Block & Counterstrike with 2 Weapons

Dust Raven

I know this has been talked to death, but I could have sworn I saw the subject twitch so I'd better make sure...;)

Yes, this is another infamous counterstrike in the same Phase as you make your Block topics. I'm wondering how to simulate this with using 2 weapons.

Should I use the Damage Shield option (which I'm leaning toward at the moment) or is there another option (other than making a clunky new martial maneuver) I'm missing?

Here's what I'm thinking:

Counterstrike/Doublestrike: HKA 2d6 Continuous (+1), Damage Shield (any contact, +3/4), Reduced Endurance (half, +1/4) (Active Cost: 90), Restrainable (-1/2), Only After A Successful Block or Strike Roll (-1/4), Requires An Attack Roll (-1/2). Total Cost: 40

I'm figuring it can be used to attempt a strike against an opponent you've just blocked, or just successfully struck with some other melee attack (but doesn't affect someone who successfully melee attacks him).

I haven't found anything better that makes any sense. Link an attack to a martial block, nothing says you can't except dignity. Missile Reflection, no range?

EB with trigger and no range was suggested in a previous thread. I haven't crunched the numbers, but it makes more sense than the damage shield

Originally posted by BoneDaddy

EB with trigger and no range was suggested in a previous thread. I haven't crunched the numbers, but it makes more sense than the damage shield

I hate Trigger for situations like this. Until I see some documented, published rules for Triggers that automatically reset (which I hear are in Digital Hero, but I can't spare the $5 yet) I'll use any other method I can find.

Re: Block & Counterstrike with 2 Weapons

Originally posted by Dust Raven

I know this has been talked to death, but I could have sworn I saw the subject twitch so I'd better make sure...;)

Counterstrike/Doublestrike: HKA 2d6 Continuous (+1), Damage Shield (any contact, +3/4), Reduced Endurance (half, +1/4) (Active Cost: 90), Restrainable (-1/2), Only After A Successful Block or Strike Roll (-1/4), Requires An Attack Roll (-1/2). Total Cost: 40

I'm figuring it can be used to attempt a strike against an opponent you've just blocked, or just successfully struck with some other melee attack (but doesn't affect someone who successfully melee attacks him).

Thats a good construct and it will work exactly as you've outlined it.

However; with the new (optional) rules added to the Sweep maneuver, using Damage Shield (or Trigger) for a double-strike move is no longer necessary. If I were your GM, I'd suggest you use the limitation Only after a successful block roll for -1/2 and use the new Sweep rules for two hit moves.

Of course, if you don't want the character to be at 1/2DCV when using his Double-Strike maneuver, use your damage shield construct as written and you're good to go...

Re: Re: Block & Counterstrike with 2 Weapons

Originally posted by NuSoardGraphite

Thats a good construct and it will work exactly as you've outlined it.

However; with the new (optional) rules added to the Sweep maneuver, using Damage Shield (or Trigger) for a double-strike move is no longer necessary. If I were your GM, I'd suggest you use the limitation Only after a successful block roll for -1/2 and use the new Sweep rules for two hit moves.

Of course, if you don't want the character to be at 1/2DCV when using his Double-Strike maneuver, use your damage shield construct as written and you're good to go...

I don't want to be at 1/2 DCV, and I also want to hit anybody who attacks me, but only if I abort to block and succeed in blocking their attack. I'm afraid Sweep doesn't even come close (one of the first things I considered though).

The TWF comment got me to thinking...

Here's the character's basic concept. He's a psion with the ability to create and manipulate ectoplasmic force. Generally, he just makes weapons, such as swords and knives which he can strike, block and deflect with, but can also create a force field, leap really far and has minor TK.

Anyways, his focus in on martial combat. He's not formally trained, but he's had to ability to have a blade in his hand any time he wants since he was 6, so I figure he's pretty good with them.

I see him as almost always creating two swords, or a sword and knife combo. The problem is, since he's not actually carrying any weapons, or equipment of any kind, I'm not sure how to apply the rules for using his Powers. Even though he usually summons two swords, I'm not buying his Multipower a second time at full cost. So I'm looking for alternatives to allow him some of the tricks two weapons fighters commonly display in the movies.

The one I'm having trouble with is a counterstrike. (I can use Sweep for strikeing multiple targets, or the same target twice. In this case, I don't mind the 1/2 DCV as much).