Question On PRIMUS...

ThothAmon

Re: Question On PRIMUS...

Originally posted by ThothAmon

Does the 'Primus PDF' (available from the HERO Games store) replace the old 'PRIMUS and DEMON' supplement? Do you need the old supplement to use the PDF?

Anyone got more info on that PDF? Contents, applicability, critique? Is it better or worse than 'PRIMUS and DEMON'?

It at least replaces the PRIMUS section of the older 'PRIMUS & DEMON' supplement. You do not need the old supplement to use the PDF.

The PRIMUS supplement was written during the 4th Edition era. Since I am currently at work and don't have my PDF here that is about all I feel confident in saying.

Originally posted by ShelleyCM

Dude, it totally rocks. Go buy the thing!

;)

-Shelley

So, do you get a royalty, or is it just pride in a good book? Maybe I will reread it and slam it on a thread...Er I mean review it :).

Actualy it is a good book, while I would not use it "As Is" it is definatly a good start point to customise for your own games.

Also note I NEVER USE ANYTHING AS IS

FWIW:

At the time it was written (late 1997-early 1998), I think it was very good. It was dark (but it was easy enough to cut that stuff out), but bear in mind this was the heyday of the X-files and Babylon 5, so dark was appropriate. It's dated now, certainly; for one thing, the FBI it's based on is very different. The laws are different. And there are sentences in it that make me cringe if I find them again (my writing style has changed a lot).

The bits I'm proud of:

- the characters interweave with one another (that was criticized as being adapted from a campaign, but that wasn't really the case).

- the characters themselves, because they were all very different from one another, and trust me, when you're writing agent after agent, that can be challenging.

- that people wanted to run agent games again after reading it.

- that people started using brownie points again. I think that's a great mechanic (AA used in the original Super Agents).

At the time, the two biggest critiques were:

- Iron Guard as a vehicle

- OIHF and focus in one character.

I don't mean to minimize the people who thought these were serious issues (just check the HML archives), but gaming mechanics to me are always just a mean to an end, and those fit the bill for what I'd envisioned.

As for royalties, I used to. I haven't gotten a check in a long time -- two years? -- I guess need to email Darren about that again.

And I don't use anything as-is either. Ever. If you don't like something in a product, change it!

-Shelley

Shelley, you're too modest. PRIMUS is IMHO a very good book, far superior to earlier writeups for PRIMUS and great value for the price (only $9.95). For that you get 114 pages of:

Details of PRIMUS goals, structure, operating procedures, and relationship with other groups;

Writeups for PRIMUS personnel from field agents up to the (updated) leadership of PRIMUS;

Full character sheets for the new Golden Avenger and four Silver Avengers, plus background to twelve more SAs:

The PRIME Team, high-powered superheroes working for PRIMUS;

A pretty broad selection of PRIMUS weapons, equipment and vehicles;

Suggestions for using PRIMUS as friend, foe or even as the focus of a "super agents" campaign;

The optional "brownie point" system (a great idea for super agents in general);

Built in meta-plots, adventure seeds, and one complete mini-adventure outline with NPCs fully statted.

(I will say that the cover color illustration is nice but pretty small, and the interior drawings are rather rough IMO. That's my only real criticism of the book.)

It doesn't quite do for PRIMUS what the VIPER sourcebook(s) did for VIPER, but it can really enhance the use of PRIMUS in any supers campaign.

BTW you can get an idea of the sort of material the book deals with by visiting the PRIMUS section of Shelley CM's website:

http://www.mactyre.net/scm/primus/index.html

(I really don't know why I always seem to be the main pimp for this book.) :rolleyes: