How Do I...? GURPS "Sealed" Simulation

Black Rose

I'm trying to replicate the idea of the Sealed Advantage from GURPS 4e. Paraphrasing, Sealed means the character (or device) is:

"encased in a layer impermeable to both gases and liquids, making you waterproof and immune to corrosive or toxic substances that have to touch you to affect you."

According to the advantage write-up, you still need to breathe (no LS: Self-Contained Breathing), but whatever means by which you breathe is covered by the Sealed effect. You also get no protection from pressure differences (no LS: Safe In High Pressure, Low Pressure/Vacuum).

Currently, the build I have is Life Support (Immunity To Corrosive Or Toxic Agents That Must Touch Skin; 3 AP), but I think there should be something for the "waterproof" effect. I just don't know how to realistically replicate it. I tried the Equipment Guide, but either there's nothing there or I'm missing it.

Any thoughts?

Self-contained breathing takes care of the gasses.   Impermeable will cover most of the other but may not be total.   It works fine vs low grade threats that have to contact your skin but will not work vs everything.  For example, if it may not protect vs an acid attack strong enough to eat through things.   

1 minute ago, LoneWolf said:

Self-contained breathing takes care of the gasses.   Impermeable will cover most of the other but may not be total.   It works fine vs low grade threats that have to contact your skin but will not work vs everything.  For example, if it may not protect vs an acid attack strong enough to eat through things.   

True but shouldn't that still be an issue no matter what?  

Self-containted breathing, on its own, means you don't need oxygen from an external source.  It typically covers protection from gases that must be inhaled in order to be effective, such as carbon monoxide;  it doesn't imply protection from a corrosive gas that does nasty things without being inhaled.  Mustard gas, nitric acid fumes, chlorine/fluorine gases, nerve gases that can be absorbed through the skin.....

The combination of self-contained breathing and impermeable works for what the OP wanted, but there are still some things it would not work on.  For Example, the blood of the Aliens in the movies eats through the deck of the ship.  Impermeable is not going to work that well vs something that can destroy the armor itself.  VS things like NND’s drains and most of the oddball attacks it should work, but depending on special effect some things will not be stopped.  

Options here, depending on what fits:

--the ship's decking can use the Object or Wall rules, or an adaptation thereof.

--if this is a full isolation suit, then it probably is a focus.  There's 4 separate levels:  Fragile, standard, Durable, and Unbreakable.  See 6E1 378-9 to see which might apply.  

--in materials science, corrosives are not equal.  Materials respond to them differently.  Classically, gold is an example.  Nitric?  Does nothing.  Hydrochloric?  Does nothing.  Put em together?  Aqua Regia.  Uh-oh....  Mercury is used in gold mining in some places still;  the mercury bonds with the gold, making an amalgam that sinks to the bottom.  But, the mercury is reacting with the gold.  

https://sciencing.com/how-mercury-used-purify-gold-4914156.html

But the mercury won't touch lots of softer stuff like plastic.  Glass is another example...chemicals that react with the silicon will corrode glass, but even aqua regia doesn't touch it.

Almost no real-world material is NOT susceptible to *something*, AFAIK.  So, depending on what the basic construction is, there can be a core definition...focus that's got standard defense, say...but also a Vulnerability.  I probably wouldn't say it's worth any points, unless it's reasonably well known, common, or broad.  Pretty much, I'd treat it as a plot device.  

Corrosion and solubility are also rather complex subjects, and as such, aren't well covered in the rules.  That makes em fair game for one-off rulings.

• 2 weeks later...