Dragon's Gate for SA:CoH

Battlestaff

I finally got a chance to look over my pre-release review copy of Dragon's Gate for San Angelo: City of Heroes. I have to say that I enjoyed it a lot.

Dragon's Gate covers the Chinatown area of San Angelo in great depth. It gives a pretty detailed history that ties into the overall history of San Angelo nicely. And like San Angelo itself, it covers all aspects of life from the point of view of the average person on the street. You get information on what's going on in the professional, commercial, legal, political, and religious arenas. These also include names of the people who are involved in those areas, so the GM doesn't have to come up with a whole lot of NPC's. There is enough there to allow a GM to present the area to the players with a minimum amount of preparation time. That being said, there's plenty of space for a GM to personalize Chinatown to his own campaign.

Two other areas that are most likely to be of interest to players are the mystic and martial arts world in Chinatown. While there is a good treatment of these areas, these areas are not treated with any kind of real depth. While the book does provide a good introduction to the people who are involved in those circles, and a short bit of information about certain aspects of the world, such as bits concerning acupuncture and alchemy, I would have liked to have seen these areas expanded. There's enough there to provide a GM with a set up for NPC's the characters might meet, and enough information to give them a taste of what's going on, but for anything more substantial, the GM is going to have to do a little work.

A large portion of the book is taken up discussing the various Tongs that are involved in activities in Chinatown. There are three that are presented, including the Tong leaders, lesser minions, associates, and goals. This works great for any campaign, and would be of particular interest to anyone running a street-level campaign.

On the whole, the book looks great, and anyone intersted in the San Angelo setting I encourage to go out and get a copy of the book. It's got the same feel as previous San Angelo settings, including personal quotes, tips for the GM, and areas of interest. It's also got stats for the Action! and M&M systems, so the book can be easily converted for any of those systems. And, if nothing else, the number of ideas and bits that could be adapted by a GM to his personal campaign is enormous, and makes the book well worth the time (and cost).

• 2 years later...

Re: Dragon's Gate for SA:CoH

I ordered if from my FLGS and got it within a few weeks. If its been 3 years then I think you have a viable customer service complaint, if not then I would recommend posting to the GRG site as opposed to the Hero forums as its not likely anyone here can do anything.