Other treasure

tkdguy

There are some coins today that have a hole in the middle of them to wear them on a necklace.

The only magic item I've seen that was designed to be a source of money was the Everfull Coin Purse or whatever. And I think that one was designed to pay bar tabs and other minor expenses between adventures. "Say, do you have change for a +1/+2 vs. ogres magic sword?"

Originally posted by Blue Jogger

I was in one game where the dead dragon was the biggest treasure...

The scales for magical dragon-scale armor for the cleric and fighter.

The eyes, tongue, bottom teeth, ears, blood, and some bones for the magic user...

I'm doing the same thing in a fantasy game I'm working on. All the equipment is forged from expensive magical ingredients, so even if I can't think of a reason why a Fire-breathing Hellephant would be carrying a purse of gold, they can still take the tusks as treasure, to sell or make fire resistant/fire damage equipment with .

Dear tkdguy ,

I would very much like to help you reward your players properly. Please give us a list of who and what they are. Your world in a short general way, and how it is organized. And the adventure they are on. Do they read this list and what did they just do and how long have they been playing their characters?

I am sure that the many five gentleman that read this forum can help figure ways to torture excuse me to reward your players.

Lord Ghee

Originally posted by Blue Jogger

I was in one game where the dead dragon was the biggest treasure...

I had a character who made a good deal of money off that sort of thing once. The rest of the party thought it was nasty, and got very upset when I started squeezing the dead elf to get every last drop of "elf blood" I could :)

Originally posted by Outsider

I had a character who made a good deal of money off that sort of thing once. The rest of the party thought it was nasty, and got very upset when I started squeezing the dead elf to get every last drop of "elf blood" I could :)

Not to derail my own thread, but your comment reminded me about a conversation at work. a coworker misheard "the animals they make coats from" with "the animals they make Coke from." He jokingly suggested squeezing the animal the way your character squeezed the elf. I replied, "But which bodily fluids are you drinking?"

I had to get that out of my system. I feel much better now.

Lord Ghee, I very much appreciate your offer. I was actually reminiscing about the different games (mostly AD&D) I played in. The other playerrs seemed to have so much money, more than they could carry. I don't know how they did it; their cash seemed to appear whenever they needed it. Of course, they tried not to pay whenever they could.

Why do you think D&D worlds are packed full of "dungeons" built in remote, non-sensical locations, loaded with insidiously clever traps, magical guardians, and stuffed to the brim with "treasure"?

Its been the effort of generations of D&D world governments to keep that *%^$ coinage out of circulation so the economy works!

Why do you think D&D worlds are packed full of "dungeons" built in remote, non-sensical locations, loaded with insidiously clever traps, magical guardians, and stuffed to the brim with "treasure"?

Its been the effort of generations of D&D world governments to keep that *%^$ coinage out of circulation so the economy works!

ven as a kid I knew nobody would build stuff like that. But since my knowledge of architecture was nil, I just envisioned some nobleman ordering an architect to design something to keep his money safe. The problem is, the architect was drunk when he designed the stupid thing. That's why I always preferred city or wilderness adventures to dungeon crawls.

In my experience a critical element to removing the monetary award from adventuring is to get player "buy in". What I mean is that the players must "buy in" to the concept that they are not adventuring to make money and that adventuring will not make them rich.

I stumbled onto this in my last campaign completely on accident. Before starting I had each player fill out a character background sheet. It had all the standard biographical information (Mother, Father, Siblings, Place of Birth , etc.) at the bottom I added Short Term Goals and Long Term Goals. Not a single player listed money or wealth as either for their character. Sure, the "fighters" wanted to master their warcraft, the "wizards" wanted to master their spellcraft, the "clerics" wanted to be the preimminent servant of their greater power, the "rogues" may want wealth. However, since the established path to wealth is that of the merchant, or the nobility, the "rogue" should jump at any chance to "go legit" and pursue their monetary bliss.

With the character backgrounds in hand, I spent more than the next two years (gaming weekly) offering the characters opportunity to seek their goals without monetary reward. Occasionally they were able to make the adventure it's own reward (ala the dragon being it's own reward). However, it was only the introductory scenario (the return of a prominent merchant's daughter) that offered a reward of money.

Hopefully this post doesn't disappear when I attempt to post like it did the first time I tried to a few days ago.

Yea, well, we always invisioned our characters as rouge economicists, implimenting pratical use of our ecomonic theories by ransacking the gold depositories.

Damn, I'm begining to sound like a libertarian now.

Guest Hell_spawnEod

hand me downs

ya and they gave the best barb the better things. when the best one got unneeded weapons and armors and such he would give them to the next in line in str. and they did that

Serendipity strikes again!

I randomly picked an old issue of Dragon magazine and ended up with #207. Guess what is written there? Actually, let me tell you.

1. An article about paper treasure: If your campaign doesn't use paper money, your players could get lots of use from treasure maps, books, or documents such as letters of credit, pardons, or deeds.

2. A table of ordinary things to make the treasure stand out. I'm talking about apple cores, dead spiders, and used clothing.

3. Magical beasts and items from Celtic myth. The Cauldron of the Dagda provided food that nourished only the brave.The Cup of Truth shattered whenever a lie was told in its presence, and it reassembled when the truth was told.