Laser Tag gear

Koshka

Working on a con game here, and it starts out with the PCs in a training exercise. Since live ammo would be a tad risky, I figure they're using something on the line of a laser tag setup. Unfortunately, it's been years since I played that.

For the gun, I'm thinking 1 point of Flash with appropriate limitations. But should it be a visible light beam, an IR beam or something else?

For the sensor rig they're wearing, Detect seems to be the way to go. However, the rig doesn't cover all of them, so it would only detect hits in certain locations. Just define the Detect as "hit to chest area", or slap a limitation on? And, if I go with option 1, is there a way I can get around using Hit Locations? Maybe assume that since everyone knows where the sensor is, they're automatically aiming there?

Here's what I'd do...

Make the gun a 1-pip RKA (ED) and give everyone a layer of full coverage Armor (1 ED). That will protect against shots that don't hit the sensor.

The sensor would be on a second piece of Armor (1 ED) at Hit Locations 10-11 which would give it an Activation Roll of 8- (-2). After a succesful hit by the gunner, the target would roll to see if the sensor goes off. If the sensor activates then it did indeed "block" the shot. Granted, in this case you DON'T want it to activate, but it should create the desired effect.

Conversely, the shooter could actively aim for the sensor at the standard -3 OCV penalty.

That's how I would do it.

Sort of depends on how much the "laser tag gear fits into the game. The military uses MILES gear (I don't know what it stands for, something about military laser simulation) This uses blanks in real weapons with a laser emitter on the barrel triggered by the blanks, the soldier wears little detectors all over his helmet and torso, not sure about legs and arms. With a system like that I'd just take the normal weapons and add the lim only to trigger MILES gear (no damage or stun) these have a narrow laser which must be aimed like a regular gun and the laser is encoded with weapon info so a rifle can't kill a tank.

For laser tag more like the toys you can buy I'd think they were AE line or a cone, they tend to have a broad beam like a flashlight so aiming for the chest mounted detector is not neccessary but aiming at the individual isn't that hard either since its like aiming a hollywood shotgun. I wouldn't bother with flash, I'd probably just make the vest images, sound and light (flashing lights and loud beeping) and have the gun be a special effect to trigger it, or you could add detect IR lasers to the vest and buy the gun as images (IR laser beam).

Then again you could always go the paint ball route, 1d6 normal attack, 1/2 body (so a six could actually hurt someone, those things hurt if you get hit without padding), images (colored paint spot) and basically build it as a gun.

Do you actually need to define it?

Call it an active Detect IR Beam, Only For Detecting Possible Combat Hits. The definition of an active sense is that it emits some kind of beam detectible by others with the same sense. SFX it away that it takes an OCV vs. DCV roll rather than a PER roll to "paint" your target. So you roll your to hit roll and... BEEP!

One night some friends and I discovered the joys of going hand-to-hand with Laser Tag. :)

For the gun, I'd go with either Images with the Beam limitation (so that it doesn't fill an entire hex with IR), or else (more simply) buy the gun IR Vision with the Transmit option.

The vest would just be IR Vision (maybe 360-degree), only for the specific fequency of the guns. Apply a limitation to the guns and/or vest, so that for 1 Turn after being hit, the gun can't be used, and the vest blinks.

Originally posted by Toadmaster

Then again you could always go the paint ball route, 1d6 normal attack, 1/2 body (so a six could actually hurt someone, those things hurt if you get hit without padding), images (colored paint spot) and basically build it as a gun.

Never thought of paintball, actually. I've never tried it, and considering what a lousy shot I am I probably never will. It would work, though, or I can tweak their weapons a bit and go with MILES gear. Thanks!

Originally posted by archer

Do you actually need to define it?

Probably not, but things are scheduled to hit the fan big time while they're still in their training gear. You never know, someone might come up with a way to get combat effectiveness out of this ....

Originally posted by archer

Call it an active Detect IR Beam, Only For Detecting Possible Combat Hits. The definition of an active sense is that it emits some kind of beam detectible by others with the same sense. SFX it away that it takes an OCV vs. DCV roll rather than a PER roll to "paint" your target. So you roll your to hit roll and... BEEP!

Even simpler: call the vest (or whathaveyou) Detect: Sense: "hits" from tag-gun. Don't define the gun at all; it's effectively a Special Effect of the vest's sensors. You can either have the vest cover specific Hit Locations, or use Activation at the same Limitation & Value as in the "Armor Coverage Table" on p.334 of FrED.

--

Nobility depends not on parentage or place of birth, but on breadth of

compassion and depth of loving-kindness. If we would be noble, let us

be great-hearted.