Is There A Correction for the Superhero Gallery Templates for Champions 6th ED?

JAVeca

I am currently in the process of setting up Prefab Powers in Hero Designer for powers. Most of the templates haven't been that hard, but one of them the "BRICK" is seriously messed up. Let me show you.

25cp Super-Tough Body: Resistant (+½) for 25 PD/25 ED
28cp Super-Tough Body: Resistant (+½) for 28 PD/28 ED
32cp Super-Tough Body: Resistant (+½) for 32 PD/32 ED

18cp Resilient Body: Hardened (+¼) for 25 PD/25 ED and Resistant (+½)
21cp Resilient Body: Hardened (+¼) for 28 PD/28 ED and Resistant (+½)
24cp Resilient Body: Hardened (+¼) for 32 PD/32 ED and Resistant (+½)

Having gone through Champions 6e, Champions Complete, Hero System 6e, and checked powers modifiers etc. I can't see how any of those are correct, nor have I found a correction for the BRICK archetype.

HELP!

Are they Naked advantages?

Super-tough Body:  Resistant (+1/2) for up to 50 Active Points of PD/ED (25 Active Points) 

So the prices for Super Tough Body match correctly.

Resilient Body:  Hardened (+1/4), Resistant (+1/2) for up to 50 Active Points of PD/ED (37 Active Points)

But adding Hardened should be more than what the book shows.

I would go with whatever numbers come through Hero Designer as it correctly does the math for you...

Nothing is listed about them being naked advantages, they are on page 252 in the Champions 6ed book.

That the Resilient Body, with Hardened with the same PD/ED are less expensive than Super-Tough body, makes even less sense.

To make it work I had to use Custom Adders to reduce the cost. There are similar issues with the other Superhero Galleries, but nothing as glaring as the ones with the Brick Archetype

They are Naked Advantages and displayed/written up as such, though the Resilient Body is done in a confusing manner.

A +1/2 Naked Advantage (Resistant, in this case) applied to a max of 50 points (say, 25PD/25ED) costs 25 points.

A +1/4 Naked Advantage (Hardened, in this case) applied to a max of 75 points (say, 25PD/25ED with +1/2 Resistant applied to them) costs 19 points.  This differs from what is shown by 1 point - likely a rounding error or typo on the part of the writer for that particular example.

I would argue that the second writeup (Resilient Body) is done incorrectly as it should be applied to the base ability (25PD/25ED) and not the Advantaged ability (25PD/25ED with Resistant).  If you purchase both Hardened and Resistant as the same Naked Advantage on 25PD/25ED, the cost will work out to 37 points, which is the 25 points for Resistant and 12 points for Hardened applied to up to 25PD/25ED.

Edit: the other costs for Hardened as a Naked Advantage work out to exactly what is shown if applied to the Advantaged cost of PD/ED with Resistant...but Naked Advantages are applied to the Base Cost of the ability, so I would recommend ignoring the costs listed with Resilient Body and either purchase as a single Naked Advantage or purchase as Hardened applied to the Base Cost (non-Advantaged) of the relevant levels of PD/ED.

Yeah, they made the mistake of applying a 2nd naked advantage based on the active cost of the power with the first naked advantage, which is incorrect.  Naked advantages can be very nice;  for example, tacking Double Knockback on your STR only when you want it.  Or MegaScale on your teleport.  A normal advantage is always engaged;  that clearly might not be desired.  (Megascale teleport is non-combat, ergo takes an extra phase.  Not good for a combat teleport type.) 

But they are a bit tricky.  You have to do a bit of work with em...because the cost of the naked advantage includes the cost of Adders but not other Advantages.  

It's also not necessary to buy things as naked advantages in most cases.  In fact, to Simon's point, I wouldn't be surprised if the writers were rooted in earlier editions where Resistant Protection was not a power.  Force Field was...but cost END.  In 5E, it would be bought through Characteristics for the PD and ED, then a naked advantage for the resistant...but you can slap the hardened there too.  In 6E, just buy it as Resistant Protection, with Hardened as a normal advantage.

25 resistant and hardened is a serious amount of defense, and most of the time is wasting points BTW.