Only Works In Water?

Syberdwarf2

I'm working on a character that has powers which he can only use while standing in water. This could be a full-blown lake, river, stream or the like. I figure this could also be a small puddle, or a rainstorm. Heck, throw a bucket of water on him... and stand back.

Anyway, while building his powers, I saw the "Only Works In Water" limitation under the catch-all "Limited Power" at a value of -1 1/2.

Would you take it as is, or lower the modifier to -1? Where I seem to be having the confusion is one of his powers is AoE:Radius, which is spherical. Therefore half of it's above water.

Should I change it to "Only When PC Is In Water; -1" ?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

How much water will he be around during the course of the campaign? Is this campaign in the Sahara Desert, Micronesia, or somewhere in between? Does the character carry a drum of water with him everywhere?

I agree that the PC only having to be in water and being able to attack those outside it would only be worth 1/3 or 1/2 the limitation.

Think how ridiculously easy it is to get water in our modern world. All you have to do is smash a fire hydrant, bust a water main, set off a sprinkler system, etc. and *bam* you have water. Heck he could carry a squeeze bottle for emergencies.

I think that I've see write-ups with needs water as -1/2 though really it varies by the how much water is needed, the game & the GM.

Vanderbilt_Grad is right in terms of actual modern play, I'd discuss it with the GM and indicate just how often you intend to create your own water, by hook or by crook. Just ensure you and the GM are on the same page. I could see it as -1/2 or -1, depending on the frequency you intend.

If he could use his powers merely with someone throwing a bucket of water on him, I would not give it more than -1/4. No way it would be more than -1/2.

Heck, 'only during day' is only a -1/2.

The only in water -1 1/2 I believe is for "only fully immersed in water"