Absorption Flash

Sure, it'd be fine with me. Energy would be much more common, for light-based Flashes, but Physical still comes up for eye-pokes and such. Besides giving it a -1 Limitation for only absorbing Flashes, I'd give it another -1/2 if it could only absorb Sight Flashes, or a -1 for another single Sense Group.

/* dons his Rule Geek hat

Absorption vs Flash would be neither PD or ED -- it would be FD. Since FD must be assigned to a sense group, one would assume the Absorption vs FD would have to be assigned as well. This makes a certain kind of sense, given that the special effect of a Sight flashing power is likely to be very different from one that flashes sound.

As JohnTaber pointed out but I feel the need to repeat (it's a common error among people who move to HERO from other superhero RPG's), the Absorption power offers no defense against the attack: it allows you to become empowered by the attack. Reducing the damage of the attack is STRICTLY covered under the appropriate defensive powers (PD, ED, Power Defense, Flash Defense, Mental Defense, and powers which grant the above like Force Wall, Force Field, and Armor).

/* switchs his Hat Mutlipower to the "Game Master" slot

Of course, just because that's the mechanic doesn't mean it should work that simply. The special effect should play no small role in whether or not the absorption applies -- then again, one could argue that should really be true for FD in general. Consider this: all of the following attacks are usually handled using Flash

a> Bright light to the eyes

b> Sand/irritant to the eyes

c> Covering the eyes

Now, personally I'd run "c" with a Usable As Attack Darkness -- especially if the player specifically wanted to use this power to bypass certain logical FD sources (enclosed, polarized goggles could defend against "a" and "b" for example). But then I'm a Rule Geek :D

Originally posted by JohnTaber

Hi Gents,

Absorbtion only works AFTER the damage is taken. So this would not prevent said character from getting blinded. I assume you know that...just a comment... ;)

FYI. I would allow it. Sure!

I just want to correct you on this. Let me quote the book:

The attack applies normally to the character's defenses after he has calculated his absorption.

The book goes on to clarify that absorption to defense does not improve his defense against the attack.

So it goes:

E: Attack Roll

E: Damage Roll

P: Absorption (determine how many points gained)

P: Defense applies

P: Effects from Absorption kick in.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other

Does it really matter if you do the absorption or the defenses first? Aren't they really occurring simultaneously? Absorption provides no defense against the attack, and defenses don't affect the attack with regards to absorption.

Since absorbing an attack can't change the character's response to that attack (you can't absorb points to defenses, stun, whatever) until after the damage is calculated, I'm guessing the order (absorption, then damage) is just to ensure that the character will absorb the attack even if it knocks him out. I think that's the only time the order would matter.

Originally posted by Zaratustra

Or if the character has defenses that only defend the absorbed value.

Or if the character wants to absorb more damage than he'll actually take after defenses.

Oh yeah, right, if he has defenses that are dependent upon the amount absorbed, the order would matter.

But I don't think the 2nd case matters: If an attack does 8 BODY, and my absorption roll lets me absorb 10 character points, I'll get 8 points from it. If I've got a relevant defense of 8/more, I'll take no damage, but still get the points.