Got Export Templates?

RPMiller

For those who would be interested, I just posted a zip file that contains all the templates that I have done. Just follow the link above to get to them.

The Export Templates now include Equipment Lists, and Combat Sheets. I hope you all find them useful.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Got Export Templates?

How did you see them in Word.
My templates Export your character in RTF format which Word opens by default with a normal install.

From Hero Designer you do the following:

1) Select File--> Set Export Template...

2) Navigate to and select the Export Template that you want to use. Mine start with RTF, and then you read the description. I identify mine with my name at the end (Robert Miller)

3) Then click open

4) Select File again, and choose either Preview Character... or Export To File...

5) Preview Character will open Word, or your editor of choice, and show you the character. Export To File will save your character to a permanent file.

Hope that helps. You may want to read the Documentation that comes with Hero Designer to learn more bells and whistles that it provides, and visit the Hero Designer forum to ask questions that the manual doesn't clarify for you.

Hope that helps. You may want to read the Documentation that comes with Hero Designer to learn more bells and whistles that it provides' date=' and visit the Hero Designer forum to ask questions that the manual doesn't clarify for you.[/quote']

Thanks you for the quick reply and I know it would be usefull. It's just that I don't have HD. :( I been think about getting HD2, but I don't know what the output looks like, as the demo has its printing disabled (for good reasons :) ), and I don't know if I want to shell out that much cash for something I can just do by hand. (thought it would be a time saver :rolleyes: )

It sounded like you could look at you templates and their layout without using HD to export them.

Thanks you for the quick reply and I know it would be usefull. It's just that I don't have HD. :( I been think about getting HD2, but I don't know what the output looks like, as the demo has its printing disabled (for good reasons :) ), and I don't know if I want to shell out that much cash for something I can just do by hand. (thought it would be a time saver :rolleyes: )

It sounded like you could look at you templates and their layout without using HD to export them.

Technically you can look at the Export Template, but it is all code that you would have to "visualize" what it produces.

I write them in RTF code, so it is pretty clean and easy to modify.

Here is a sample of completely unedited output from HD. I saved it as a PDF after exporting to Word. This will let you see what the output would look like.

Thanks!

It has a nice clean set up. I like it.

Drakkenkin

You will probably notice that it closely matches the published material which is what I was shooting for when I created the template.

The nice thing about HD is that it is much more accurate and a whole lot faster than trying to do stuff by hand, and then to be able to kick out an output that is easy to modify if you want, and easy on the eyes makes HD the best chargen available, IMHO. The most frustration that people experience comes from not reading the manual so I would recommend doing that first.

In addition to quickly creating characters, HD allows you to create prefabs for races, professions, equipment lists, etc. And you can export to HTML for ready made web pages. And you can use the combat record export templates to print out accurate combat movement sheets. And there are several people on these boards that are in the process of creating HD compatible combat/campaign software. All good reasons to buy....

Indeed. You may have also noticed that I have also created, or I'm in the process of creating RTF exports of KillerShrikes combat templates for those that want it in Word instead, and I recently updated my Package Template so that it matches the published versions as well.

I would also like to mention that I'm open to requests, and comments as well for either new templates or changes to the ones that exist.

And you can use the combat record export templates to print out accurate combat movement sheets. And there are several people on these boards that are in the process of creating HD compatible combat/campaign software. All good reasons to buy....

I didn't know that it could do all that.

What type of software, what would it do?

One of the programs that I use is HCS ( the Hero Combat Simulator). There is a link in the other software forum. It tracks phased movement, damage, defenses, and timed events (like how many phases a person is flashed). It also tracks END usage and Body/Stun/END recovery. And I think they are working on a Hero Designer import option. HCS really speeds combat if you have a PC or laptop availble during play. And it allows me to implement some options that otherwise tend to slow things down, such as hit locations and bleeding.