Delayed Effect

HeroGM

Just looking for confirmation on an answer I probably already know.

On Delayed Effect you have the option of casting it beforehand OR just using it as normal regardless.

So even if you "baked" it into a spell system the Mage could cast it regardless of saved slots.

Yes, but note that Delayed Effect is commonly used for Powers with lengthy or elaborate preparations to activate it.

So for example a fireball spell with only Delayed Effect on it could be slotted in and cast immediately as well.  As GM, you may or may not want to allow that build...

Correct @SCUBA Hero. I am slowly helping a friend with porting D&D to Hero (yes I know about KillerShrike's website and we are using it). The idea behind the spell system, to start, is you either get that spell, or you don't. There is no option of 'well, if it's NOT slotted you can cast it from scratch'. It COULD be tossed in.

The way it's going so far is this. We are using the Known World / Mystara as a common ground. The bulk of the nations use the commons type of spell casting. The two big magic ones (Glantri and Alphatia) use it as an 'elementary school level; of casting. As you get outside that known area into other Cultures, Races and such we introduce new ideas into it; both original and from other source books.

[The WHY of it is this. I know Hero, she doesn't. She has known D&D since 3rd Edition and OSR material. I know D&D back to 1982 so it's common ground for us both to start from.]

5 hours ago, HeroGM said:

The idea behind the spell system, to start, is you either get that spell, or you don't. There is no option of 'well, if it's NOT slotted you can cast it from scratch'. It COULD be tossed in.

[The WHY of it is this. I know Hero, she doesn't. She has known D&D since 3rd Edition and OSR material. I know D&D back to 1982 so it's common ground for us both to start from.]

I haven't played D&D for many years now, so this may be out of date... correct as needed for your game...

That may not be a problem, if each spell has Extra Time (x hours, depending on spell level).  So if a first-level spell takes 2 hours to prepare then there's no way to cast it without those 2 hours.  And if you're using Charges in some way, that 2 hour prep can't start until the next day.

4 hours ago, SCUBA Hero said:

I haven't played D&D for many years now, so this may be out of date... correct as needed for your game...

That may not be a problem, if each spell has Extra Time (x hours, depending on spell level).  So if a first-level spell takes 2 hours to prepare then there's no way to cast it without those 2 hours.  And if you're using Charges in some way, that 2 hour prep can't start until the next day.

There's a 1-per-day charge as suggested by @Killer Shrike I need to find my notes and see if he mentions any of this or not