40K Hero

tiger

Working on a campaign using the Warhammer 40K Universe.

Right now the characters are a squad of Imperial Guard Catachans. Their assigned to Black Company of the Catachan 128th. 129th gets the worst assignments and Black Company gets the worst of them.

Still working on getting everything fleshed out as we go. Have had to rework the weapons a couple times. Trying to get the "feel" of 40K, but payable at the same time.

An ongoing process to say the least, but we having a good time.

Are you sure you want to go this route? The 40k universe has more than just constant fighting. If you place the players in a military unit then your options are pretty limited as far as the adventures you can put them through.

I would highly recommend the Necromunda setting instead. That way you can run pretty much the full bang of adventure types while remaining in genre. More of a flexibility thing as far as player options go.

Actually the idea from the start was a squad based campaign. It's grown into other ideas as well.

Squad based, Rogue trader style, Necrumunda. The idea of a Star Hero campaign in the 40K universe has also been mentioned. Basically have adventurers in that setting

So far it's working pretty well. Still getting the bugs worked out of the weapon stats and start working on vehicles.

40K game

You might want to take a look at the inquisitor game.

It's got a lot good info to steer you in the right direction.

It's got template for space marines, imperial guardsmen, inquisitors and a number of other playable characters. Not to mention laods of story ideas.

Let us know how your game progresses.

tyrant

I got asked by some of my players to run a game set in the 40K universe a while back - just a one-off, root-out-the-evil-cult-and-punish-the-impious

deal.

I converted all the weapons and armour and a variety of nifty widgets from the Inquisitor books, but kept to the 40K rules as closely as possible.

If there is interest, I can whip up a couple of quickie illustrations and turn the word documents into webpages.

But be warned - adhering to the 40K rules means that some of the weapons are ridiculously lethal :-)

cheers, Mark

Guest Champsguy

Here are the writeups I did for some 40K weapons. They're supposed to be somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd edition versions of the weapons.

42 PKG,"Lascannon",OAF(-1 1/2),bulky

(35) 4D6+1 RKA,9-12 Charges(-1/4),x1 Armor Piercing(+1/2) 0

(2) 1 Levels,related group

(5) 4 Rng Levels,all ranged attacks

25 MP (81),"Missile Launcher",OAF(-1 1/2),bulky,1 Charges (-3/4),16 Clips

1u 2 Rng Levels,all ranged attacks

2u 5D6 RKA,"Krak Missile",vs physical defense 0

2u 3D6+1 RKA,"Frag Missile",vs physical defense,Explosion(+1/2) 0

42 PKG,"Plasma Cannon",OAF(-1 1/2),bulky,9-12 Charges(0),2 Clips,15- Activation(-1/4),Side Effects(-1/2)

(42) 4D6-1 RKA,vs physical defense,use D6-1,x1 Armor Piercing (+1/2),Area Effect(+1),radius 0

54 PKG,"Assault Cannon",OAF(-1 1/2),bulky

(42) 3D6 RKA,vs physical defense,15- Activation(-3/4),jammed,x1 Armor Piercing(+1/2),x10 Autofire(+3/4),65-125 Charges(+3/4) 0

(12) 10 Levels,related group,only to negate autofire penalties (-1),staggered levels(-1/2)

30 2 1/2D6 RKA,"Storm Bolter",vs physical defense,OAF(-1),17-32 Charges(+1/4),Autofire x3(+1/4) 0

18 1 1/2D6 HKA,"Power sword",vs physical defense,OAF(-1),x1 Armor Piercing(+1/2) 4

27 3D6 HKA,"Power Fist",vs physical defense,OAF(-1 1/2),bulky, x1 Armor Piercing(+1/2) 7

36 3D6 HKA,"Thunder Hammer",vs physical defense,OAF(-1 1/2), bulky,x1 Armor Piercing(+1/2),+1 Increased Stun Mult(+1/2) 9

33 PKG,"Lightning Claws",OAF(-1),x1 Armor Piercing(+1/2) 7

(18) 1 1/2D6 HKA,vs physical defense 4

(15) 1 1/2D6 HKA,vs physical defense,Linked(-1/2) 4

37 PKG,"Force Weapon",OAF(-1),x1 Armor Piercing(+1/2) 10

(18) 1 1/2D6 HKA,vs physical defense 4

(19) 3D6 HKA,vs physical defense,only if first attack does Body (-1/2),must pass Ego roll(-1/2),not vs vehicles(-1/2) 7

20 2 1/2D6 RKA,"Bolter",vs physical defense,OAF(-1),13-16 Charges(0) 0

27 3D6+1 RKA,"Plasma Gun",vs physical defense,15- Activation (-1/4),13-16 Charges(0),OAF(-1),Side Effects(-1/2),x1 Armor Piercing(+1/2) 0

34 3D6 RKA,"Flamer",No Range(-1/2),OAF(-1),Area Effect(+1 1/4), cone,x2 Increased Area,7-8 Charges(-1/2) 0

Here's the "old" stats. I'm in the r=process of changing a few things so they will change. We were working on the concept of autokills in 40K being NNDs. This turned out to be quite overpowering in play so I'm re working again

Imperial Equipment

HTH Weapon OCV RMod Damage 2Mod TYPE Special

Knife 0 0 1D6 + STR

Bayonet 0/+1 0 1D6 + STR &

Chain Sword 1 0 2D6 + STR

Power Sword 1 0 1 1/2D6 AP E + STR ANND Force Field

Power Fist - 1 0 2 1/2D6 AP E + STR

Pistols

Las Pistol 0 0 2D6 E 4 Clips 12 Shots

HotShot Las Pistol +1 0 2D6 E 4 Clips 12 Shots

Bolt Pistol +1 0 21/2D6 P 4 Clips 16 Shots

Plasma Pistol Mark I +1 0 3 1/2D6 +1 E 2 Clips 8 Shots # ##

Plasma Pistol Mark II +1 0 3 1/2D6 +1 E 2 Clips 8 Shots $ ##

Rifles

Las Rifle +1 +1 2D6 E 4 Clips of 32 Shots

HotShot Las Rifle +2 +1 2D6 E 4 Clips of 32 Shots

Bolter +2 +1 21/2D6 +1 P 4 Clips of 32 Shots

Special Weapon

Flamer 0 0 2D6 E Cone Area Effect ½ Size @

Grenade Launcher +1 +1 Varies

Krak Missle - - 3D6 E Area Effect Hex

Frak Missle - - 2D6 P Area Effect – 3â€

Melta-gun +1 +0 3D6 +1 +1 E 4 Clips of 16 Shots @@

Plasma Gun Mark 1 +2 +1 3/12D6 +1 E 4 Clips of 16 Shots # ##

Plasma Gun Mark 2 +2 +1 3/12D6 +1 E 4 Clips of 16 Shots $ ##

Shotgun-Slug -1 0 2D6 +1 P 4 Clips of 12, Double Knockback

Shotgun-Shot -1 -1 2D6 P 4 Clips of 12 Shots !

Heavy Weapon

Auto-Cannon +2 +2 3D6 +1 P 4 Clips Of 16 Shots %

Heavy Flamer +0 +0 21/6D6 E Cone Are Effect @

Heavy Bolter +2 +1 21/2D6AP +1 P ^

Heavy Bolter – Inferno +2 +1 21/2D6AP +1 P * ##

Las Cannon +2 +2 4D6 AP +2 E 4 Clips of 12 shots

Missle Launcher +1 +2 VARIES

Krak Missle - +1 4D6 E

Frak Missle - - 21/2D6 P Area Effect ½ Size

Multi-Melta +1 +0 3D6+1 +1 E Area Effect - 2 HEX @@

Plasma Cannon +2 +2 3D6 +1 E Area Effect - 1 HEX $ ##

Vehicle Weapons

Battle Cannon

Multi-Laser

& Adds +1 in HTH attatched to rifle

# Autofire 3 shot, Jam on 8-less

$8-less Burnout roll when gunner misses, roll to hit then overheat roll.

@32 Continuing Charges Last for 1 extra Phase

! Cone Area Effect, ½ size

% Autofire 3 Shot Max

^ Autofire 5 Shots Max

*6 Continuing Charges last 1 Extra Phase

**4 Clips 12 Shots

## ANND Defense is Force Field, +1d6 Vs Vehicles or Emplacements

@@ ANND Deense Force Fields, AP vs Vehciles or Emplacements with in 16â€

Damage is along these lines

40K Str Hero Damage Hero Damage Class

3 2d6 6

4 2d6+1 7

5 212/d6 8

6 3d6 9

7 3d6+1 10

8 31/2d6 NND 11

9 4d6 NND 12

10 4d6+1 NND 13

Basically each step up in Str = 1 step up in Damage Class

Re: Now, the 40KCr question...

Originally posted by Peregrine

What are the stats for a Space Marine?

(Note: I read the Patriarchs as being comparable to Hero supers.)

Haven't worked them up yet. Players are IG. Haven't met Choas marines either. So far Necrons, killed all but 2 party memebers, Cultists and Tyranids.

Play on working up stats for all races as we go. Might start a second group of characters as a marine squad. Only time will tell.

OK.

It's up.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/markdoc/Inquisitor/inquistor_index.htm

have fun.

As for Space Marines, they are described as being "the ultimate" in human development, but in practice, are only a little tougher than Imperial Guard, who are after all, just the scum of the galaxy. I initially gave them 20 in all their physical stat.s but that's just an insane amount of points, for a "heroic" level game, so toned the "starting" space marine down to 15's across the board (that doesn't sound like much but it means they are twice as fast, twice as tough, etc as a normal adult in prime condition. Add in the acid spit, black carapace, reinforced skeleton, nifty sense, etc, and they can kick butt even without all their cool gear.

I have the stat.s, so can post them if there is any interest.

cheers, Mark

this is good

i've been working on an Epic Chaos (invasion) campaign for a four color champions universe and well the four main demons are pretty tough. I've just written up power frame works and still have trouble working out things like "nurgul's rot" (which i consider a major cumulative transform) or the very insidous soul tainting aspects whenever a mrtal comes into contact with one of these creatures. I'll try to put point values on all this and post it because I love this universe too.

BTW would you consider Eldar as actively faster (6 to 8 spd high dex) than normal humains or is that just me? :confused:

Hey

I just glanced and the stats, haven't had a chance to do more.

2 things

1) The Tyranid weapons would vary creature to creature. A venom cannon on a tyrant would be strong than on a warrior.

Also

2)Would it be possible to get a copy of the data for offline viewing?

It be easier to look over than online at work:)

Originally posted by Markdoc

OK.

It's up.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/markdoc/Inquisitor/inquistor_index.htm

have fun.

As for Space Marines, they are described as being "the ultimate" in human development, but in practice, are only a little tougher than Imperial Guard, who are after all, just the scum of the galaxy. I initially gave them 20 in all their physical stat.s but that's just an insane amount of points, for a "heroic" level game, so toned the "starting" space marine down to 15's across the board (that doesn't sound like much but it means they are twice as fast, twice as tough, etc as a normal adult in prime condition. Add in the acid spit, black carapace, reinforced skeleton, nifty sense, etc, and they can kick butt even without all their cool gear.

I have the stat.s, so can post them if there is any interest.

cheers, Mark

Beautifully done. I can't wait to peruse this at length... I, too, would love an offline version...

++The Emperor is our Shield and our Shining Light in Dark Places++

I know of at least one thing that will be different for my campaign than the one you have worked up.

I'm actually working on converting 2nd edition 40K to Hero. I play 3rd with some friends but we started in 2nd and prefer it over 3rd. So this is the style off campaign were running.

I do like the work you've done, it looks nice and seems quite playable. This is why I would like a copy, I think it would help my conversion to or 2nd.

Originally posted by tiger

I know of at least one thing that will be different for my campaign than the one you have worked up.

I'm actually working on converting 2nd edition 40K to Hero. I play 3rd with some friends but we started in 2nd and prefer it over 3rd. So this is the style off campaign were running.

I do like the work you've done, it looks nice and seems quite playable. This is why I would like a copy, I think it would help my conversion to or 2nd.

Do you anticipate that the 2nd Edition Conversion (I agree with your assessment btw) will result in higher Character Points costs across the board? Or Just equipment?

WEll

It's a slow progression. We're playtesting as we go so it will be a bit. OF course after I get the Imperial weapons working well, the rest will fall in rather easily.

I plan on doing Dark Eldar and Tao as well sooner or later. I'll just base them on existing 2nd weapons that are close and go from their. The Dark eldar will be easy, most are close to Eldar weapons. The Tao will be little trickier, but it shouldn't be to hard. After that I plan on slowly working up each races squads and vehicles.

While I'm mainly doing IG squads at the moment I plan on others as an option. I'll be doing guidelines for Space Marine squads as well.

Just have to see how things go.

Originally posted by tiger

WEll

It's a slow progression. We're playtesting as we go so it will be a bit. OF course after I get the Imperial weapons working well, the rest will fall in rather easily.

I plan on doing Dark Eldar and Tao as well sooner or later. I'll just base them on existing 2nd weapons that are close and go from their. The Dark eldar will be easy, most are close to Eldar weapons. The Tao will be little trickier, but it shouldn't be to hard. After that I plan on slowly working up each races squads and vehicles.

While I'm mainly doing IG squads at the moment I plan on others as an option. I'll be doing guidelines for Space Marine squads as well.

Just have to see how things go.

We appreciate your efforts... especially in the Area of Space Marines:D

++I am the Emperor's will made flesh++

Guest Champsguy
Originally posted by Markdoc

I had the same problem when doing conversions. In the end, I decided it was more "superheroic" to give them 20s. Though I realized that if I wanted to make them closer to how they worked in the game, they'd have something like 13 to 15s. It's all a matter of preference.

Well I figure that marines would start with a base of 15. If for no other reason than giving others a change :)

I have gone with a approach of trying to keep stats and weapons a "ungross" as possible.Of course when I get deep into the true write-ups it may be another matter entirely.

I have the weapons damage down(I think), just have to balance it against the armor and the vehicles in the game.

I have worked up most of the weapons fro 2nd with good armor pen., Las Cannon, Assualt ect., with damage against vehicles. This allowed them to be able to take out vehicles but still give people a chance.

It's worked well so far. The playtesting group are converts from AD&D. So the fact that you tend to get KO'd is a bit new to them.

Over the next few months I plan on getting all the races weapons worked up and stats for most of the different troops and such.

I'm gonna work up Tao and Dark Eldar for it. Plan on baseing their weapons off 2nd equilavants. On down the road I also plan on doing the weapons and armor or 3rd. So a person could do a update campaign if they want. The weapons have changed so they would have different stats.