2022-23 Basketball Thread

Pariah

Observations by the hubby...

Sports thoughts:

• We make the joke about how everything comes back to the Lakers... but I've heard or saw the recap of three podcasts that all start with "We'll give credit to the Nuggets, but first let's talk about LA".
  • And as much respect as I have for LeBron, him talking about retirement was a cheap move. This is the first time Denver's made the NBA finals, and he hogs the spotlight onto himself. Let them have this moment.
  • Now the rumors are that LeBron wants the Lakers to get Kyrie Irving. Which... at that point, is it possible to create a karmic black hole? Asking for a friend. Who is me.

4 minutes ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

I hope the Lakers do get Kyrie because it would complete the process of becoming completely unlikable

Wait, didn't that already happen? Like, decades ago? I'm pretty sure they took over the mantle of "NBA's Most Unlikable Team" the moment the Bad Boys Pistons broke up.

Hey, the media fixating on LeBron saying he might retire isn't something you can blame on LeBron.  Blame it on the media, and their hyper-idolization.  

Bringing in Kyrie would be repeating the Westbrook mistake.  Kyrie would make the Lakers worse in many areas...bad ball movement, which was a serious problem at times already.  Their great strength was in half-court defense...there is no D in Kyrie Irving.  Won't help the problem with the Laker transition defense.  

I put Kyrie as #1 on my Most Hated list, but even that pales in comparison to what I feel about any team/GM who signs him to a really big deal.  Kyrie is a team-wrecker.  His teams get massively over-hyped, but since Cleveland, they've consistently under-performed...and frequently, I believe, have overall better metrics when he's out.  So anyone who signs him, then hypes it to the sky?  Is utterly delusional.

And completely aligned with the American sports zeitgeist, I'm sorry to say. 

And he just doesn't care when he gets suspended for them, or when he can't play because he refuses to get vaccinated.  The consequences of his actions go beyond him...but that doesn't matter to him.  His actions have clearly indicated his only concern is himself.  That's why I don't want him anywhere near any team I like, or am associated with.

3 hours ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

That's alright. 

I have enough Lakers hate for all of us :D 

That's cool.  You like the Jags, so we can get back at you if we so desire, easily...............

Well, not as easily as we can Mr. P, but easily enough.........

I'm gonna go out on a bit of a limb.

Celtics play another good game to win tomorrow night.....

....then revert back to form and lay another egg on Saturday in Miami.

It's not a ref scandal in terms of on-court stuff.  Lewis is being investigated to see if he violated a rule about league personnel posting about the league activities, including refereeing, without approval.  There's a social media account where there was considerable posting in support of Lewis and other refs.

I think this is even less significant than some of the NFL gambling suspensions...because they posted allowed, legal bets...from inside NFL facilities.

Bet against the bookies.

Celtics were -7.5 tonight.  

2 minutes left and the game's over...Miami by 19.  Tatum rolled an ankle on the first play of the game, and the Celtics fell apart.  Tried to make a comeback in the 3rd, but that fizzled, and the Heat buried them in the first half of the 4th.  NO ONE on the Celtics stepped up.  Barkley ripped into them at halftime for terrible ball movement and doing nothing but jack up 3's...AGAIN.  9-41 right now, and at this point, it's long past mattering.  

And ok, you could argue that maybe with no ankle turn, it might've been different...but the Celtics blew the first 2 games at home.  The Heat will get the credit they deserve, and the Celtics will get *hosed* by the Talking Heads, as they deserve.

So now we'll have another team in High Drama mode.  Do the Celtics keep Joe Mazzulla?  Remember:  at the start of the season, expectations for the Celtics were low, after the Udoka dismissal so late.  He got them through the season with the 2nd best record...but the playoffs, UGH.  Barkley ripped him last night, for never changing the game plan.  OTOH, it's also easy to rip Tatum and Brown for being AWOL in too many games.  Caught a bit of Greenberg and SAS on Get Up (before switching to the French Open)...Greeny felt Tatum and Brown did nothing to make each other better. 

And Brown's a free agent.  Do you (over) pay him?  Is he worth the supermax, near $60M a year????  I'm biased...not against Brown per se, but against ridiculous contracts like that.  The Celtics in general will have a hard time self-evaluating, tho.  Significant success...but serious issues, too.  In all 3 playoff series. 

This is kind of a big deal in the Colorado sports scene. 

The Broncos have been to the Super Bowl 8 times, winning three of them. (Yes, that means they've lost five Super Bowls—a record they share with the New England Patriots.)

The Avalanche have been to the Stanly Cup finals three times, winning all three (including last year). 

The Rapids have played for the MLS Cup twice, winning once.

The Rockies pulled off one of the most extraordinary runs in MLB history to reach the 2007 World Series, where they were swept by the Red Sox.

But the Nuggets, founded in 1967, have never played in the NBA finals.* This is the first opportunity the Nuggets have had to play for the championship.  (And the fact that they swept the Lakers to get here is icing on the cake.) Nuggets fans have waited for this for a long, long time.