

12 for 5 hexes flight with the regional advantage

It provides no protection, it's obviously a high tech vehicle, logos and flashing lights are free, and I think it would be able to drive around on the ground like a regular car. The primary advantage would be the ability to transport the team rapidly across a small state or large city. 

On 8/21/2020 at 8:34 PM, rytchb42 said:

Well the vehicle will be a modified UNTIL transport actually. So I guess the finished product will be:

something Like World Watch One BUT aerodynamic AND Hydrodynamic! eventually it will be upgraded to fly AND go underwater. so ground movement and then upgraded with air and water movement.

computers, armor,

extra ablative plating (down the road) and the following add-ons later:

stealth, a laser tuerret mounted on the top, missile capability, (maybe not going crazy with the weaponry..definitely beds of some kind for long travelling)

Team Logos on the vehicle definitely.

But for now just te basic how doesone make a standard vehicle is a great start. thanks.

From your description it sounds a lot like Spy Smasher’s Gyrosub. He was a Fawcett comics character from the 1940’s. You can look him up on the DC Database site. 
    As it stands it seems your going for a Quinjet that can also move underwater. 
Do you have some in game reason for this thing existing? A gift from the team’s benefactor, confiscated from some wacky scientist, or is it an alien craft the team acquires somehow during play? Also if it’s a work in progress some features may not be installed till “next week”.
  The reason I ask is that defining the origin of the item can affect the final cost in points.  If this is something that the players are in the process of discovering how to use, then all the points need not be provided up front.   
  If they don’t know that it can go underwater or into space or has force shields then you don’t have to pay for those abilities right away. 

I know I’m not helping out much with the number crunching but I’ve found that having a precise story driven concept can affect the numbers greatly.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2020 at 10:27 AM, Tjack said:

From your description it sounds a lot like Spy Smasher’s Gyrosub. He was a Fawcett comics character from the 1940’s. You can look him up on the DC Database site. 
    As it stands it seems your going for a Quinjet that can also move underwater. 
Do you have some in game reason for this thing existing? A gift from the team’s benefactor, confiscated from some wacky scientist, or is it an alien craft the team acquires somehow during play? Also if it’s a work in progress some features may not be installed till “next week”.
  The reason I ask is that defining the origin of the item can affect the final cost in points.  If this is something that the players are in the process of discovering how to use, then all the points need not be provided up front.   
  If they don’t know that it can go underwater or into space or has force shields then you don’t have to pay for those abilities right away. 

I know I’m not helping out much with the number crunching but I’ve found that having a precise story driven concept can affect the numbers greatly.

Sorry for the delay. They have been doing missions for UNTIL and this is a way for them to get around together and make sure they stay together. They are just about to get their bare-bones base. So, eventually a vehicle would be nice. Or we can add a teleport grid. But a vehicle would be nice and I would like for it to fly and also be able to go underwater.