New Exiles Campaign

Vex

My friends have gotten to a point where role-playing to them is fun in small doses, but they don't seem to be able to handle any long story arcs. For instance, in D&D they can remember what they are trying to do for three weeks or so and then they start to get confused and annoyed. So what I have decided to do is start a Champions game based on the Exiles comic book.

For anyone not familiar with the Exiles (or the much more evil incarnation Weapon X), are a rotating group of time displaced superpowered individual who are shifted to an alternate earth every few issues with some vague idea of what they are to do. Some examples of recent missions are:

1. Sent to the time when The Fantastic Four were created and "make sure no one dies" while that Earth's Thing goes on a homicidal rage.

2. Help defeat the Hulk while he is rampaging through Canada.

3. Help the last vestiges of the Earth's population defeat the Phalanx Virus (Warlock type creatures).

4. Kill the Avengers (on this world they were run by Iron Fist and were basically Heroes for Hire).

The characters are often familiar but changed slightly (Thunderbird as a Horseman of Apocalypse), characters that are long dead (Colossus is in Weapon X, Morph and Blink are both dead in "our" world), or a surprisng Amalgam (Nocturne is the daughter of Nightcrawler and the Scarlet Witch).

I would like suggestions on some adventures to create for my friends, thanks!

Guest TheAuthority

Do they read Exiles. If not, just run the plots from those books.

Will the campaign be set in the Champions universe? You can alter the Exiles plots to to fit into the Champions Universe. Instead of the Hulk they have to stop Grond from rampaging through Canada. Aternately have them meet familiar characters with different agendas. Maybe Dr. Destroyer is a good guy and the team has to help him defeat the evil Champions. Or alter history. Maybe they go to the Battle of Detroit to prevent it's destruction. Or even better, they have to help Dr. Destroyer accomplish this task.

But the key is, whatever they are trying to accomplish it's gotta be BIG. It's should have lasting affects on the worlds they visit.

teh trick is to think pof pivitol points in the story lines of teh world and then try and picture how the world could change if that didn't happen or alternativly ensure it does.

a world where batmans family doesn't die a world where superman is a villain after years of a buse in an orphanage a world where babara gorden kills the joker or jason todd lives or where wonder woman never leaves the island a world where poison ivy takes over the world and teh few remaing super heros hunker are fighting a resistance against her co-opted JLA. how about a world where cat woman takes over after batman is crippled by bane.

Check your comic shop for issues of "What If?" the comic predecessor of Exiles. Plenty of ideas there.

1.) World premise- Dr. Doom was successful in stealing the power cosmic from the silver surfer- the exiles have to steal into Doom's Latverian castle, find and use his time machine to go back and prevent it.

1 a.) Doctor Doom wiped out the early FF and now only he stands between the Earth and Galactus.

2.) World premise- At least one time the Fantastic Four has saved Galactus' life- now the Exiles must stop that event from occurring possibly finishing off the big G, the 4 and a herald or two.

3.) Heroes aren't made, the team has to prevent the accidents that creates the Hulk, Spiderman and the fantastic Four, while preserving their lives and and not exposing their own abilities in doing so.

4.) The Sentinels won and the team must take out their master control before they sterilize all the "Potential Mutants" on earth. The Sentinels are, of course, an enemy that is really ready for the Exiles.

5.) Saving Prvt. Rogers- In a world where the Nazis are winning WW2, a breakthrough in America has made it possible to recreate the super soldier serum that made Captain America, but the serum has to be made from Cap's blood plasma. The team has to go on a mission behind enemy lines to find and return Steve Rogers.

6.) Fallout- The fallout from America's gamma bomb explosions is raining down upon the American west creating a huge wave of green mutations or possibly converting everyone into rampaging monsters. Someone has to penetrate into No Man's land and retrieve Doctor Banner, his notes or possibly a uniquely unmutated Rick Jones. Maybe the old gray, intelligent

and evil Hulk is planning on wielding the Hulks as an army.

7.) Recruitment drive- The Exiles and WeaponX arrive at the point of creation, or just before destruction, of a major powerhouse character. Both teams are there to recruit the character for their version of the time broker and or deny the other side the pleasure.

8.) The SunGod's Realm, The SunGod of the Savage land has managed to cast some massive magical spell that has turned all the continents to their Jurassic state and made the savage land the only place where modern technology operates. The team fights dinosaurs the Sun God and cave man versions of earth's heroes until Doctor Strange can complete a counter ritual.

9.) Ultron isn't as stupid as we thought, The team arrives in 70s Marvel New York just prior to Ultron modifying the Original human torch android into the vision. In this world however he is going to create an army of Torches and Visions. The team must convince the first vision robot to aid them against ultron by appealing to his human Torch personna, defeating and reprogramming him or playing matchmaker between him and the Scarlet witch.

Great Ideas so Far!!! Keep them Coming.

Just to update. So far the characters are:

Serah - Son of the Angel and Psylock, flies (no wings, just power display), has a NR AVLD EB (vs. Mental Defense) and a very small AVLD EB with Limited range and Autofire, regeneration and healing.

Juggernaut - Straight forward port over

Speedburst - Son of Quicksilver and Meltdown. Fairly standard speedster with the ability to create explosive balls of energy with a time delay. Demolitions expert and with some Speed Computer Hacking (built as Telepathy and Mind Control on Machine Minds).

Forge - Innate mutant ability to fix and repair machines, has a suite of OIF weapons and some armor, gadget pool.

Magna Modi - Daughter of the Valkerie Storm and Thor, has Asgardian body (stronger and tougher than human), death sense, light weather powers (often Uncontrollable), Lightning Focus (direct EB, Indirect EB, Hammer of manifested Lightning)

Couple of quick questions:

What is the best way to build a power that allows you to heal diseases? I would think Major Transform (from sick person to healthy person).

How would you build the Time Delayed Explosive Balls for Speedburst? I want to make it competetive, but I am worried about making it too powerful. The character wants to be able to demoltion buildings but doesn't mind using multiple bombs. Should I use RKA or regular EB?

How do you build the Valkerie Death Sense? I looked at the books and I couldn't really come up with a good way to do it. Thanks!

Re: Great Ideas so Far!!! Keep them Coming.

Originally posted by Vex

A.) Couple of quick questions:

What is the best way to build a power that allows you to heal diseases? I would think Major Transform (from sick person to healthy person).

B.) How would you build the Time Delayed Explosive Balls for Speedburst? I want to make it competetive, but I am worried about making it too powerful. The character wants to be able to demoltion buildings but doesn't mind using multiple bombs. Should I use RKA or regular EB?

C.) How do you build the Valkerie Death Sense? I looked at the books and I couldn't really come up with a good way to do it. Thanks!

What kind of point totals are you looking at for these characters? This isn't a criticism, just wondering.

A.)-I assume healing doesn't work 'couse they're still infected? Transform sounds good, aybe a dispel vs disease effects.

B-) Under Power advantages there is a time delay add on, sorry I'm not near my Book or I'd look it up, Add to this the "recoverable charges"-(lets them recover by detonating old ones) to simulate the fact that the Chr. can't rig everything on earth to blow and one time.

For attacks against inanimates, a killing attack is more effective, not by all that much though. It's already got an Explosian advatage (+1/2) plus whatever the time delay and charges comes out to, I don't see it as being too powerful.

C-) I'm not sure what the Valkyrie death sense but it sounds like a detect vs impending mortality, discriminatory and ranged all of which are spelled out under enhanced senses, I think.

Points Total

A. It is going to be a standard campaign, 200 Base + up to 150 point Disadvantages. I tried pointing up the Seraph character and it pushes right up to the 350 point total. It is very flexible, but his best attack is a 5d6 AVLD No Range attack or the 3d6 Autofire AVLD but the second goes through endurance fairly fast. The healing is VERY cheap, because in the comic books, Angel has to bleed on the people and the healing effect can take a day or so to work.

B. I hadn't thought of the "Recoverable Charges", I will have to read that tonight. I honestly had thought of that "seed" the earth with bombs thing. Good Catch!!!

C. I read through the enhanced senses, but I kept coming up with the cost for Detect Impending Mortality to about 27 points, which seemed pretty high and thought maybe there was a better way.

Re: Points Total

Originally posted by Vex

A. It is going to be a standard campaign, 200 Base + up to 150 point Disadvantages. I tried pointing up the Seraph character and it pushes right up to the 350 point total. It is very flexible, but his best attack is a 5d6 AVLD No Range attack or the 3d6 Autofire AVLD but the second goes through endurance fairly fast. The healing is VERY cheap, because in the comic books, Angel has to bleed on the people and the healing effect can take a day or so to work.

B. I hadn't thought of the "Recoverable Charges", I will have to read that tonight. I honestly had thought of that "seed" the earth with bombs thing. Good Catch!!!

C. I read through the enhanced senses, but I kept coming up with the cost for Detect Impending Mortality to about 27 points, which seemed pretty high and thought maybe there was a better way.

A.) Seems reasonable, I've run Marvel miniseries of the Avengers and X-men resulting in hugely disparate point totals. It works if you have good roleplayers, sometimes.

B.) Good, always happy to offer advice, particularly after all the advice I've gotten over the past year.

C.) Well there is Clairsentience, Fred pg 93, base 20 points for one sense group at range, Vague and unclear-i.e. only impending death not details that would easily lead to prevention (-1/2), Precognition only (-1), Only to detect impending death of a character (-1/2 ?), No conscious control pg. 196- check it out for what degree of limitation you want. That should drop the price.

I suppose there might be further complications like what happens if there are multiple versions of the same character and only one is going to die or if the ability is affected by Norse magic.