Powers of my priests

Mr. R

Now that I have a list of gods for my campaign (if I ever get around to it) I want to get a list of powers that the gods give their followers.  I don't agree with the AD&D clerics as medics / revivers types.  So what abilities would be possible with the following.  Also if you need to expand the portfolio in a logical manner, please do so!

Gods of Stability
Commerce
Justice
Earth/Agriculture
Skies
Night skies

Gods of Change
Luck/Trickery 
Storms 
War
Fire 
Pestilence 

Aid would be used by all of them to boost whatever skills are appropriate. Or perhaps Transform to give the person a skill he didn't already possess.

For example some skills which would be useful to a devoutee of the God of Commerce:

Bribery

Bureaucratics

Charm

Concealment (for smuggling)

Conversation

KS or PS for various commercial enterprises

Languages

Trading

TF for commercial transport of choice

It could take the form of anything from a short-term blessing right before entering a negotiation to bestowing a Language on someone who is going to be taking a trip to distant lands.

edit: Smuggling might not even be a sin to a follower of the God of Commerce. It could be that their point of view is that government is being evil/sinful in restricting commerce to the point that smuggling becomes necessary.

You could just adapt spell-colleges from Fantasy Hero and call them 'priestly'.  Add or replace the listed limitations with stuff like "Must pray to god 1 hour/day" or "Must make donation/sacrifice to church every week", or Incantations (prayer), or Requires Use of Holy Symbol (Focus), etc.

But it really depends on how you envision gods interacting with people and how powerful magic is in your world, because it could vary widely.  I think that giving all the priests of a certain sect a common set of skills/talents/powers would give the churches some flavor and make them more cohesive.  For the god of commerce, Archer lists some good skills to have.  Fire priests might all have +2 rED only vs. Fire.  Priests of Justice might all have a Detect Lie spell.  Pestilence priests might have Life Support: Immune to Disease, with higher level priests being immune to more than novices.

On 4/17/2021 at 2:46 PM, Ockham's Spoon said:

You could just adapt spell-colleges from Fantasy Hero and call them 'priestly'.  Add or replace the listed limitations with stuff like "Must pray to god 1 hour/day" or "Must make donation/sacrifice to church every week", or Incantations (prayer), or Requires Use of Holy Symbol (Focus), etc.

But it really depends on how you envision gods interacting with people and how powerful magic is in your world, because it could vary widely.  I think that giving all the priests of a certain sect a common set of skills/talents/powers would give the churches some flavor and make them more cohesive.  For the god of commerce, Archer lists some good skills to have.  Fire priests might all have +2 rED only vs. Fire.  Priests of Justice might all have a Detect Lie spell.  Pestilence priests might have Life Support: Immune to Disease, with higher level priests being immune to more than novices.

You might also have Pestilence priests who actively spread diseases like a priestly Typhoid Mary.

How that would work would really depend on the nature of the deity. If it is empowered by sick people, it could be as simple as low level priests having diseases and actively spreading disease as part of initiation and/or their duties to the organization. But if it's empowered by people praying to get rid of the disease and by giving offerings to the God of Pestilence, it might have a completely different power set.

Over on RPGnet I have been fleshing out my pantheon a bit

Feedback welcome

God of Commerce: Also the traveler, the explorer, of keeping your word, oaths (for good or ill). The god of the legal cheat. The collector, the god of wonder and exuberance! Master of language. (any other ideas?)

God of Justice: The balancer, the god of just endings. God of vengeance. the god of honour, (any other ideas?)

Goddess of Earth: Mistress of Agriculture. Lady of Seasons. Birth, death and milestones. Queen of the Forest/Jungle. The herbalist / poisoner. (any other ideas?)

God of the Sky: Lord of the sun. The one who gives warmth. The drought lord. Mountains (any other ideas?), the god of investigators [brought to the light of day]

Goddess of the Night Sky: Lady of the Stars, the navigator, Patroness of sailors, desert travelers. The night predator. romance. (any other ideas?)

So I have been fleshing out the pantheon a bit and want to know what you guys think

God of Commerce: Also the traveler, the explorer, of keeping your word, oaths (for good or ill). The god of the legal cheat. The collector, the god of wonder and exuberance! Master of language. (any other ideas?) thieves? generosity, the potlatch? Alcohol (deal over drinks), Celebrations (buying drinks)

God of Justice: The balancer, the god of just endings. God of vengeance. the god of honour, (any other ideas?) Feuds? Perseverance?

Goddess of Earth: Mistress of Agriculture. Lady of Seasons. Birth, death and milestones. Queen of the Forest/Jungle. The herbalist / poisoner. (any other ideas?)

God of the Sky: Lord of the sun. The one who gives warmth. The drought lord. Mountains (any other ideas?), the god of investigators [brought to the light of day],

Goddess of the Night Sky: Lady of the Stars, the navigator, Patroness of sailors, desert travelers. The night predator. romance. (any other ideas?) Poetry, beauty

The Lady of Luck/Trickery, the queen of chance, the thrill seeker, the one who brings down the mighty,

Lord of Storms, the rain bringer, Thunderer, Destroyer, Renewer

War God. Blood, suffering, tactics, logistics Learning (know your enemy)

Fire Lord Heat, hearth, cooking, freedom, chaos, Forges

Pestilence Purges, sickness, HMMM Really stuck here, Maybe healing? Hospitals?

Further ideas.  New ones in BOLD!

God of Commerce: Also the traveler, the explorer, of keeping your word, oaths (for good or ill). The god of the legal cheat. The collector, the god of wonder and exuberance! Master of language. (any other ideas?) thieves? generosity, the potlatch? Alcohol (deal over drinks), Celebrations (buying drinks)

God of Justice: The balancer, the god of just endings. God of vengeance. the god of honour, (any other ideas?) Feuds? Perseverance? Retribution

God of the Sky: Lord of the sun. The one who gives warmth. The drought lord. Mountains (any other ideas?), the god of investigators [brought to the light of day],

Goddess of the Night Sky: Lady of the Stars, the navigator, Patroness of sailors, desert travelers. The night predator. romance. (any other ideas?) Poetry, beauty

The Lady of Luck/Trickery, the queen of chance, the thrill seeker, the one who brings down the mighty, fortune favours the bold 

Lord of Storms, the rain bringer, Thunderer, Destroyer, Renewer, 

War God. Blood, suffering, tactics, logistics Learning (know your enemy)

Fire Lord Heat, hearth, cooking, freedom, chaos, Forges

Pestilence, Purges, sickness, HMMM Really stuck here, Maybe healing? Hospitals?