Other treasure

tkdguy

I was watching the Barbarians special on the History Channel when I remembered something. Treasure doesn't always have to come in the form of coins and gems. The Viking chiefs would often reward their followers with valuable items. They were usually made of gold or siver, but they weren't coins.

Jewelry comes to mind. Rings, armbands, necklaces are all considered precious. Many have gems set in them.

Then there are other ornaments. Siver goblets (like the one Bilbo stole from Smaug), statues, and ornaments such as little golden bells or the like are all valuable. I seem to remember those little golden bells being part of the princess' ransom in Shanghai Noon.

Not everything needs to be made of precious metal. A wooden carving woud be prized if it is of exceptional quality. Furs and cloth (especially silk) would fetch a good price in the market. A tapestry would make a good centerpiece.

Let's not forget livestock. Cattle was the measure of wealth in the Celtic world. The Tain (sorry, I can't remember how to spell the entire name), where the Irish hero Cuchulain played a major role, was precisely that: a cattle raid, albeit one of epic proportions. And even in the Mabinogi, the kingdoms of Gwynedd and Dyfed went to war because Gwydion, the heir to Gwynedd's throne, used trickery to obtain the pigs owned by Pryderi, Dyfed's ruler. Even chickens and ducks would be considered valuable to the poor.

In short, instead of stocking the dragon's lair with layers of gold and silver coins, how about putting a little variety in the hoard?

Re: Other treasure

Originally posted by tkdguy [/b]

In short, instead of stocking the dragon's lair with layers of gold and silver coins, how about putting a little variety in the hoard? [/b]

As the PC stand in the layer of the cunning dragon they just hunted down and slew, and the sounds of combat fad into the memory of the past, the subtle sound of lives stock ring in the ears of the heroes.

The money hungry rouge mumbles "what's up with all these animals?" As the poor farmer turned adventurer shouts "Alright Cows!"

:D

-----

Despite how it might sound I agree with you 100%. I try to give my players stuff you normal wouldn't think of as treasuer. I get a few grumbles form time to time, but some times coins and the like just aren't logical treasuers. Over all they like it... or so they say...

Drakkenkin

This reminds me of a short lived "neolithic" fantasy campaign I was in once. No coinage. Pretty much no metal at all, in fact. The party had snuck into another village and raided its communal larder, loading everything they could onto a wagon and quietly driving off with it. It -almost- worked, and then the chase was on. We had to throw everything overboard to get going fast enough to get away :(

The best part, right toward the end, when the raid leader was urging the big dumb guy to throw the last bits of stolen food out the back, was the pained, sadfaced delivery of the line "But...but... Its a HAM!" by said big dumb guy.

Guest zarglif69
Originally posted by tkdguy

That brings to mind a couple of former players who would start chanting "Kill the baby!" in response to that comment.

Eat the baby! Eat the baby!

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Foxx!

tkdguy:

Like your props , this is a great idea. IÂfm starting a new fantasy campaign, and IÂfm going to do this. It feels more realistic, and it gives players more chances to use skills.

Cheers

Thanks for the kind words, Foxx! I hope your players like the idea too.

I don't think I've yet had monetary treasure in my current fantasy game, which has been running weekly for about a year if you subtract a couple-month break. In fact the only "treasure" I can think of are some goodies looted from defeated opponents and a few plot device-type magic items.

Though I did arrange it that after the PCs captured a felonious nobleman, the government named one of them as executor of his estate until he's released from prison. I wanted to cut to the chase and let the PCs have access to money if they wanted it. I figured that was easier than the usual tally of gold in the corner of their character sheets. Which is funny, I guess, because generally they haven't cared much about money one way or the other, except to buy clothes and accessories and other, strictly "color" purchases.

-AA

I was in one game where the dead dragon was the biggest treasure...

The scales for magical dragon-scale armor for the cleric and fighter.

The eyes, tongue, bottom teeth, ears, blood, and some bones for the magic user.

The razor sharp claws for the thief's new daggers.

The skull for the Fighter as a trophy.

And the meat for the poor starving villagers (it was HUGE).

A few worthless broken bones were left for the next dragon that thought this was a good lair...

I need some pointers. All of the players in my group have never played HERO. That's not the bad part as they are willing to learn. The part I'm having problems with is that they come from a gaming system that is, for the most part, money driven and as such they always want rewards that are money based or that are easy to convert to money. I've tried to come up with other rewards for their actions that I would think is cool, but they aren't really happy with them. I have also asked them what would be a good motivation and or reward, but I don't really get any replies.

Should I just stay with the statuesque, give them more time, or what?

Can anyone give me a hand on how to ween the players from monetary rewards?

Drakkenkin

Originally posted by Drakkenkin

Can anyone give me a hand on how to ween the players from monetary rewards?

It doesn't sound like your group is roleplay-heavy, or I'd suggest various warm fuzzies related to character advancement in the game world. How's this for an approach: If the players think of money like "points" in a video game, consider what other video game rewards you can simulate. BFG => cool magic items? Extra life => "teleport from danger" scroll? Companions => Followers? Just brainstorming. Seems like a big one would be "unlocking game features." For instance, if they defeat the goblin king in the caverns under the city, they get access to tunnels that lead to various advantageous places. That kind of thing.

-AA

Originally posted by TAROT

In addition to material objects, other rewards can include:

Fame

Knowledge or access to special training

Friends & Allies (aka Favours & Contacts)

Rank, Titles & Memberships

Awards, Ribbons, Trophies & Attaboys/girls

I use these types of "treasure" all the time. If your players don't understand anything but money, teach them that there are some things money can't buy. Do they let the monster destroy the village because the monster is a mindless animal and has no hoard of treasure, and the villagers are all poor? "Sure, we'll save your village. What will you pay us?" "Uh, a warm bowl of porridge?" "See ya." The total mercenary attitude is likely to earn enemies. Even when the party does get money, the people may refuse to do business with them, or charge them outrageous prices. "A tankard of ale will cost you twenty gold pieces. We need the money to rebuild the village that you let the monster destroy, you see."

Remember also that in a quasi-historical setting, the goods and services that the PC's want aren't necessarily available, at any price. "Armor? We have no armorer in this village. We raise sheep."

First off, I'll be the first to say that there's absolutely no reason not to have a Fantasy Hero game that is pure Hack-n-Slash with money and magic items just waiting for some lucky adventures to manage to get them.

That being said, you need to discover what motivates your players and their characters. Ask them for what their character's plans are:

Are they seeking power? If they are looking for powerful magic items, they probably crave power, and there are many ways to give that to them. Sometimes just beating up a bunch of thugs to save a damsel in distress can be satisifying if it gets them noticed as powerful. Being asked to make critical decisions will also make them feel powerful.

Are they seeking knowledge? There are many different types of knowledge: forbidden, legendary, and, of course, mundane. These characters have a need to know what's going on. It is up to you to reveal it slowly to them. Most will want to use this knowledge for power (or at least to further their goals) and you will have to be ready for that. Knowledge is useless unless they can act upon it. Figuring out the bad guys evil plot (and thus saving the city) also fits here.

Some are just builders. They like to build things. These are the people who had Legos as a kid. You reward their characters by giving them a place to call their own and items that they built with their own two hands. If you break their toys, you will need to remind them that they can build (or rebuild) even better replacements, eventually.

Hero is great for having non-wealth based rewards like Contacts, Perks, Favors, and Reputation. Make sure you and your players know about them so they can learn to acquire them and you can remember to give them out and use them. "Why, you're the Athena's Knight that saved Kittenburg? Why, of course, stay with us, on the house. I insist. Did you know I have a daughter?" Also selling off certain Disadvantages can also be a reward.

I'll think up more later.

Originally posted by PhilFleischmann

"Sure, we'll save your village. What will you pay us?" "Uh, a warm bowl of porridge?"

LOL!

I remember something simular happening in a game, and my character muttered, "Ok, but it better be some damn good porridge." Then the GM reminded us that we've been eating iron rations for the last three weeks.

Originally posted by austenandrews

My players quite remember what their characters have eaten lately, and how long it's been since they've taken a bath and drunk a decent ale. Sometimes they're pleasantly simple to please. :)

-AA

I wish I had your players.

Jewelry has been considered coinage for all recorded history, and I don't mean in barter. Your basic gold chain "bling-bling" started as a form of currancy. Each link of chain is a set weight of gold (for the link size), and thus can be used as a monatary standard. It was common for the rich to wear gold chains, and when they needed to pay for something, break off x amount of links. The gold chain couldn't be easly lifted like a purse could be from one's belt, it was a symbol of status and your coinage, all at one time. This was common up to the 18th century! The Spanish went into this in a large way. Gold chains are recovered from ship wrecks in the Caribbian all the time.