character concept question

Kefrem

how would one make a computer generated hologram superhero? i saw the idea in a book somewhere, where a computer became self aware and in order to study humanity..it created a holographic image with a powerful laser holoemmiter it had secretly had launched into orbit...the lady hero had flight and energy projection powers..but...my question is...would be an A.I. with multiform? or something completely different?

I think I'd go with Duplication on this one. One of the Dupes (no insult intended) would be the computer/AI, and the other would be the hologram.

I'm not sure if I'd use the AI rules to build that part of the character, though... It might be better to just build a "normal" character and then slap on appropriate disads (can't walk, distinctive features, no hands, etc.).

You've got plenty of possibilities for the hologram as well. If it's a hologram, it's going to have Desolidification, right? I'd imagine it would be Always On, and that would mean big points for buying powers with the advantage Affects Physical World.

It sounds like a cool idea, and I'm sure you'll get some more help from the local (virtually speaking) Brain Trust.

Re: character concept question

Originally posted by Kefrem

how would one make a computer generated hologram superhero? i saw the idea in a book somewhere, where a computer became self aware and in order to study humanity..it created a holographic image with a powerful laser holoemmiter it had secretly had launched into orbit...the lady hero had flight and energy projection powers..but...my question is...would be an A.I. with multiform? or something completely different?

I always told my budies I wanted to make a guy like this. I Decided not to when the Matrix movie came out(that was the name I had chosen). I ripped the Idea off of an old TV show though. Anyone remember AutoMan? I always toyed with the idea and never pinned down a solid framework. Anyway, what was your question again? Oh yeah, A.I. multiform.... I would just write up the character as a regular character and consider the special effects when determining powers. Don't try to look too deeply into it. That's what got me into trouble. A character like this can easily run into the 600-700 point category if you're not careful.

Automan.. heh i liked that show.

Back on Topic, in general some things that are "cool" in champions cost way too uch to be practical for player characters. This is one of them. One way you could make it cheaper, would be to buy Desol, Always On, then make it Cost END to turn off, with an end reserve.

First, go check out Star Hero, p.160-162 for Computers as Characters.

It sounds to me like Images and Clairsentience, both with MegaScaled range.

You refer to "the lady hero"---would that be the hologram image? If so, and it has "energy projection powers", you'd need EB or similar with MegaScaled range and perhaps Indirect.

--

I have firm grip on reality; it's just a different reality.

Perhaps you should define more specifics on how it works.

Is any 'real' harm done when the hologram is attacked. Or can it simply be reformed whole again if a situation goes badly.

If the hologram is simply reformed then consider a summon power and build the character normally. If the hologram 'dies' just summon a new one. The GM could find this annoying.

If real harm is done (feedback to the computer matrix?) then consider buying it as a follower or duplication. The computer could beam the hologram home by having a megascale teleport only vs the hologram.

Just a few ideas to consider.