Combat Manager and Hero Designer Melting

RexCelestis

Hello,

I'm having an issue were it appears that windows launched in Combat Manager or Hero Designer melt into each other and I am unable to use them. This isn't happening on every machine, but it is on the desktop where I run games. What are my troubleshooting steps?

Thanks in advance.

Rex

2022-12-01_12-53-39.png

Can you provide the following information for the system that doesn't work and for the system that does work:

• OS & Version
  • Version of Java you are running
  • What other programs are running at the same time
  • CPU
  • RAM on the system that is giving you problems
  • Can you post the Combat Record file here (.xml) so I can try and load it on my system?

I can't help with the Hero Designer problem.  That is a different developer.

My desktop system when running a VTT game:

• Windows 10 PRO 21H2
  • Java 1.8.0_351
  • Tabletop Simulator VTT, Hero Designer, HCM, Browsers, and Zoom
  • Intel i7-4770
  • RAM 32 GB

My laptop:

• Windows 10
  • Java 1.8
  • Hero Designer, HCM, and browsers
  • I don't know off the top of my head
  • RAM 16 GB (might be 32 GB)

Thank you for purchasing HCM.

• 3 weeks later...

The desktop system where the applications "melt."

• OS & Version: Microsoft WIndows 11 Pro 10.0.22621
  • Version of Java you are running: Java 8 Update 351 (64-bit)
  • What other programs are running at the same time: Usually Zoom, Chrome, and Fantasy Grounds Unlimited. But it will happen with only the application running.
  • CPU:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
  • RAM on the system that is giving you problems: 16 GB
  • Can you post the Combat Record file here (.xml) so I can try and load it on my system? Attached

Arena Fight.XML

The laptop system where the applications "melt."

• OS & Version: Microsoft Windows 11 Home 10.0.22621 Build 22621
  • Version of Java you are running: Java 8 Update 351 (build 1.8.0_351-b10)
  • What other programs are running at the same time: Usually Zoom, Chrome, and Fantasy Grounds Unlimited. 
  • CPU:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz, 1498 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
  • RAM on the system that is giving you problems: 12 GB
  • Can you post the Combat Record file here (.xml) so I can try and load it on my system? See above

Thank you for whatever help you can offer!

• 2 weeks later...

Chiming in here just for some clarification:  the screenshot you posted earlier doesn't show HD "melting" into HCM - all windows/dialogs shown are for HCM and look like an issue with the window manager (either at the system level or Java in communication with the system...but either way, largely outside of the application code/control).  Other than the distorted dialogs, what else are you seeing?  Dinging when clicking outside of the dialog?  What happens when you move the top dialog slightly (forcing the window manager to redraw)?

Do you have any examples of HD and HCM displaying the issues you're referring to?  Such a thing _shouldn't_ be possible unless you are launching the apps in a non-standard manner -- Java runs in a "JVM" or Java Virtual Machine, meaning that each instance is pretty well isolated from others.

44 minutes ago, Simon said:

Chiming in here just for some clarification:  the screenshot you posted earlier doesn't show HD "melting" into HCM - all windows/dialogs shown are for HCM and look like an issue with the window manager (either at the system level or Java in communication with the system...but either way, largely outside of the application code/control).  Other than the distorted dialogs, what else are you seeing?  Dinging when clicking outside of the dialog?  What happens when you move the top dialog slightly (forcing the window manager to redraw)?

Do you have any examples of HD and HCM displaying the issues you're referring to?  Such a thing _shouldn't_ be possible unless you are launching the apps in a non-standard manner -- Java runs in a "JVM" or Java Virtual Machine, meaning that each instance is pretty well isolated from others.

Thank you Simon.  I really don't have any ideas.

22 hours ago, Simon said:

Thanks for the response. You are correct. It's not that the applications are melting into each other. It's more that HCM is becoming distorted to the point of unusability.

After suffering from this problems for a few weeks, I was not able to recreate it, this morning. I'm not set for another session for two weeks. I will let you know how it behaves then.

• 1 month later...

I will give it a try. Thanks!

On 2/4/2023 at 2:06 PM, Shigeru said:

Just because I have similar issues with some applications at work...do you have your monitor text at 100% (standard) or do you have any scaling up or down? For giggles you could try setting it to 100% and see if that does anything.

I will give it a try. Thanks!