Question about Star Trek Sensors.

KA.

Just thought of this and wondered what other people thought.

In Star Trek TOS it was quite common for one crewman to be monitoring the "sensors".

When some kind of threat appeared, someone else, usually Spock, would "take over" and "see" things that the other crewman was not able to "see".

So, how do you build this?

Should Sensors be something like:

UV Perception: Only Useable by Others, OAF Bulky (Sensor Array)

And each character using the Sensors must make his own PER roll when he uses them?

This would make sense in the situation above, since the person with the higher INT (Spock) is the one who can "see" more.

Also, the "more experienced" person (Spock, Scotty) would often fiddle around with some controls and then see something.

Would you build this by having something like:

+3 to PER Roll (Requires Systems Operation roll)

to simulate being able to "tune in" the sensors to get a "better picture"?

Is this all standard stuff and everyone does it this way?

I usually always play Champions, so this type of thing doesn't come up, but I just started thinking about it.

Am I the slow kid in class, waving my hand to ask about Multiplication, when everyone else is doing Pre-Calc?

:D

KA.

I just had Steve give me a clarification in the rules thread. Its even simpler than you outlined. Sensor ops is basically a character making a PER roll using Systems Ops as the skill roll (not their PER roll), adding any applicable enhanced perception mods those sensors provide to the sys-op roll.

So the fact that Spock could detect something Crewman Jones did not is really just a matter of Spock having a better Systems Op skill roll.

Adding a Requires Sys Ops Roll as a limitation is redundant, since they use that skill to make the perception test. You could of course keep it, simulating the requirement that sensors need constant adjustment (you would then have the tune sensors roll, then the detect cloaked Romular ship roll).

Aroooo

Originally posted by Aroooo

I just had Steve give me a clarification in the rules thread. Its even simpler than you outlined. Sensor ops is basically a character making a PER roll using Systems Ops as the skill roll (not their PER roll), adding any applicable enhanced perception mods those sensors provide to the sys-op roll.

So the fact that Spock could detect something Crewman Jones did not is really just a matter of Spock having a better Systems Op skill roll.

Adding a Requires Sys Ops Roll as a limitation is redundant, since they use that skill to make the perception test. You could of course keep it, simulating the requirement that sensors need constant adjustment (you would then have the tune sensors roll, then the detect cloaked Romular ship roll).

Aroooo

Okay, cool.

Like I said, I haven't really read the Star Hero books, even though I own them, so I didn't know how this worked.

Thanks, Aroooo!

You also make a good point that Scotty or Spock would "fiddle" (a technical term) with the controls to get more information. You could say they have +5 skill levels with Systems Op rolls. For both those characters that might make sense since neither one seemed to have a problem using other consoles. Maybe that could be the "Starfleet Crosstraining Package"? That could also explain why Ensign Jones couldn't find space (that stuff between planets and stars?) right outside the starship if his life depended on it.

Ah...Ensign Jones' is a red-shirt and will die in this episode anyway. Usually by the second time Kirk says his full name a red-shirt gets killed. How would that work...DRAIN BODY +3D6 Continuous, Incantaitions ("I'm Captain James T. Kirk...") ?

Originally posted by Darth Sarcastic

Ah...Ensign Jones' is a red-shirt and will die in this episode anyway. Usually by the second time Kirk says his full name a red-shirt gets killed. How would that work...DRAIN BODY +3D6 Continuous, Incantaitions ("I'm Captain James T. Kirk...") ?

LOL! Don't forget to add Uncontrolled. Its not like its Kirk's fault that the red shits die. Or maybe Trigger... when he says his name red shirts die :)

Aroooo

Originally posted by Darth Sarcastic

How would that work...DRAIN BODY +3D6 Continuous, Incantaitions ("I'm Captain James T. Kirk...") ?

man, that should really go into a multipower

Kirk Powers

Slot 1 (as above)

Slot 2 (as above but requires extra time and only works on Computers and Androids)

Slot 3 (Replace Drain Body with Mind Control (One command-"fall in love with me") Only works on one person at a time, women only, and requires extra time (until after commercial break))

Slot 4 (6d6 Luck, only when odds seem impossible, or are quoted as virtually imposible by Spock)

Keith "Dammit Bones, I've got over 430 DNPCs up there!" Curtis

Originally posted by keithcurtis

man, that should really go into a multipower

Kirk Powers

Slot 1 (as above)

Slot 2 (as above but requires extra time and only works on Computers and Androids)

Slot 3 (Replace Drain Body with Mind Control (One command-"fall in love with me") Only works on one person at a time, women only, and requires extra time (until after commercial break))

Slot 4 (6d6 Luck, only when odds seem impossible, or are quoted as virtually imposible by Spock)

Keith "Dammit Bones, I've got over 430 DNPCs up there!" Curtis

Slot 2 I think requires the incatation be continuous. After all he is coversing them to death.

In my view sensors and scanners get mixed up. The Enterprise has sensors that run mainly on automatic. They appear to be run mainly by the computer, and will alert the crew of anything interesting or dangrous and even turn on the deflectors.

Once something is detected by the sensors then Spock goes and looks in his funny hood and uses scanners to identify whatever the sensors detected.

Here is a real world anology. US navy ship cruising along and the active sonar comes up with a return. Ok, in this instance the ship has sonar techs watching the display - no computer control yet. Anyway the sonar (sensor) has an object. The passive sonar can be used to listen to the object and analyze what it is (scan it - sort of).