How to Build a Hypersleep Chamber as that on Prometheus/Alien Franchise?

Jujitsuguy

7 hours ago, Jujitsuguy said:

You do have a point on the "how" to stasis....I can just indicate it is voluntary and they program the unit.  I will also put in emergency triggers for the ship to do a wake-up in emergency scenarios, like a trigger.  LS will keep the body from starving, getting old, etc.  Also, there is another trigger...if the unit gets near it's battery limit, it automagically brings the person out of stasis after in my case 10 years, as my genre is earlier than the Prometheus franchise by roughly 15 years, circa 2075.
The Hypersleep chambers are voluntary and are used if the trip is over 3months...also, in my genre, as the technology is relatively new, after each month, the passenger(s) MUST be awake for a week before going into Hypersleep again.  I put this in my game for a reason...

All:

This is NOT a weapon or prison...it is a voluntary chamber for long-term interstellar travel to save on resources--air, food, water--as well as the crew's sanity...long-term trips tend to drive people batty if they are limited in a ship.

Hope this makes sense...

Yep.  There's nothing new there, it's all as expected...except the 3 month cycle time, as generally going into and coming out are the risky periods.

The one thing you may need is the time from the start of the wake cycle, until the person is fully functional again.  Not necessarily just awake...some writers have had the coldsleep leave a 'hangover' of sorts.  Warming the body can't be done in just a few moments.  

• 2 weeks later...

If the players are buying it, LS for the stasis and Mind Link for the ability of the operator to enter the sleeper's dreams, with the appropriate limitations.

If it's a thing installed on a vehicle that the GM didn't have the players pay for, simply handwave the build and narritively describe how it works. It's good to keep in mind that not everything that you can build with points has to be built out. The points balancing is more to keep the player characters relatively in line with each other. I typically just give the players their bases and vehicles for free, so they don't have to carve out the points from their character sheets.

It sounds like the second case is true, since it's a SF game and most genres outside of supers suggest that players don't pay points for equipment. So, handwave is the best build option, IMO.

You may now burn me at the stake for my heresy. 🔥