Maneuver Help

CrosshairCollie

I'm planning ahead for a villain team, giving them some code-word maneuvers to use in a fight. I'm devising a move between Tachyon and ... erm ... LeRoy The Awesome Exo-Skeleton Man.

The Maneuver involves Tachyon grabbing someone, then throwing them at Leroy as he launches into a Move-Through, adding Tachyon's throwing speed to Leroy's effective velocity. (Of course, if Leroy's armor doesn't activate, he's going to be renamed 'The Stupendous Splat-Man', but that's another topic.)

Now ... here are the questions ...

1. What's your DCV when being thrown? I'm guessing 1/2, but can't find it for certain.

2. How does the Knockback for the Move-Through work for a situation where the victim is moving towards the attacker?

3. What would you call this particular stunt? ;)

Re: Maneuver Help

Originally posted by CrosshairCollie

I'm planning ahead for a villain team, giving them some code-word maneuvers to use in a fight. I'm devising a move between Tachyon and ... erm ... LeRoy The Awesome Exo-Skeleton Man.

The Maneuver involves Tachyon grabbing someone, then throwing them at Leroy as he launches into a Move-Through, adding Tachyon's throwing speed to Leroy's effective velocity. (Of course, if Leroy's armor doesn't activate, he's going to be renamed 'The Stupendous Splat-Man', but that's another topic.)

Now ... here are the questions ...

1. What's your DCV when being thrown? I'm guessing 1/2, but can't find it for certain.

2. How does the Knockback for the Move-Through work for a situation where the victim is moving towards the attacker?

3. What would you call this particular stunt? ;)

For DCV I would go with 1/2 + Based on Velocity if the victim had anyway of trying to avoid the Impact. (Page 237)

For Knockback I would give -1d6 for being in the Air and if they were coming at each other Stright on I would give -1"knb/5"V.

If the person being thrown was awake I would allow them the chance to do a Move Through on the character they were being thrown at, (If he had an action that phase).

I would call it "The Batter UP!" Maneuver!

A.

"Batter UP'" sounds good, I like that.

While the mechanics sound realistic, they also sound burdensome and tedious to me. (First calculate his velocity, then look up the velocity chart, then add half DCV, etc.) But maybe that's good, because it will discourage the players from using it all the time.

I have a similar manuever I'm mulling over, and wrestling with ease of use versus "realism". I think I'm opting for simplicity, and just give the thrown guy half DCV if he makes a DEX roll and and a DCV of 3 if he fails it. (Falling folks have a DCV of 3, I think it says). On the other hand, such maneuvers might get addicting for PC's, if they're accomplished too easily. So I'm still debating.

If the guy being thrown had enough flight to break free of the STR of the throw, I might rule he could try a Move-Through, but not otherwise. Superleap would be useless, he'd have no way of controlling his path or his timing. If it was a PC being thrown and he had acrobatics, I'd let him use an acrobatics roll to attempt to add a bit more DCV, and the same for levels of flight or such like.

> If the guy being thrown had enough flight to break free of

> the STR of the throw, I might rule he could try a Move-

> Through, but not otherwise.

Not really. I can think of at least one way for even a non-flyer to do a Move-Through in this instance.

Make an Acrobatics roll and flip over in mid-air. If Leroy smashes into to you as you fly sprawling, that's one thing. If Leroy smashes into you just as you did a flip-over and landed a double-footed mule kick to his face, that's something else. :D

Originally posted by Chuckg

> Make an Acrobatics roll and flip over in mid-air. If Leroy smashes into to you as you fly sprawling, that's one thing. If Leroy smashes into you just as you did a flip-over and landed a double-footed mule kick to his face, that's something else. :D

Yeah, I'm a sucker for creative use of skills and powers. Of course, the problem is that Leroy can control the timing and path of the strike, you can't. All you can do is fly along a prearranged trajectory.

Still, I love creative moves by PC's and if this character was aware of Leroy's attack, I'd allow the attempt you describe, giving it a pretty hefty penalty, and root for the PC to make it.

Hey, they do it in the comics! A player who pulled that off would have to feel good after that. :D

I Agree

Originally posted by AtomicGladiator

Yeah, I'm a sucker for creative use of skills and powers. Of course, the problem is that Leroy can control the timing and path of the strike, you can't. All you can do is fly along a prearranged trajectory.

Still, I love creative moves by PC's and if this character was aware of Leroy's attack, I'd allow the attempt you describe, giving it a pretty hefty penalty, and root for the PC to make it.

Hey, they do it in the comics! A player who pulled that off would have to feel good after that. :D

I agree,

Always give the players a chance to do something Heroic.

Always give the villains a chance to do something very Villainous.

It's what the game is about, right.

A.

> Yeah, I'm a sucker for creative use of skills and powers. Of

> course, the problem is that Leroy can control the timing

> and path of the strike, you can't. All you can do is fly along

> a prearranged trajectory.

Hold your action... it ain't like you're doing anything /else/ while you're up there, after all... and wait for Leroy to commit to his charge. Then you'll know when to do the timing.

Granted, it takes phenomenal reflexes to time it that precisely, but we /are/ assuming a superheroic-level martial artist here... it's their shtick!