Wacky science skills

Tetsuyama

I haven't managed to pick up a copy of Champions yet (I've got most of the other books), but I was wondering if the suggested ordering/prereqs for Dimensional Engineering, Force Field Physics, and the other crazy science skills was included there. I remember that there was an Adventurer's Club article about these, but I can't seem to find my copy (grr...).

• 2 weeks later...

When our campaign first started we had a character named "Widget", a New Zealand (Maori) woman who could "throw together" devices out of whatever was handy, and they worked because SHE made them and was nearby. I thought that it was a brilliant version of a "gadgeteer' but unfortunately the player left the game much too soon. Apart from a character "Jury Rig" in the old "Allies" sourcebook I have never heard of another character like this. Has anyone else done anything similar in their games ?

Hi St Barbara,

I have a really cool PC in my game called Smith. He can summon any object that he touches as long as he can analyze it first. (Bought with a VPP and a control roll. Great VPP concept that is not overly abusive.) The character is not a scientist but the concept is vaguely similar. Smith is really fun...he is a thief who turned good when he realized he could just make whatever he wanted instead of stealing it. He now has a Robin Hood complex. Fun stuff...

Originally posted by st barbara

When our campaign first started we had a character named "Widget", a New Zealand (Maori) woman who could "throw together" devices out of whatever was handy, and they worked because SHE made them and was nearby. I thought that it was a brilliant version of a "gadgeteer' but unfortunately the player left the game much too soon. Apart from a character "Jury Rig" in the old "Allies" sourcebook I have never heard of another character like this. Has anyone else done anything similar in their games ?

This same idea was given treatment in the Wild Cards novels edited by George R.R. Martin. The series revolves around an alien virus which alters DNA. 90% of the victims die horribly. 9% are given unfavorable mutations (usually disfigured). 1% are given favorable (more or less) mutations, usually psychic in nature with some sort of psychological crutch (powers only work within a motif or with some sort of psychological stimulus). Anyway, there are many "gadgeteers" who make devices that should not work. Examining these devices often reveal engines running on apple cores and rubber bands.