Aborting and DCV Penalties

MrAgdesh

Something that I only just noticed in the APG2 is an extension of 6E2's info on Aborting an Action (pg; 21).

Namely; "If a character’s suffering a DCV penalty based on a previous action and he Aborts to a defensive action, whether doing so removes the DCV penalty is up to the GM." APG2 pg 56.

The example given is a half-move NCM then reserving a half phase to abort to a dodge to reset your DCV to full, +3.

But this applies to something like a Haymaker too, right? In other words if I’m Speed 3 and I drop a Haymaker on an opponent on phase 4, it of course lands at the end of everyone’s actions on phase 5. If I sense an overwhelming attack is incoming to me at anytime before my Haymaker lands at the end of Phase 5, I can abort my phase 8 (let’s say to a Martial Dodge; +5 DCV). It’s GM  discretion whether the -5 from my Haymaker goes away. If not I’ve aborted my action in this instance to be at straight DCV - and I will be at that until my next action on phase 12?

I'd say, that's a good example of why it's at the GM's discretion.  It feels highly situational.  I personally would NOT do it with Haymaker, and probably not with a martial maneuver that has a large +DC component, along with -DCV.  (+v/6 would also count, IMO.)  I'm thinking 3 components that would influence me to say no:

--extra phase...if it takes you that long to execute, I don't think you should get a full recovery (void the DCV penalty) that quickly

--high damage bonus, for game balance considerations.

--1/2 DCV or 0 DCV.  Those are rare, generally fairly radical/extreme penalties.    

Haymaker gets both, so I very much doubt I'd allow it.

On 3/30/2023 at 10:00 AM, MrAgdesh said:

Something that I only just noticed in the APG2 is an extension of 6E2's info on Aborting an Action (pg; 21).

Namely; "If a character’s suffering a DCV penalty based on a previous action and he Aborts to a defensive action, whether doing so removes the DCV penalty is up to the GM." APG2 pg 56.

The example given is a half-move NCM then reserving a half phase to abort to a dodge to reset your DCV to full, +3.

But this applies to something like a Haymaker too, right? In other words if I’m Speed 3 and I drop a Haymaker on an opponent on phase 4, it of course lands at the end of everyone’s actions on phase 5. If I sense an overwhelming attack is incoming to me at anytime before my Haymaker lands at the end of Phase 5, I can abort my phase 8 (let’s say to a Martial Dodge; +5 DCV). It’s GM  discretion whether the -5 from my Haymaker goes away. If not I’ve aborted my action in this instance to be at straight DCV - and I will be at that until my next action on phase 12?

I believe you cannot abort once you commit to a Haymaker.

Incorrect somewhat.  6E2, 68-69:

The character may Abort to a defensive Action in the Segment in which the Haymaker goes off, but doing so ruins the Haymaker.

I'm also thinking, tho, of other timing considerations:

Brick has SPD 4.  

Phase 3:  start haymaker

4:  complete haymaker.

5:  Blast attacks with his SPD 5.  It is a new segment, so Brick can abort.  It is not a new phase for Brick, tho, so the Haymaker DCV penalty is still in place.