STR min changes (5 -> 6)

HeroGM

9 hours ago, HeroGM said:

Has anyone had an issue on 6th Ed really of the (minor) changes with the Str Min? Was looking at the gun table in Dark Champions (5th) and was curious about that.

For the life of me, I don’t remember any changes between 5th and 6th. Could you perhaps post an example? However I knew that there was some build differences between 5th and 4th (Battle axe comes to mind). Basically I used the stat that I liked best.

Thinking about it more this is what I think is the rationale.

Looks at what various STR level gives you (in this case lift).

Consider that most things will require at least a STR 1-3.

Consider that most characters will have at least a STR 1-3.

Not much of a limitation there.

It really depends on what you would consider baseline for the average Character/NPC.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a completely tangential thought: STR minimum is probably not a well balanced Limitation or arguably a limitation at all: most people start with 10 STR, hardly anyone buys it down, so you are getting a cost break for doing nothing and, if you do, you are getting points back but you are less effective in both melee and now ranged combat, in that a weapon will cost you more. It might actually discourage people from buying STR down to fit character concept, which can't be good.

More to the point if you buy Strength up to, say, 15 you are getting the advantage of those 5 points and also buying a bigger discount on a beefier weapon, an extra -1/4, which changes the effective cost of Strength because it is buying more for the points.  By all means we can have a STR minimum based on active points, perhaps, but we shouldn't be discounting weapon cost based on the Strength of the wielder: that's double dipping.