Superhero Package Deals, by Genre: Bronze Age

KA.

Hello,

For any of you who haven't been following this thread:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13369

I am trying to come up with "Package Deals" that reflect various comic "ages".

They do not need to follow the traditional "Package Deal" guidelines.

Players will not be "required" to use the package deal, they are intended as a method to get GM's and players on the same page when a new campaign is starting up.

So, they should contain things that almost every character from that Age would possess.

For the Bronze Age, I am going to need some help getting started, since I am a more "Four Color" kind of guy myself.

So, start suggesting.:D

KA.

For mutant oriented groups:

Hunted: Anti-mutant groups

Hunted: "Evil" mutants

Watched: Mutie team leader

Distinctive Features: Mutant

The following bits are optional for younger, less experienced mutants:

Martial Arts: some basic stuff

Ego Defence: 5pts

KS: Mutie World

PS: Defender of mutiedom

With modifications, aspects of this "package" might be used by members of other types of teams.

Alternatively, for teams with a strong central leader you could build them with Watched and Subject to Orders disads, with only the leader taking Hunteds. Then the other characters get to fight the leader's Hunteds!

The idea is that instead of everybody having more or less the same Hunteds on 8-, the boss, and therefore the whole team take their hunteds on 11- or 14-. Individual team members may also have specific hunteds with the GM's approval.

Okay, here is my first crack at this.

I expect a lot of disagreement, I am just trying to get a starting point.

Bronze Age Package Deal

Cost Skill

1 Criminology 8-

1 Professional Skill:Psychology 8-

1 Streetwise 8-

Skills Cost: 3

Total Character Cost: 3

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Angst: (Common, Moderate)

15 Hunted by Nemesis/Group: 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

10 Questions Motivations of Friends and Foes : (Uncommon, Strong)

20 Points of Psych. Lims. Especially "Moral Weakness"/"Feeling

Different"/"Outsider"/"Mutant"

10 Rivalry: Professional and Romantic (Rival is another Hero; Rival is As Powerful;

Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

10 Watched by Government Agency: 11- (As Pow, NCI, Watching)

Disadvantage Points: 75

Here is a bit of explanation:

The Familiarities with Streetwise and Criminology reflect that heroes are out of their "Ivory Towers" and having to deal with more "Real World" crime, Drugs, Rape, Prostitution.

The Familiarity with Psychology reflects the involvement in more psychological problems of their own (Alcoholism) or their sidekick/DNPC (Drug Addiction). By involvement, I mean, not just being aware, but actually trying to do something about it.

The Disadvantage Package reflects a higher degree of Self Doubt and Dissatisfaction (Angst) and Doubt about the rest of the world (Questions Motivations).

Rivalry shows the probability that a hero will be involved in a Love Triangle with two other Heroes, or some other type of complicated personal situation.

The Government Watched can cover either an Anti-Mutant, or a Shield type agency, that "monitors" superheroes.

And the 20 Points of other Psych Lims reflect the fact that heroes are just more "screwed up" in this era, or think they are.

The Hunted reflects the increasing tendency to have more deadly enemies that are actually after the Hero, rather than just trying to accomplish their own goals.

Ok, there it is, feel free to tear it apart.;)

KA.

The 70s was a strange time. Comics seemed to go in two directions simultaneously. To the streets and to 'higher realms'. On the one hand you got GA and GL dealing with all sorts of social issues like racism and drug abuse (Spidey, too). But on the other, guys like Adam Warlock and Dr. Strange had totally far out cosmic adventures dealing with mind boggling philosophical concepts in huge thought balloons. Even cartoon animals discussed philosophy back then.

And then you got your kung fu experts in disco outfits. I don't where the hell they fit in. Just fads, I guess.

I find it kind of hard to pin down most eras in comics. There always seem to be about half a dozen or more distinct trends, but not much that's universal.

Actually I have thought of some for the Golden Age, once the US enters the war - Psych Lim: Patriotic and Psych Lim: Hatred of Japs. Some of the racism in GA comics was really shocking by today's standards. It seemed to be much more towards the Japanese than the Germans.

Iron Age would seem to require the following disads:

45 Berserk for almost any reason, go 14-, recover 8-

25 Distinctive Features: T*ts Bigger than Head, Not Concealable, Major Reaction (if hero is female)

or

25 Distinctive Features: Biceps Bigger than Normal Humans' Torsos, Not Concealable, Major Reaction (if hero is male)

25 Psychological Limitation: Must Wear the Smallest Costume Allowed Under Decency Statues (Very Com, Total) (if hero is female)

or

25 Psychological Limitation: Must Wear the Biggest, Spikiest Shoulder Armor Available (Very Com, Total) (if hero is male)

:D

• 5 years later...

Re: Superhero Package Deals, by Genre: Bronze Age

The 70s was a strange time. Comics seemed to go in two directions simultaneously. To the streets and to 'higher realms'. On the one hand you got GA and GL dealing with all sorts of social issues like racism and drug abuse (Spidey, too). But on the other, guys like Adam Warlock and Dr. Strange had totally far out cosmic adventures dealing with mind boggling philosophical concepts in huge thought balloons. Even cartoon animals discussed philosophy back then.

And then you got your kung fu experts in disco outfits. I don't where the hell they fit in. Just fads, I guess.

maybe they were ment as a '70s version of the boxer/ super soldier archtypes

Re: Superhero Package Deals, by Genre: Bronze Age

Iron Age would seem to require the following disads:

You left off

Distinctive Looks: Gritting teeth in an enraged sneer constantly (always, concealable)

Distinctive Looks: Feet smaller than a fingernail (always, not concealable)

Psychological Limitation: Casual killer: Kills for the slightest reason without any remorse (Common, Total)