question about END. Drains

I cant seem to find an answer to this one, maybe somebody here can help.

(A vs. B for example)

A uses an END. drain on B that would suck B to -12 END.

Now would B take stun damage from losing this END( as in using END that you do not have available), does -12 END =6d6 of NND stun damage?

Please let me know if this example is not clear enough for a proper answer.

Re: question about END. Drains

Originally posted by wolflaughing

(A vs. B for example)

Now would B take stun damage from losing this END( as in using END that you do not have available), does -12 END =6d6 of NND stun damage?

As I understand it no. If you are subjected to a Drain that reduces your END to a negative number, that in and of itself, does not cause any STUN damage. In essence getting your END drained to negative values just means it will take that much longer to recover to positive END.

Of course, since you now have no END, anything else you do that costs END will cause you burn STUN in place of END.

Originally posted by wolflaughing

(A vs. B for example)

You've already asked this and Steve has already answered. Just to be clear:

The END drain does not do any STUN damage. The target (in this case B) is at a reduced END level (potentially 0 or negative depending on how much you drain). In effect, this is the same as if he had already spent all his END for powers, movement, etc. (Note: normal use of END doesn't make it go negative - only to zero).

Since B is at -12 END, to perform any action that requires any END expenditure means that he has a few options.

1) Wait until the drained points return so that he has a positive END total.

2) Perform the action anyway and burn STUN points to supply the END for the power. This follows the standard rules of using STUN when your END has been reduced to zero.

The only question here is: Do you need to spend STUN to overcome the negative END total. IMO, you do not have to. For one, this could be very abusive - especially in a super-heroic game where everyone spends a lot of endurance. Two, the burning of STUN for END doesn't actually change you END total. Think of STUN as an alternate power source or as a side-effect for using a power when you have a non-positive END total.

!DrFURIOUS!

Re: Re: question about END. Drains

Originally posted by Edsel

As I understand it no. If you are subjected to a Drain that reduces your END to a negative number, that in and of itself, does not cause any STUN damage. In essence getting your END drained to negative values just means it will take that much longer to recover to positive END.

Thanks,

thats really the direct answer I was hoping for

I know this has been answered eight ways from Sunday, but I thought I'd put in my two cents anyway.

STUN damage is taken when spending END puts you into the negative. When you're completely exhausted and you insist on pushing yourself further, it's harmful. Draining END is not the same as forcing someone to spend END, so it doesn't cause STUN Damage. Further to this, as has been pointed out, spending END after an END Drain has put you at negative END will do STUN.

Hmm.... Well, keep in mind I like the complex power constructs.

5d6 END Drain

plus

4d6 STUN Drain, Linked: END Drain, Trigger: When Target's END Has Been Drained To Zero

Does this work? I mean, do Linked and Trigger work together the way I want them to? The way I see it is this: the Linked modifer comes into play when the END Drain is activated, but the Trigger prevents it from taking effect until the condition for its use is present.

The other way would be this:

5d6 Drain, END or STUN One At A Time, Can Only Drain STUN If Target's END Is Zero Or Below

Yes?

How about a Multipower with an END drain and a STUN drain. The character has no control over which slot is used (-0 limitation), and the STUN drain only works, and switches on automatically, when the target has 0 END.

I'd even handwave the STUN drain cutting in partially when the target has 0 END if he pays for standard slots intead of ultras.

Originally posted by devlin1

5d6 END Drain

plus

4d6 STUN Drain, Linked: END Drain, Trigger: When Target's END Has Been Drained To Zero

Does this work? I mean, do Linked and Trigger work together the way I want them to? The way I see it is this: the Linked modifer comes into play when the END Drain is activated, but the Trigger prevents it from taking effect until the condition for its use is present.

5d6 Drain, END or STUN One At A Time, Can Only Drain STUN If Target's END Is Zero Or Below

Yes?

Originally posted by devlin1

5d6 END Drain

plus

Yes?

I think the second construct is a cleaner (and cheaper) version. The first one seems overly complicated to achieve the desired effect.

I'm glad I found this. I was designing a character based around END Drain (actually a "life-force" END Transfer) and thought that Draining to negative END might mean the target would have to take recoveries before attempting any END-using actions or the negative END would "collapse" to zero and do Stun damage. This makes much more sense.

5d6 END Drain

plus

Does this work?

No. Trigger is an Advantage, not a Limitation. If you had a Multiple power attack that drains both END and STUN at the same time, you just buy it at what it costs, you don't have to pay for an additional advantage. The "trigger" in this case is a Limitation: "Stun Drain only works in certain circumstance (when the target has 0 or less END)." That's maybe a -1/2 or so.