You're taking heavy fire;

Duke Bushido

the fighters are closing- slowly, but they're closing.  There is no way you are going to outrun them with the driver shorting in and out like it is.  You feel the power surging and dipping, sending ominous reverberations through the steel structure of the ship, as if the ship itself were moaning in pain.

"Where's Fermier?  Get Fermier down here, now!"

"He's manning Cannon Two, Sir."

"Get his ass down to the engine room, Kid!"

"Sir, there's at least nine bogeys out there, and they're closing fast!  We need him on the cannons!"

Kid, what's the point in shooting if we can't outrun them?!"

"We're short two gunners, Sir."

"Son, you get Fermier _out_ of that gun blister and down to Engineering _now_, and get your ass _in_ that blister and start blasting!"

"Captain, I can't shoot a ship's gun!  I don't have a rating--!"

"Congratulations; you've been promoted!"

"Oh, thanks!  Oh, if only my mother had lived to see this..."

"Another twenty-three minutes and you can tell her yourself if you don't get in the blister and relieve our lead engineer!  Besides, someone tells me we're short two gunners, so unless you can win a crooked trial or breathe vacuum, i'd suggest giving it a hard try!

"Fermier!"

"On my way, Skipper!"

"How bad is it?"

"It's mostly in the power lines, Sir.  Lucky shot, looks like- lucky for us, any way.  The components are solid, but I'm going to have to rig a lot of wiring...."

"How long?  The fighters are closing in and that kid's wasting plasma faster than we can cook it."

"I dont know, Skip; not too long, since Engineering counts as a lab for this and I've got good tools.  Still, it looks like a minus 4, at least."

"Well get your best tools out and roll for all your worth, Fermier!   We are all dead men if you don't get it, and _fast_."

"Don't worry, Sir.  I've got the highest mechanical skills on the boat, and I think I have got just the dice for the job....."

Anyway, guess what I made today?

tXT4uJW.jpg

UBTmrf5.jpg

These are the rare and highly questionable +2 Dice of Mechanical Skills.

Stumbled across a small cache of slightly smaller ones (phillips only, I'm afraid) at a flea market today.

Haven't had time to do more than open a pair and toss them a few times, but they actually seem to roll better-- that is, they require less attention to technique in order to roll them.  See, the ones above work best if literally _rolled_ as opposed to simply cast like dice normally are.  Casting those resulted in about one in twenty landing pointy side up and having to be rerolled.

While it would seem to be _more_ likely with the ones I picked up today, the first minute or two of test rolling has shown otherwise.  Odd.

Anyway, I am hoping to do these in pips, simply because I just prefer pips to numerals.  These are old (the shafts have all patina'd just a bit with a haze or surface rust, but I'll deal with that later.

eLoAPRx.jpg