I Want It NOW!

devlin1

I'm trying to build a power that lets the character, given time, teleport any one desired object to his location. If you're familiar with Amber, the idea is a lot like Logrus. He can go searching for, say, a pizza, but he has no control over the toppings. Or he could search for a compact car and end up with a Yugo. So if he were in jail and needed the key, he could indeed teleport a key to himself, but considering how many keys there are in the world, it's not bound to be the right key.

I've built it as a Major Transform: Air into Anything, with a Detect: Desired Objects (Megascale, 1" = 1,000 km) used to find the object(s) in question, but it feels a little clunky. How would you build this? Do you think the Detect should even be required, or should it just be a special effect of the Transform, plus Extra Time to reflect the "search"?

I think that should be fine...just hand wave away the clunkyness...I tried building a Logrus master with a Invisable power effects Multi of streching...Basic streching, megascale streaching and Transdimentional streaching with a clair touch effect stuck on (feeling around) but the contruct gave me a headache, I also threw in extra limbs and a strength only with logrus tendrils...but I think Tranform is actually less tramatic...(Aiee!...did I just say transform was better?)

Originally posted by pinecone

Aiee!...did I just say transform was better?)

Yes... only now do you see the power of the Transform Side.

I was thinking of the NCC at -1, but I'm reluctant to take it because it would seem to indicate a greater lack of control than I was going for. That is, he'd have absolutely no control over what he teleported.

Thanks for the input, all.

Yeah, the GM suggested a VPP, and I guess I'll do that if that's what it takes, but I really don't picture him doing anything extraordinarily useful with it. The best he could/would do would be to get, say, a small car. What can 12 BODY get you in the way of a car, anyway?

In general, I try to avoid VPPs at all costs. There's usually a better way to do it.

I don't think Merlin could get something the size of a car with the Loghrus. I distinctily remember him explaining that he pulled on the tendrils, and if he pulled on something he couldn't move, he's go to it, or the strand would break.

I vote for a small Transdimensional Teleport, Usable against others only..

However, reasoning from effect,

you want to conjure something into existence that did not exist before. That isn't really a Transform...it's more of a Summon.

Maybe Summon [Metaphorical Object] with a Transfrom attached that turns said object into an approximation of what you want.

Otehrwise, yeah, it's a Transform that can turn a desire into Anything.

Just to clarify, this isn't a Hero/Amber game or anything, and this isn't really Logrus, but that was a close enough analogy that it served the purpose. :)

I'll take a look at Summon as a possibility. I tend not to think of Summon for inanimate objects, but then again, I tend not to think of Summon for much of anything.

Come to think of it, he does have a Ranged Summon of antagonistic, violent thugs/guerillas/etc. defined as teleporting pissed-off, armed, confused Normals into the vicinity of an enemy. No guarantee they'll start shooting at the first thing they see, of course, but it is nice and chaotic. Again, though, I've obviously been limiting my perspective on Summon to living subjects.

Adn I do not typoically think of Teleport for moving things around instead of living things...unless Popinjay in the Wild Cards series crosses my mind at the time.

:)

Take a look at the construct for Mechanon's Babies

(summoned robots, or something like that)

that is on this website...somewhere in the errata or free stuff. I understand it is a sampole of what is summoned by Mechanon's power. I don't ave the Mechanon writeup.