Hârn Resources (free)

Ghost who Walks

http://www.lythia.com/

Go to Downloads. (adobe reader needed for most of them). The ones of manors, keeps, and castles will probably be the most useful.

I ran a Harn campaign for several years, using the HERO system for characters. The above site has a number of downloads available that might be usable by the Fantasy Hero gamer. For those not familiar, HârnWorld is dark ages style world with low magic. The maps and research are always first rate.

Note: All this stuff is created by fans, who have some of the highest fan-standards in the industry, IMHO. Since its all fan created, I don't think there should be a problem providing a link to it here.

Yea, Ive been using Harn resources for D&D, Vampire Dark Ages, and now Fantasy Hero ever since some hardcore Harn-people turned me onto the stuff a few years ago. Youre right, the Harn fans are all critics, and know when something is good or bad, and as a result, their sites are always top-notch stuff.

-=Grim=-

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Harn, Columbia Games syas it is still selling its stock of Harn material, but I recall a while back that there was a creative dispute between Harn's original creator and Columbia games that led to him attempting to prevent Colubia from continuing to seel the line.

I'm thinking of getting some updated Harn material. Then again. Columbia has so many great game products in egrnes I like (I also wargame) that I can never decide once I get to their website exactly what i want to buy, so i usually end up buying nohting. Sort of like staring at a shelf full of HERo products and being unable to decide which books to buy, nowing they'll all be good and that if you had the cash on hand you'd buy the entire set.

Speaking of Harn, Columbia Games syas it is still selling its stock of Harn material, but I recall a while back that there was a creative dispute between Harn's original creator and Columbia games that led to him attempting to prevent Colubia from continuing to seel the line.

Yeah, the dispute is still going on, last I heard. It boils down that the distributor (Columbia Games)wants to develop products to broaden the appeal of the system (Including D20 products). N. Robin Crosby (the Creator), strongly disagreed.

So far as the products, I have virtually all of them, so I can tell you whats in them. I have never cared much for their game system (I dislike rolling for random stats), but their world products have always been good.

N. Robin Crossby elected to terminate his agreement with Columbia Games Inc. and stated that all publishing rights and whatnot reverted solely back to him as of the date specified in the contract (1/9/04).

CGI stated NRC didn't have the right to terminate the agreement without first seeking arbitrations and insisted they continue to have the right to produce and sell Harn products.

Both sides have retained legal council and are in the long and drawn out process of an international (Crossby in in Vancouver BC, CGI is here in Renton, WA) legal dispute over the publishing rights - fortuanately both countries are signatories of the same copyright treaty.

As such you can continue to get Harn products from both sources, though NRC is only producing .pdf files at this point in time. He says he'll begin producing paper products again when his revenue base from the .pdf generates the necessary capital.

The only real problem is that they have produced competing versions of Harnmaster (if you use HM, I don't). I think CGI's harnquest products have been excellent to date.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Re: Hârn Resources (free)

Noticed another thread talking about Harn, so I decided to bump this one.

I'll try and keep this thread updated with Harn-style maps, that I find around the net. No matter your game system, GMs need maps.

Couple more downloads available at

http://www.lythia.com/

They have plans for an isolated abbey (Vil Abbey), that anyone should be able to use.

This site can be a little difficult to navigate

http://www.medievalnerd.se/

Near the bottom of his stuff on the left, he has a link to the maps/floorplans he has done, zipped into 5 bundles. All of them are very good.

More maps can be found here.

http://www.snellings.org/perils/

Scroll down to the bottom of his lists, and you can find some historical info on crafts: weaving, poisons, milling, etc. Useful as quick summaries, for when your player decides to quit the thief racket and become a locksmith.

http://www.ttrotsky.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/toc.htm